1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'At least Mr B offered' US Grand Prix predictions and chat

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 16, 2017.

?

Who will get to shake Trumps hand first

Poll closed Oct 21, 2017.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

84.6%
  2. Seb Vettel

7.7%
  3. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kimi Raikonnen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Danny Ricciardo

7.7%
  7. Felipe' Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dick Dastardly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. El Bando (go on, vote for yourself)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

LOL

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Never use sentences or phrases, you have to pretend google is a drunk Mexican,so just the important words, in this case "Aquaplaning F1 GB". For me it's something that should be taught to kids at school, who could then use it to teach themselves anything. Certainly a lot more useful than learning highly edited certificate U versions of ancient Greece, who seemed to be obsessed with incest and rape.

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Seems the american F1 fan base are embracing all things F1 now

wheres manny.jpg

4. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Well that explain's it all man, I was using words like, STOWE, CLUB, SILVERSTONE, CATCH, FENCE, WET, TRACK, what a bloody idiot I am.

And yes, totally agree about modern education !!!!!! this country is f-cked and incest and rape is still happening, I'd better stop or I'll get arrested for upsetting someone who is offended by my opinion.

5. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Just remembered 1973 <laugh>

6. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Really Now, Horner??????

There is nothing about that decision or this explanation that makes logical sense or any sense at all! Rubbish!!!!

Red Bull says no attempt to keep upgrade a secret from Ricciardo
    Red Bull insists that there was no attempt to keep Max Verstappen’s engine upgrade secret from Daniel Ricciardo, despite the Australian knowing nothing about it until told by the media.
    Verstappen was handed Renault’s new-spec engine, which features 2018 development parts, for the United States Grand Prix weekend.

The changes were estimated to be worth up to two tenths of a second if allied to the right fuel development, and Ricciardo was caught by surprise after qualifying when told that his teammate had a slight performance advantage.

Ricciardo’s lack of knowledge about the engine situation prompted wild conspiracy theories about Red Bullfavouring Verstappen - especially in light of the Dutchman's new contract.

But the team itself says it never thought to mention the upgrade to Ricciardo because it did not believe there was a worthy performance gain from the new power unit.

“It is very difficult for us to measure what the difference is,” said Red Bull boss Christian Horner. “Renault have only made one engine available to each team and Max was due a change here.

"So obviously it made logical sense for that to go in his car this weekend and then take the penalty.

7. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Horner is not my favourite paddock personality but in all sincerity, I believe the substance of what he's saying here: my understanding is that Renault powered teams were indeed given one new-spec engine each and I do not seriously doubt that Verstappen was due a new unit before Ricciardo.

That said, I'm going to read between some lines and suggest that Verstappen has – and is continuing – to carve himself a favourable situation at Red Bull. Regardless of this particular bit of 'circumstantial evidence', I think Ricciardo would do best to get out as soon as he gets a reasonable offer from another top team, regardless of who such an offer might pair him with. Oddly enough, I can see it being Mercedes at some point. I don't see it as Ferrari and McLaren have an awful lot of catching up to do before they can be considered as a 'top team' again – although it is probably more likely than Ferrari!

Reinforcing my expressed view, I really don't see Renault as becoming a top team in the forseeable future. Once they've got their hands on the the very different engine, I think McLaren are likely to get ahead of Renault reasonably quickly. The operation at McLaren is still more competitive than Renault which I believe is unlikely to gain another World Constructors' Championship in my lifetime!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    dhel likes this.
  8. Big Ern

Has a works team ever been worse than all it's customers?

9. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Worse than all its customers? Not being Karun Chandhok, perhaps you'll correct me but I think the answer is no. However, some teams certainly have; and so far as Renault are concerned, Red Bull is a prime example.

Now, whilst I do not see McLaren Renault beating Red Bull Renault over the course a first season with a new engine, yes, I can see McLaren out-scoring Renault towards the tail end of 2018 – even if they may find themselves lagging a little in terms of its specification!

10. Big Ern

I don't think McLaren will be too far off, the chassis seems pretty good to me, with a better engine they could be challenging. That said they had a great car in 2012 and they decided it needed to be redesign it into a crap one. Renault should get a bit closer to the Ferrari and Mercedes power output, using the logic that the better your engine at the start the smaller the gain.
    I will admit that I'm being fairly optimistic, as that happening would mean 5 or 6 drivers could challenge for the WDC, though that will probably happen in 2020, just before the new rules come in to play.

P.S. on your way to Mexico?

11. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

While Max may have been due an engine, it wouldnt have hurt to inform Danny.. Hearing that for the first time from the press and after qualifying is no% good public relations within your organisation. It will only breed unnecessary discontent and suspicion..something you dont need at this point. There was enough of that with Vettel and Webber dont you think?

12. Big Ern

ha, most of that was political bullshit PR from Webber to put the pressure on Vettel, it worked a bit at first, especially on the British public, he went crying to a camera every chance he got. "wah, when the wing I didn't want or like and got broken, they fixed it and put it on Vettels car, wah wah" "wah wah, Vettel ignored team orders and stole my win, wah wah, he's out of order, even though I tried more than once to do the same to him previously and failed, wah wah" hypocritical 2 faced tosser.

and

relaaaaaxxxx

13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Williams Toyota was better than Toyota one year

14. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Red Bull are better than Renault... despite what they badge the thing as.

15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I think works partnership holds the aces IF the two key things are done properly- chassis and power unit. The integration and pre-planning they have from the outset buys them time and creativity and that's priceless.

However, right now RBR have a genius in the chassis dept and Renault Sport are in their infancy really as they bailed out Lotus and are rebuilding.

McLaren are another who seem to have sorted their chassis so next year they too could beat the works Renault team if the works chassis dept doesn't come up to scratch.

Mercedes (and this season Ferrar) have shown what happens when you hold the economic works resource advantage and you use it properly.

You look at these Merc customers and they're all miles off the pace still, even on power tracks.

Works team have an advantage but using that advantage is another thing entirely and that's where Mercedes have been very good.

On a side note- anyone have an incline as to how much the late change to Renault may compromise McLaren chassis design?