1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The boxing

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Sweats, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I’m not going into detail on this ****house of a site how I know things about these deals.

The fact is Joshua isn’t as in-demand in the market where he could have made a huge killing, my point is that Hearn has ****ed that deal, it’ll be extremely difficult to get anything like those numbers on the table for AJ again.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The market's not in the US though, which is why Wilder's been making relatively **** money until he fought Fury.
    Joshua can make more by breaking the US, but he's already making a ****load over here.
    He made more from fighting Povetkin than Wilder did from fighting Fury, for example.

Joshua's problem is that the two biggest draws other than himself are facing each other.
    There's a massive drop off after that, which is why Whyte's back in the frame and it looks like he's going to be facing Miller in New York.
    He'll still make a load of money from it, but it's not a particularly interesting fight, on paper.

FosseFilberto and BigFox like this.
  3. Tel (they/them)

How is the market not there in the US? I’m not saying that Wilder is the draw here, I’m saying the US is the place for the big fight and RN the yanks have a hardon for Fury and AJ’s stock is **** among casual fans because he turned down Wilder.

Now he’s desperate to get back in so fighting that fat mess Big Baby. If AJ loses that he’ll be one of the biggest laughing stocks of all time for how his career has been handled.

J๏E.. likes this.
  4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Joshua's last two matches sold out Wembley - over 90k each time. The biggest draw in US is a Mexican in Canelo and his biggest crown was 50k in a stadium that holds twice that. The only money in the US is sponsorship - most of which is pretty much money laundering.

Wilder still isn't a name in the US, Fury is and only because he did an Undertaker impression not because of his ability.

Joshua's career would be a laughing stock if he lost? Would 3 world titles and almost single handedly bringing boxing back into the mainstream here in the UK be so easily forgotten by people like you?

Lewis lost to a nobody in Rahmen, Tyson lost to Douglas - how are they regarded?

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The market in the UK is bigger, which is why Joshua's making more money than Wilder.
    The viewing figures and attendances are actually lower in the US, though the event costs a lot more on PPV.
    Joshua v Parker and Klitschko were both around 1.5m viewers, while Wilder v Fury was 325k in the US.

Miller is a bit of a joke opponent. He's a big bloke though, so it could go wrong.

BigFox likes this.
  6. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Miller reminds me of Riddick Bowe - has all of the potential to be a big star but none of the discipline.

7. Tel (they/them)

Bringing boxing back into the mainstream... Are you a casual fan or something? Such a fan boy thing to say.

Ricky Hatton has sold more in a PPV mate, which conveniently proves my point that the US is a different level and Hearn ****ed AJ’s biggest payday.

8. Tel (they/them)

The market potential in the US is huge, the casual fans are paying these big boxers. The whole reason boxing subscription channels do crap is because the casual fan doesn’t subscribe.

Mayweather’s figures show that, I doubt anybody will get near his numbers but it shows the market size.

9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

It is a fan boy thing to say and you have no retort but to made a bad attempt to mock me and prove my point - 10 years ago Hatton sold more in a PPV against the biggest draw on the planet in Floyd Mayweather - which Briton has come close since?

(I'll give you a clue - his initials start with AJ)

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Wilder hasn't attracted enough of those casual fans, though. Two Youtubers outdid him last year.
    If Joshua were to fight and beat Wilder, then he'd have nothing to go for in the US. The standard at heavyweight there is appalling.

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Why do you have such a hard-on for the US? Back in the day the likes of Lewis needed to go there because that is where the big draws are but now, the two biggest draws are English (even if one of them tried to ditch his nationality and become Irish multiple times but that is neither here nor there).

Casual UK fans paid Joshua over £42m in his last two fights - that is more then Wilder made ever in his career so that tells you a lot about the market there.

12. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Exactly right - let Joshua have his dream of fighting in a legendary arena a quarter of the size he is used to then come back home where the real fans are.

13. Tel (they/them)

Why would huge amounts of boxing fans (casual or otherwise) subscribe to Fury vs Klitschko when it was on TV at 4 (US time) in the afternoon?

There’s more to this than PPV sales, which is why HBO can shove big amounts on the table that AJ won’t ever see in the UK.

14. Tel (they/them)

You’re such a fan boy <laugh>

15. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

As an ex-boxer and seeing the way both fight, Wilder would be AJ's worst fight ever, he swings and rings but his natural foot movement is good until he swings wildly.. AJ is a cautious jabber, always looking to grind the opponent down but Wilder will be hard to catch. This fight is a bit like Bruno v Bonecrusher with a bit of flair and personality chucked in..<ok>

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

You are on a football forum and talking about boxing - we all are you numpty <doh>

17. Tel (they/them)

Okaaaaaay then.

18. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Wrong - it was Anthony Joshua.

You aren't that much of a fan boy are you <laugh>

19. Tel (they/them)

<doh>

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Would be a fun fight - the proper boxer vs the out and out fighter.