1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a coincidence though Rick that the two instances you cite were in the games against Man City and Liverpool, both of whom like to concentrate play in the opposition half and hold a high back line. That's not how most teams play, the majority being far more circumspect and generally intent on not leaving space behind.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

There are still times when an there's an oportunity to break quickly, like after an opposing free kick or corner when their defenders have been brought forward. The advantage is that we can keep our shape in defence and midfield when attacking, so if the ball is lost we're not caught out at the back. I just think we need more variety than we're using at the moment, and the measly 2 goals that has produced in the last seven games in which we conceded 14 goals.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. RiverEndRick

4. robbieBB

The idea that, had we not suffered the succession of injuries we have, we might now be outperforming Sheffield United in the EPL, is nonsense. The evidence as to how the two teams were likely to perform in the top tier was clear to see throughout last season for anyone sufficiently unblinded by what they saw of Norwich on the pitch to pay attention to the stats. The stats told a consistent story for both teams: Norwich's success was founded on Teemu Pukki keeping the GF well in excess of xG and making up for a relatively poor defence, ranked only 8 in the defensive table and conceding 1.24 goals per game; the Blades, in contrast, headed the defensive table, and while scoring 15 fewer goals nevertheless outperformed Norwich in terms of GD (by one, +37 to +36). Given that the quality of both defending and attacking is higher in the EPL than in the Championship, the writing was clearly on the wall. And while Sheffield spent money, they did so to strengthen where it was most needed -- their attack, bringing in McBirnie, Mousset and Robinson.
    We have addressed our defensive weakness only to a very limited extent, bringing in Byram and Amadou. But unless tactical adjustments are forthcoming to shore up the defence, I don't see the picture changing significantly even with the return of Zimmermann. He, after all, was at the heart of our defensive performance last season.

5. RiverEndRick

The Blades have had few injuries and so have been able to keep a consistent line-up, which is a huge advantage, but that is not the only reason we have struggled. If you concede first, the opposing team has the advantage from that point. When we scored first against Newcastle and ManCity, we went on to win. At Bournemouth not conceding kept us in the match to achieve a draw. In all of our other matches we have conceded first and lost. Sheffield United have done just the opposite and thus have done so much better. This is where the tweaking has to take place if we are to stand any chance of survival. If we go on playing the way we have been, the return of Hanley and Zimmerman will make little difference.

robbieBB and JM Fan like this.
  6. robbieBB

Yes indeed. We don't lose BECAUSE we concede first; our conceding first is the surest sign of our heading for defeat -- unlike last season when we quite often conceded first and still ended up with a win or draw. That was the Championship; this is the EPL (more effective defences, more potent attacks). Unless we address our tactical weaknesses, things won't get any better even with Zimmermann back; I remember saying much the same when Alex Neil was in charge! Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

oldcanariesfan and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

To be fair whilst I agree that we could not expect to be exceding SU's exceptional performance thus far (You could not have forseen this, even Wilder couldn't have imagined being 5th!) I think it is speculative to suggest that based on last seasons stats we could not be performing as well as SU. The goal difference difference of 1 suggests that both teams struck a good balance between attack and defence that lead to success. Our formula however yielded more points and the title. Your stats can say a million and one things, but, that title tells me we were the best team in the league.
    Where I definitely agree with you is that SU better identified their weaknesses and addressed them, were as we on face value perhaps have not (Once we see Godfrey, Zimmermann and Amadou in the side for a few weeks, maybe we'll see if we did, but have been unlucky).
    But even with their recruitment it offered no guarantee of goals which had looked like a possible problem for them. For all our expectation that we would conceed too many, there was no obvious evidence that they could score enough even having signed new but unproven at PL attacking options, defenses up there get better and sides that have often struggled in the PL have been those who could not score goals.
    The key of course is to exceed not SU performance but any 3 clubs. I still believe that with 2 or even 3 fit CB's and with at least 1 of our proper DM's available and playing we can find points again, even without massive tactical surgery. I think improving the cover for when the FB's bomb forward is key. If SU can fill the gaps left as a CB marauds up the pitch we can and should be able to continue to use our FB's as key members of the attack. Proper defenders and defensive midfielders hopefully will better enable this.
    Who ever comes back, regaining confidence is tough but key. Our slick passing game plan needs it and we don't have the players to do things any other way.

Bah!

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  8. robbieBB

Yes we were the best Championship team last year General; that's what the title says. But unfortunately, winning the Championship does not tell us that we were the Championship team best equipped to survive in the EPL, or even that we ranked high among those reasonably well equipped to survive. The EPL is not the Championship, and the evidence for how a team is likely to perform at the higher level is found in the stats, not the Championship table.

9. RiverEndRick

We'll only really know by the end of the season. SU could be displaying a promotion bounce for the first half of the season which can then fade badly after Christmas. We did that under Lambert and still managed to survive. I had hoped we'd have some of that, but it hasn't materialised, partly due to injuries.

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Blackpool had a similar experience a few years ago and didn't quite manage to hang on <ok>

11. robbieBB

Unknown.jpeg
    Seems to be rather a lot of clutching going on here ........ <laugh> I'm an optimist by nature too, but in this case my optimism is based on a firm belief that relegation this season is accommodated within the longer term plan!

Nigel Stephens and RiverEndRick like this.
  12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Only if we go down! <whistle>

13. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Now that I do agree with, in fact I think Webber was expecting it. Hoping differently but, the reality was the lads were always likely to need s higher calibre of help to actually improve the first XI and compete.

Bah!

robbieBB likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Look at the spend (or otherwise!) on transfers. Positive intent would have been to push the boat out more than a bargain basement Byram and a few loans. Basically a 'take the money and run' season, then further bolstered by idiotic parachute payments...for a layout of circa £750k!!

Nigel Stephens likes this.
  15. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Our investment in the summer was based on the future not the now - we invested for relegation, bounce back and go again.

carrowcanario likes this.
  16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

18. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

One thing to note is that in all of our games this season, the team who has scored first has gone on to win.
    The point made above on the thread about making a quick start to the season is interesting, we had it under PL and then faded quite badly, surviving by a slender margin. It is almost impossible to keep up the high level for the whole season and there is always at least one team that finishes strongly and another who fade dramatically. Provided we keep roughly 1 point per game we will always be in with a shout. If that is maintained through to the end of February, then it will be a solid effort and safety would be a distinct possibility. That would be an amazing achievement overcoming the budget inequality and the injuries that we have endured to date.
    Luck will also equal out over a season to a degree and I think we have some to come to balance out our experiences to date.

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator