1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    canary-dave likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well, the STAMPEDE for Citeh tickets is about to begin!!! <yikes>
    You're in LUCK Dunc!!!! <eek>

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  4. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

On Sky news Merson in says that Pukkis' movement is "different class" and he will score 20 - 25 goals this season, and we will NOT be relegated. A pundit who has watched and understood what we are about. Amazing.
    l

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Especially Merson, he's normally as bad as Lawro <ok>

6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Whilst I feel a little confident of survival I'm not sure it is fair to label pundits who think we might survive as well informed insightful or have understood. I'm sure Mr Merson is basing his assertion on at best two games or at worst literally only the goals or highlights. OK so I haven't seen said interview but where was he with these assertions before we started this season? I bet he at most watched a quick youtube of his goals.

Bah!

7. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

This punditry lark is pretty easy really. Lawrenson is a tool, that is basically a fact, but his prediction about Pukki and Norwich was before the season started. Merson's comments were after the Newcastle game, so he is talking having seen us play, hindsight etc.
    Overall I think the Sky team on a Saturday are pretty good. Tiss and Charlie Nicholas are level headed and fair, Thommo is a bit too pro-Liverpool and Merson is alright in general, it is Jeff Stelling that holds the show together and adds a bit of humour, it works well. It is certainly better than the dullards on MOTD who are stating the obvious with hardly any insight at all
    Shearer "well there's the ball is in the back of the net and for me, that's a goal" - brilliant, what a clown!

8. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

A pretty fair assessment, but Lawrenson should have waited until he had a bit more information to go on before launching his condemnation of Pukki. On the surface of it a free transfer striker, albeit one who had been top scorer at the lower level might not be expected to make the grade. Let's see how Abraham, Sharp and Maupay do at this level. As you observe Merson has some form to go on and wisely held his counsel until he did have. It's possible of course that Pukki may still end by scraping double figures but something has to go drastically wrong for that to be the case and his skill on Saturday means you would probable get better odds on Him not making double figures than you would on the Golden Boot.

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Yaaaaaaaassssss <party>

Thanks buddy <wizard>

<cheers>

JM Fan likes this.
  10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In praise of Teemu. And Todd. And Farkeball. And NCFC <party>

https://www.canofootball.com/articl...ys-with-the-new-ideas-a-statistical-analysis/

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

ncgandy likes this.
  12. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

In well-justified praise also of Stiepi: "In Stiepermann, Norwich have the perfect man to run this system through, the German is fantastic at understanding when to recycle possession and build patiently, or to play quick, vertical passes through lines of the opposition."

As I said on the Newcastle thread, Marco is the node through which a large proportion of our penetrative attacking play passes.

Canary Rob likes this.
  13. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

A fascinating read. I don't pretend to understand tactics to any great level but as I'm a bit of a stats fan the Xg expected goals bit really brings it home. That 1.09 translates into four goals could I suppose just be fortuitous, ( although I don't think so) but is much more likely the hallmark of player hitting top form just as many other factors come into line. Long may it continue .

Puncturedtractortyre likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just WOW -

tpb.jpg

I know it's early days, but to think that #oneofourown tops the PL rankings chart is total dreamland!!!
    He's quite a few points above Sterling (and both are well clear of the chasing pack!!!) and how many £Ms did Sterling cost?? <ok>

TC is also in the top 50!!!! <yikes>

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    ncgandy and GozoCanary like this.
  16. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

In fairness though that’s his role in the team, that doesn’t mean that someone else couldn’t do a better job. Just my opinion but I would prefer Vrancic in that position.

I still support Stieps and hope he does well every game but if it were up to me Vrancic would start when fit.

17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's an excellent analysis and really brings home what Farkeball is about. It's easy to focus on Pukki's goals, but it's the movement of all 4 attacking players that makes those possible. As Teemu said, "it's easy to score goals for Norwich". The service he receives is amazing and perfectly suits his strengths as a striker. His own movement within that is also a key factor, as this illustrated analysis reveals:

https://www.footballwhispers.com/bl...her?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=news-now

It also highlights how Cantwell has finally bridged the difficult gap to become a key player and first choice starter. That happened even before Onel's injury and prevented that from becoming a major body blow to our chances. Todd has improved hugely and looks every inch a natural in PL football.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He has been transformed in the close season and his ball control and vision is excellent.

Also saw this - https://www.footballwhispers.com/bl...her?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=news-now

19. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Was never impressed with Todd last season.
    BUT the 2 games this season he has been outstanding.

Probably due to the ponytail sapping his strength

20. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Yes, it is his role in the team; but the analysis doesn't just say that's his role, it says he is perfect for the role and offers two observations by way of pinpointing what makes him "perfect". What do you see Vrancic bringing to the role, Suffolk, that makes him more perfect than Marco?