1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Arts Thread (Paintings, Music etc)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

I'm a great fan of the Teddy Bear Ladies.

SwanHills likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Beautiful Bustino <ok>

3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Me too. Did you see that one recently when they were set to repair that leather rhino? It required re-stuffing at the bum end before putting its tail back in place. Just as they started to stuff straw (or whatever) into its ass, they both collapsed laughing. What a fit of the giggles, took them both a while to recover. Quite a hilarious scene. Needless to say, they both did a marvellous job, and repaired the old leather rhino perfectly. Repair Shop, as I said before, is one of my favourite programmes on BBC-1. <ok>

Bustino74 likes this.
  4. Bustino74

This track is from a 1969 LP called Super Black Blues and is an iopportunity for these 3 (or 4) giants of Blues/R&B to improvise and stretch out. It was recorded live in the studio and just a minute into the recording you hear Joe Turner correcting T-Bone saying 'you can't say it twice, it's either one thing or the udder'.
    Attributed to T-Bone Walker this song is really a mash-up of Paris Blues (T-Bone), excerpts from Joe Turner songs and a section from a song by Otis Spann. You get the three vocalists, the polished guitar of T-Bone, brilliant piano from Otis Spann and sympathetic harmonica from George Smith. To my mind the latter two take the awards.
    Spann's vocal section seems to lift a song from his recently recorded 'The Biggest Thing since Colossus' LP. This LP featured him, his songs, his drummer plus Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and John McVie of Fleetwood Mac. Though Green was always capable of playing hard 'Chicago' blues he goes full throttle on this LP/CD. Apparently Spann loved the sessions and musicians and was wanting to do it all again. Sadly within 6 months of the Super Black Blues session Span died from liver cancer.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tamerlo and SwanHills like this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

SwanHills likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Au re-voir

8. SwanHills

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Ron likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers Swanny. Hope you are all well too. Strange that I had never heard of this talented quartet until their version of Hey Jude appeared on my FB. I shared it and my wife and daughter think they are great, as do I. I doubt you will be interested but my thoughts on the Arc were published on the Not 606 Horse Racing FB here on 10th July

10. SwanHills

Ron likes this.

11. SwanHills

Bustino74 likes this.
  12. Bustino74

SwanHills likes this.
  13. SwanHills

"Yesterday's Music", a bit of Tamerlo-style nostalgia, this time with music. The long-forgotten days when melody, yes melody, was the key ingredient of popular swing music. Here's Cole Porter's "Begin The Beguine" played by the Artie Shaw orchestra. Ah, nothing like a bit of happy memories!

Artie Shaw - Beguin The Beguine ( Cole Porter ) - YouTube

Ron and Tamerlo like this.
  14. SwanHills

....and here's the great Joe Pass playing his jazz guitar rendering of Erroll Garner's own composition, "Misty":

MISTY by Joe Pass - YouTube

Ron and Tamerlo like this.
  15. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Brilliant, Ron. And what a legacy Freddie left to the world with that number!
    As a post-script, I went to a Dairy Transport Managers’ Conference in Torquay in the mid nineties.
    A group played pop songs by blowing into glass bottles- taken from over a hundred of assorted sizes, some only a couple of inches tall.
    When they opened it up to requests, I asked for Bohemian Rhapsody- to be jokingly awkward.
    They responded and their rendition absolutely brought the house down! The packed audience couldn’t believe what they’d heard and clapped them senseless.
    Sadly, I couldn’t tell you their name.

16. Tamerlo

Top notch, Swannie! I bet Artie played that a few years before my pater got his ‘rhythm method’ all wrong!<laugh>

SwanHills likes this.
  17. SwanHills

I wondered whether or not I should put these two clips up as music has changed so much from those distant days. However, I took the cue from your excellent "Down Memory Lane" posts. I do not dislike modern-day popular music, far from it, but admit to being very choosy. :emoticon-0100-smile
    Swing has more or less vanished, but good jazz, modern or traditional, will live for ever, IMHO.

Ron likes this.
  18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I accidentally came across Carly Simon singing this live on the Queen Mary 2 (no I wasn't on it) but I prefer the Glen Miller version.

Keep them coming Swanny. Great for us oldies to reminisce

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My brother had these big bands in his record collection. I remember playing these 78s on a gramophone. Great big needles moving across the vinyl. Big breakthrough was the loading of several 78s and the auto changer. I used to vary the volume by stuffing a sock in the speaker <laugh>

Unfortunately I have an unexpected visit to the UK soon as my brother passed away recently at the age of 92

20. Tamerlo

All my sympathy, Ron. Ninety two is a good age but it’s always sad when we lose a family member.
    Trouble is that the older we get, more and more friends and family die around us.

Ron likes this.