1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Arts Thread (Paintings, Music etc)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Seal going a bang up job.

Ste D likes this.
  2. Cyclonic

He ain't bad.

Ste D likes this.
  3. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

The master at work!

<iframe width="764" height="573" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Nua5klb4Os" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favourite soul singer.

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

This one was a hit my side of the pond when I first went to college back in 2001.It was played in a Guinness advert which you can see at the start of the video starring a young Michael Fassbender.Mic Christopher died in a tragic accident shortly after this song was released:He had a great career ahead of him.

Cyclonic likes this.
  5. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

As someone who has always liked travelling, I watch a lot of "trip reports" on YouTube. Most are flight reports by the same 4 or 5 people, who film their long haul flights in Business or First Class and, whilst pretending to inform, are actually just saying "Oooh look at me, how important I am, how often I fly business class". Getting pretty sick of those buggers actually.

But then we have "Paul's Trip Reports" - Paul is a pretty down-to-earth English bloke who posts videos on pretty much any travel he does. This can range from an economy class flight with Flybe, to a First Class flight with BA, to a journey on a sleeper train. He is not self-obsessed, just makes a damned interesting trip report.

The video below is his journey on the Amtrak Empire Builder from Portland (Oregon) to Chicago. He calls it "three days crossing Big Sky Country" but watching it made me think more "3 days crossing Donald Trump country". It is only when you travel through these areas, and meet the people and understand how they live, that you begin to gain an understanding of what matters to these folk and why they voted Trump. There is nothing specific in the film that brings this out, but I have spent a fair bit of time in these areas of the USA and it shows not only the vastness of the country but also the complexity of the American character, of their allegiance to their way of life. Enjoy.

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Florian Hutter, this young German really is a whiz: Here a Samba Medley on the Wersi Atlantis:

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Another nostalgic early 90s tune I stumbled across on a recent youtube binge.This was a one hit wonder and became a hit after it was played on a Levis add at the time.The lead singer really did himself no favours sporting that hideous mullet though!!

8. Cyclonic

According to Wiki, on New Year's Day, the record company Decca, looking for a "beat" group, auditioned two bands,The Tremeloes and a group from Liverpool who called themselves The Beatles. The Tremeloes got the job. I wonder if the boss got himself a right old fashioned arse kicking? :)

9. Cyclonic

Can somebody please help me? I can't be sure, but there might have been some music playing in the back ground. I couldn't concentrate.

bayernkenny likes this.
  10. bayernkenny

Think I mentioned I am just back from 'Beatles-pool'. I had great fun advising the locals that The Kinks were far superior to the 'Mop-Tops'. Consternation and looks of disbelief aimed at yours truly!

11. Cyclonic

12. bayernkenny

Cyc; what did you think of the later Kinks stuff when they became a straight ahead rock band and still remained very popular in the USA? This, in my opinion, is fairly representative plus it sticks it right up the bitch from Grantham! Should I enter this in the 'Politics' thread?

<iframe width="764" height="573" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5v-gaVv1KBY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Cyclonic

I think their later work was much better than the popular stuff produced in the mid to late 60 Kenny. But music had changed a lot as the late 60s arrived and the "pop" type bands had to step up or die off. And The Kinks stepped up. But I sort of missed the boat. I liked The Kinks, but by the time they had evolved, I'd found Dylan, Cocker, Joplin, Leon Russell, Hendrix, The Band etc. It was all flower power, free love, weed, mushrooms and a wee bit of acid. ;)

bayernkenny likes this.
  14. bayernkenny

My big life changers were:

The first Led Zeppelin album.

Hearing 'Mountain Climbing' in Bruce's record store in Rose Street, Edinburgh.

Never Mind The Bollocks.

Darkness On The Edge Of Town - Springsteen.

My 'discovery' of the Drive-By-Truckers.

Cyclonic likes this.
  15. Cyclonic

In 1985 at the ripe old age of 81, Sir John Gielgud's brilliance shone brightly in the BBC production of Oedipus the King. As the blind prophet Tieresias, he's forced to relate the history of King Oedipus' past. Sir John certainly knew his business.
    ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Oedipus was born to King Laius and Queen Jocasta. Laius, wishing to thwart the prophecy that he'd be killed by his son, sent a shepherd-servant to kill Oedipus to in the countryside. However, the shepherd took pity on the baby and passed him to another shepherd who gave Oedipus to King Polybus and Queen Merope to raise as their own. Oedipus learned from the oracle of Delphi of the prophecy that he would end up killing his father and marrying his mother but, unaware of his true parentage, believed he was fated to murder Polybus and marry Merope, so left for Thebes. On his way he met an older man and quarrelled, and Oedipus killed the stranger. Continuing on to Thebes, he found that the king of the city (Laius) had been recently killed, and that the city was at the mercy of the Sphinx. Oedipus answered the monster's riddle correctly, defeating it and winning the throne of the dead king – and the hand in marriage of the king's widow, and (unbeknownst to him) his mother Jocasta.

16. Cyclonic

Hank the brilliant.

bayernkenny likes this.
  17. bayernkenny

One of my earliest 'single' purchases however my first buy was the Frank Ifield EP with 'I Remember You' the lead track!

Cyclonic likes this.
  18. Cyclonic

I didn't realise how popular Frank was in the early 60s Kenny. From what I've read, he had 4 number 1 singles in the UK charts in 1962-3. This was one of them.

19. bayernkenny

The sorta yodeling on some his tracks must have stayed with me and influenced my later love of Oberbayern and the Austrian Tyrol!:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

20. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Keith Flint of the Prodigy passed away... No more Firestarting for him now anymore...<rose><rose><rose>

A lot of my youth spent listening to these boys, and genuinely were the most talked about group at the time when Firestater came out and the album it came off The Fat Of The Land... Forever missed...