1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2nd test

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by jeffranger, Jul 15, 2015.

1. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Well tomorrow is the next test & if England play the same way being agressive in there batting & bowling & can see another thrilling game & hope to put the aussie's on the back foot again.

2. Quality Passing Rules

Quality Passing Rules Well-Known Member

Not sure what to expect, still getting over the surprise of the last one. Would never have call that result in a million years. Weather looks good for all 5 days so there's most likely to be a result of some kind.

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It always used to swing around at Lords - not sure it does now. It's likely to be another wicket that favours the batters. Whoever bats first is in pole position provided they negotiate the new ball. I don't think the Aussies are all they're cracked up to be. England have the best batsman (Root) and bowler (Anderson). If those two perform, it could be 2-0. Let's hope so.

4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Haddin has bottled it due to so called 'family reasons' and 'Leg Before Watson' has been dropped. Let's hope that their replacements ( Peter Nevill and Mitchell Marsh) don't spark an Aussies revival.

The Lords pitch is usually quite good and I reckon that the batsmen will fair better than the bowlers here and predict a draw. Australian talisman Mitchell Johnson may be the difference here. He has struggled at Lords and last time out he conceded over two hundred runs for three wickets in 38.4 overs in 2009.

This test will mark the 125th anniversary of the Lords Pavilion designed by Thomas Verity and opened in 1890.

• please log in to view this image

The Long Room

please log in to view this image

5. ozzieranger

ozzieranger Active Member

Watson had to go and Marsh has been knocking on the door for some time- hopefully Marsh goes to 3 and we can move Smith back to 4 where he should be.
    However QPR999's your comment on Haddin is out of order - he has a very very sick daughter with a rare form of cancer and it is assumed his head is not in the right place to play test cricket at his best, very understandable.
    Let's hope we get a good contest and a great series.

6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear that mate. The only reason that I've heard or reported about Haddin is that he's pulled out. The details were unknown. If that's the case and I've no reason to doubt it then I wish him and his daughter all the best. It goes without saying that some things in life make sporting issues pale into insignificance.

7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

For me this is the biggest test of the series. Handin out is a massive loss for them potentially and the team is in a bit of disarray it seems. To go 2-0 up would surely kill them psychologically.

Lords is their favourite though and a draw to keep some daylight would be a decent enough result. Can't see it happening unless there's a monsoon. Neither team seems good enough at holding their wickets.

8. ozzieranger

No worries 9's we all make comments without full facts. I'm sure we all wish the best for his daughter and family going thru this.

QPR999 likes this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

Condolences to Haddin. Obviously we don't know the full details but seems an odd decision by Lehmann and the selectors to bring him in. His head can't be right.

A little like Ferdinand's situation at one time but in some ways even worse being a child.

10. ozzieranger

Hey Watford, Haddin has been dealing with this for quite some time and I am sure there are continuing ups and downs and more serious times with an ongoing situation like this. He has previously missed matches in Australia due to the issue. i am sure he has ups and downs with his emotions and news that may be relayed to him. I think he is clearly our best keeper but is given plenty of leeway as, I think, most people would expect and understand.
    Gotta feel for anyone going thru this type of thing and trying to stay "normal". Agreed, it would be hard in any situation but even harder when it's your child.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Aye fair play and each to their own. I won't pretend to know more than the bare minimum on the subject. I commend him as a senior player who is still good enough for wanting to do his bit as such a key man. Don't think I could be on the other side of the world from a child with aggressive cancer.

How big a loss is it from a purely cricketing perspective? Neville is obviously inexperienced but doesn't seem a total dud at all.

I'd love Starc to play as I think he would either get limited overs and not be at his best or he'll be too ****ed for the next tests. Can't see him playing even four entire test matches given the injuries he has. Siddle is a great back-up and should really play.

Looks like Watson will be dropped too and deservedly so.

12. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Neville is vey highly rated both as a keeper and batsman, and Marsh for Watson will strengthen their batting, I expect the Aussies to be right up for this one, their Lords record is very good...

13. Bwood_Ranger

Can't for the life of me decide which way to bet in this so probably won't.

14. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Ahh'mmmmmmmm ........... Let's hope they do!
    I'm thinking the first test loss will not be sitting too well with our Aussies and trust they'll put some backbone behind a result here.
    The replacement of Watson must count as a positive and Haddin's replacement with a young new gun might also be a timely switch.

15. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I can't see Australia improving enough to prevent England going 2-0 up.

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Aussies have a fantastic record at Lord's. I think this series is much more finely balanced than the first test indicated, only takes a couple of good knocks from a couple of Aussie batsmen for us to be under pressure.

Didley Squat likes this.
  17. Stroller

They've lost the last two at Lord's and are a very different side away from home generally - they are just not as intimidating away from Australian conditions.

18. Stroller

An important toss for Clarke to win. Let's see how they bat.

19. ozzieranger

I think one of the important things for us this test is to get in a position of strength and see if Cook can continue to be positive. It's a tougher job to be aggressive when you are not well in front.. I don't think it's a natural way for him to play and we need to put that pressure on him.

Didley Squat likes this.
  20. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Seems like a good toss to win, could be a struggle on that pitch for bowlers, need a couple quick wickets after lunch to peg them back.