1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The boxing

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Sweats, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Cheers mate. Me neither.

2. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Only if Fury won - contracts are in favour of the champion.

Both have said that they want a rematch and there will be big money in it so unless Joshua wants to fight one of them for some reason, I can't see any reason for it not happening.

PleaseNotPoll and Burly Hurley like this.
  3. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

After this morning's result I'd have thought the boxing world would be well in favour of an immediate re-match. There has to be a result between these 2 guys before anyone else is considered.

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I agree - I had Fury win 114-112 like the American judge (who couldn't add up properly). The Mexican judge's scorecard is a bit of a pisstake but can see how the early rounds could sway towards Wilder who was more aggressive if ineffectual while Fury was showboating a lot.

please log in to view this image

5. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

What I liked best about the last couple of fights is that it makes the heavyweight division much more interesting as everyone at the top is not 100% dominant and have shown weaknesses which make for more better fights.

Joshua is at the top but his last fight against Polovkin showed that he is susceptible to being marched down by an aggressive fighter - kudos to him for adjusting his game and knocking out someone who had never been knocked out before but how would he fare against someone like Wilder who is a knockout artist? He also very nearly punched himself out before he got the knockout - how would he fare against Fury who is very difficult to hit?

Wilder is next by virtue of holding a title but was severely outboxed by Fury and I think only landed single figure meaningful shots - he did show that he has the power to knock down Fury and was telling that the best shot he hit was when he finally decided to change his one trick shot. Was interesting that after that shot he threw nothing else - Fury literally took all that he had, albeit in the final round.

Fury has proven a lot of people wrong - including myself - who expected him just to be a large step for Wilder before he faces Joshua. He is still the best pure boxer in the division but the only thing he is lacking is power. He never was a one punch knockout but the amount of shots he hit Wilder with should have done more then just bruise his eye a little. He showed he had fortitude by sitting up at the count of 9 and still fighting back in the last round.

People are calling him the Undertaker after that - you can see him coming back to life at the count of 5 and getting up at 9 below.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Can't see why he wouldn't but for contractually issues, those fights are were the money is at. Both Wilder and Fury should want to fight AJ, he's the man to beat.

Blueman likes this.
  7. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Only reason why he wouldn't is because he is making bank fighting nobodies atm. Also his two biggest rivals are facing each other and raising their profiles to his level which means that when he fights the winner, it will be a true superfight like the good old days.

Interestingly it seems that Joshua would prefer fighting Fury - he called him out straight after his Klitschko fight.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

By the time he's have faced Fury & Wilder, someone else could be on the seem. He'll He could have rematch with either of those two and make a mint too if he wanted.

9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Exactly - Joshua is on top and in a really good place atm.

Personally I would like him to fight Manuel Charr and Trevor Bryan - Charr holds the regular WBA belt, Bryan holds the interim WBA belt while Joshua holds the super WBA belt. This is extremely stupid to me so matches to unify the belts would keep things ticking along while the more interesting fights develops.

10. Angry_Physics

Angry_Physics Well-Known Member

Fury edged that fight, but you have to do more than edge a fight to beat the champion.

IF this was a non title fight, Tyson would have got the decision imo

11. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

If AJ isn’t finished in 2.5 to 3 years time, mark my words Daniel Dubois will take his ****ing head off.

12. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Fury.

****ing legend!

13. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Maybe in 5-6 years but not that soon. Kid is only 21 - wouldn't even be fully grown then.

14. Tel (they/them)

What?

Do you know how old Mike Tyson was when he started taking home belts?

15. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Tyson had 30 odd fights before he was 20 - this kid only has 8.

He has fought in Leicester a couple of times and has I have heard good things - no need to throw him straight in at the deep end.

16. Tel (they/them)

Do you know how many fights AJ had before he beat Charles Martin?

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about this kid, Dubois, but if he’s that good he won’t be held back for long.

At my age I’ve seen em all from Ali onwards. There’s no doubt in my mind that the Tyson of the mid 80’s was one of the greatest of all time. He ****ed himself up.

BigFox likes this.
  18. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

19. Tel (they/them)

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I can't say that I have watched a lot of this kid - if he is a prodigy like Tyson and fights multiple times a year for the next 3 years and rises up the ranking to face Joshua then kudos to the lad.

Having another world class English heavyweight is a good thing - also his nickname Triple D is hilarious to me as well for some reason.