1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 606 Self-Isolation SIX TO FOLLOW flat competition

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Rules

The competition runs from 1st June to 17th October inclusive and is for Flat races in the UK and Ireland only.
    Select 6 horses and these are your stable until the end of the season, except for changes made during the Change Window. The horses you choose can be any age.
    Betting points are scored for Win only. Odds are to 1 point staked. Losers score -1 points. Declared SP only.
    Black type points are scored as follows: 2 points for a Group 1 winner and 1 point for a Group 1 2nd; 1 point for a Group 2 winner; 0.5 points for a Group 3 winner and 0.25 points for a Listed winner.

The Change Window is from 21st July to the 28th July. No changes can be made at any other times.
    In this window you must change/replace at least one horse and at most 3 horses. You can also name a reserve. This can be a totally new horse or one of the horses you have discarded in the Change.
    By midnight on the 28th July you must have at least one 2yo amongst your 6 horses or stable.

No points can be scored retrospectively.

If it can be proved (to me) that one of your horses is injured/dead and cannot run again during the time of the competition, then that horse can be replaced by that reserve. You are only allowed one reserve.

You can have more than 1 stable (entry) but a maximum of 2. The competition will not take place unless there are a minimum of 10 stables by 10th June. You are able to make an entry at any time as long as you meet other rules.

The winner will be the scorer of most points (total of betting and black-type points).

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Resurgam and Ron like this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good idea Bustino. Novel and easy to follow <cheers>

3. Bustino74

Thanks Ron
    I do not expect to see any entries before the 13th April as on that date you will have more information anyway, but also the declarations for the Newmarket Craven meeting and the Newbury Spring Meeting.

4. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Hope we actually get some Horse Racing to follow. I normally start on a Lucky 15 for the two Guineas the Derby and the Oaks at this stage of the season but wonder if it is worth bothering now? At this rate the Guineas may be run in October.

I like the format and the inclusion of a 2YO horse, so well done with that idea.

Bustino74 likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well, I won't be looking at any 2yo form from last year. I remember Mill Reef being beaten by My Swallow at 2. The rest is history

I'll certainly be leaving the 2yo pick until as late as possible

At present I just have three for my list
    The "obvious" 2yo from last year Pinatubo, Logician and if she stays in training, Enable

Couple of questions Bustino
    1. What happens if, after the window is closed, a horse gets injured and is out for the season?
    2. What happens if, during the window, a horse gets injured and is out for the season, having already substituted it for another and having already made 3 substitutions?

6. Bustino74

This competition has to go on the backburner for now. Once it is clearer when racing will start I will set out a new programme.

As regards Ron's questions.I have to say to 1 that that would be part of the competition and your horse unluckily would not score. In a way it's part of horseracing: certainly part of an owner's and trainer's lot.
    I have more sympathy for 2. I will allow, during the Change Window, in addition to the 1 to 3 'changed' horses. one reserve horse which can be subsequently used to replace one of the stable, but only given these circumstances: that undeniable evidence can be given that the horse you want to replace with the reserve is injured.

You are obviously going for the Black Type points. Must admit if I owned Enable, with it possible there may be no Arc this year, that I'd send her to stud to be covered. If she could be put in foal by the end of April you'd have a nice foal next March. If you can't get her in foal you could put her back in training.

Not sure the Mill Reef example is a good one. Sure Mill Reef was beaten a short head by My Swallow in the Prix Robert Papin, but there were extenuating circumstances that gave Mill Reef supporters a lot of hope. Mill Reef had an awful trip to France and as I'm sure you'd probably agree (long) travel often has a larger effect on a horse than the race itself. Also Mill Reef was having only his 3rd race, whereas My Swallow was having his 4th. Finally My Swallow was speed bred and Mill Reef had more stamina elements. I think the betting for the 2000G illustrates (Mill Reef 6/4 and My Swallow 2/1) that most judges felt Mill Reef would turn that form round, and he did by about a 1lb.
    Whereas a bare reading of the 2yo form put Brigadier Gerard in advance of Mill Reef (despite which My Swallow was rated 1lb ahead of Mill Reef and 2lb ahead of Brigadier Gerard in the Free Handicap). Receiving 7lb Mill Reef beat Fireside Chat 4 lengths. Brigadier Gerard beat Fireside Chat 5 and1/2 lengths at level weights. As I say bare form but at least evidence that BG was the better 2yo. Against My Swallow you had this fine 2yo colt beating Swing Easy 3 and 1/2 lengths (over 7f), the exact same distance BG beat him in the 6f Middle Park: so no reason to believe BG was inferior to My Swallow as a 2yo. In fact the admirable Swing Easy never ran again over 7f after his defeat by My Swallow and as a 3yo won the Kings Stand and Nunthorpe.
    I think a better example is Celtic Swing.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed, Mill Reef and My Swallow was a stupid example; No idea why I came up with that one <confused>

Celtic Swing, what a beautiful horse he was:

Plug; Champion afghan hound puppy unbeaten Kalahari Celtic Swing; And coincidentally never became a full champion as an adult :(

8. Bustino74

It looks as if something may be happening. If this proves to be true then I'll put together slightly amended rules. I'll post them as a new post and amend the first post in this thread so there's no confusion. As I mentioned in that post if there's not 10 or more contestants I'll not run it.

So get sorting out your 6.

9. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I'll be there. Assuming Ron is as well, we only need another 8 interested parties.

Lipizzaner is the best 2YO prospect I have seen so far from the very limited pool. I am sure he will reverse form with Poetic Flare from their debut. I would have been surprised if he were not a Royal Ascot 2YO in a normal season. I saw a few trainers on ATR nominating some of their youngsters for the season but you really need to see them run first. I remember Charlie Hills naming one of his unraced youngsters and then checking himself as if he wasn't supposed to let the information out but the 2YO was complete cack when he did appear.

10. Bustino74

Have decided to take a chance that we'll start on June 1st. So here are the rules. Please post your entries when it suits you. But as I say if there are not 10 entries by 10th June I'll scrap the competition.

Rules

The competition runs from 1st June to 17th October inclusive and is for Flat races in the UK and Ireland only.

Select 6 horses and these are your stable until the end of the season, except for changes made during the Change Window. The horses you choose can be any age.

Betting points are scored for Win only. Odds are to 1 point staked. Losers score -1 points. Declared SP only.

Black type points are scored as follows: 2 points for a Group 1 winner and 1 point for a Group 1 2nd; 1 point for a Group 2 winner; 0.5 points for a Group 3 winner and 0.25 points for a Listed winner.

The Change Window is from 21st July to the 28th July. No changes can be made at any other times.

In this window you must change/replace at least one horse and at most 3 horses. You can also name a reserve. This can be a totally new horse or one of the horses you have discarded in the Change.

By midnight on the 28th July you must have at least one 2yo amongst your 6 horses or stable.

No points can be scored retrospectively.

If it can be proved (to me) that one of your horses is injured/dead and cannot run again during the time of the competition, then that horse can be replaced by that reserve. You are only allowed one reserve.

You can have more than 1 stable (entry) but a maximum of 2. The competition will not take place unless there are a minimum of 10 stables by 10th June. You are able to make an entry at any time as long as you meet other rules.

The winner will be the scorer of most points (total of betting and black-type points).

Grendel likes this.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm in

Grendel likes this.
  12. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Six horses by 10th June?

I will give it a go.

Grendel likes this.
  13. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m up for that bustino! Will get them in this week <ok>

Grendel likes this.
  14. Bustino74

Having gained some confidence that racing would start on June 1st, I'm beginning to lose it again. If we are to start by the 1st then we need to be told definitely by the 25th, I'd say.
    However I'll put up my first stable which I'll call Bustino OB

Here are the 6

Award Scheme
    Formality
    Punctuation
    Punting
    Bullfinch
    Tactical *2yo)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator