1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Ashes 2021

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Plum, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Seems like they'll move heaven and earth to get the Ashes on but England won't go to Pakistan. Leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth, especially after India and the 5th test episode.
    I agree there's probably too much international cricket being scheduled these days and security/health issues need to be taken into account but this all stinks a bit to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58788751

upload_2021-10-6_13-24-24.png

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It was a shame about the Pakistan trip, but I can understand what is happening in their neighboring country, the security risk and the effect on players that may feel uneasy, then I can understand why it didn't go ahead. Though why they couldn't change it to the Middle East I'm not sure?

3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

My guess would be that they didn't really want to go anywhere. Too much cricket and not enough value in a relatively short tour. As far as the security risk goes of course there may have been one but it's strange that the British High Commission in Pakistan were unaware of it.

Pakistan and W.Indies kept English cricket alive during the dark days of summer 2020.

4. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Very often what is said and what the truth is can be completely different, I guess you could well be right.

5. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

I'll be v surprised if the ashes goes ahead. Sheffield shield matches are being cancelled due to cv concerns, no one can get in or out of WA and players can't be arsed to quarantine for 2 weeks with only a couple of hours a day outside their rooms for training.

6. pierredelafranchesca

As for Pakistan, we ****ing owe them after they toured last summer and couldn't be arsed to spend 4 frigging days there. There was no adverse security advice from our end, it was utter bullshit that we didn't go.

Plum likes this.
  7. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

As J Ex says we'll never really know the truth of the matter but it does leave an unpleasant taste.

8. pierredelafranchesca

This tweet from Christian Turner - Britain's high commissioner to Pakistan spoke volumes to me, 'This was a decision made by the ECB......The British High commission supported the tour and didn't advise against it on security grounds.....'

9. pierredelafranchesca

This tweet from Christian Turner - Britain's high commissioner to Pakistan spoke volumes to me, 'This was a decision made by the ECB......The British High commission supported the tour and didn't advise against it on security grounds.....'

10. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member