1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With Pukki firing blanks and getting zero service, Drmic just a waste of space, why not start Idah for our remaining few games. Nothing to lose, any experience he gains at this level will surely stand him in good stead for division 2 next season
    and he can't possibly be worse than what we're watching (being forced to endure) at the moment.

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/adam-idah-norwich-premier-league/

zogean_king and Bure budgie like this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Some good points, but I doubt SW intends to rip apart the squad and start again. That's no way to achieve long-term development. Some will leave and be replaced, certainly, but these players were chosen as well suited to Farkeball and so they proved to be winning the Championship. What we need is for the new players to be a step up in quality, consistency and fight for the battle ahead. As Andy says, we have a start through Sinani, McCallum, Sitti and Mumba and those recruited in previous years like Guilmour, Bushiri, Adheads, Mair and Fitzpatrick, though Some of those will go out on loan again.

We can't afford to simply hope that Pukki and Drmic will find new form, so we need another striker rather than simply hoping Idah is ready to step up. Hopefully Sinani will be the wide player we need, but if Buendia and/or Cantwell leave we'll need quality replacements and the same is true for CM, DM, defence and in goal. We have an opportunity to improve the squad and we must use it.

zogean_king and carrowcanario like this.
  4. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Yes, particularly the cautionary comment directed at anyone who thinks this season has been a free shot at the EPL and next season is just a matter of taking up where we prematurely left off in the Championship. As regards the final bit about DF coming up with the needed fresh ideas, I'm struggling to see quite what Andy's confidence is based on.

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

7. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Interesting listen, wouldn't have picked Isak Thorvaldsson out as our most promising academy prospect, and reusing the "Canary Bond" scheme to redevelop the Geoffrey Watling stand is an intriguing thought.

8. robbieBB

DF "rigid" and only prepared to adjust his approach when playing the "elite"? Surely not.

9. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

maybe he should be taught how to use substitutes rather than at 85 mins or later haha

10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Money to be made here! <laugh>

11. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I honestly had hope that covid would come to Norwich's rescue by allowing them to work in a home gym to be super fit and then do virtual coaching sessions on set pieces and other frailties, ready for a restart. However when we came back it became clear that the players were way off the pace and we never looked capable of doing anything, such a disappointment.

Oh well, next year it is, hope springs eternal!

At least try out some youngsters or other formations and the like the final few games, it can't get worse!

SuffolkCanary and oldcanariesfan like this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I think we all assumed this would be the case. But to lose eight (8) on the bounce, with heads, stamina, desire and confidence dropping visibly in each of those games (bar one half in the cup vs ManUre) leaves many question marks hanging over Farke's methods.
    Southampton, in particular, highlighted these failings and they are one of the 20 teams we should at least be able to compete with. But they ran rings round us, literally, and gave us a deserved whooping. All is not well in camp Canary.

DHCanary and oldcanariesfan like this.
  13. robbieBB

The battle for 17th place is getting interesting following Palace's pathetic showing at Villa Park today. If Villa manage to beat Everton on Thursday at Goodison, they will be just one point behind West Ham and Watford, who play each other on Friday. In the penultimate round of games, Watford host Man City, Villa host Arsenal, and West Ham are away at Man Utd. On the last day, Watford visit the Emirates while West Ham and Villa face off at the London Stadium. Unlike us, Villa are showing some spirit and have given themselves a real chance.

14. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

You say that, but at the restart, Villa were two points off safety with a game in hand.

They are now four points from safety.

They might yet make it, but I am not sure a Villa fan would be so confident about the “spirit” their team has shown since the restart (and I say that as someone who has just spoken to their brother-in-law who is a Villa fan...)

15. robbieBB

Rob,
    They've played 7 league games since the restart, five of which have been against teams in the current top seven. The other two were mid-table (Newcastle and Palace), from which they have taken 4 points. They drew with Sheffield Utd, and played very well at Anfield, keeping the Champions-elect at bay for 71 minutes. We, in contrast, in our 6 league games, have played 4 fellow relegation-threatened teams and none of the teams in the current top seven, contriving nevertheless to lose every game and never really looking like doing anything else. Villa may be falling short of their "entitled" fans's expectations, and may still end up relegated, but at least they are putting up some sort of fight, which is more than we can claim to have done.

16. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think you’ve missed my point Robbie.

I am simply saying that Villa fans have been complaining about their team’s lack of spirit too.

17. robbieBB

Well, I was responding to your comment that they are now two points worse off than when the season resumed, having also played their game in hand. Sounds poor, but looks less so when you take who they've had to play into account. As for their fans, I expect they blame us for giving them Paul Lambert ....... :emoticon-0106-cryin

18. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

At the end of the season everyone will have played everyone else the same number of times.

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Looks like Webber is spending today picking through the wreckage of the season with various local news outlets. Pinkun interview this afternoon, Radio Norfolk tonight.

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator