1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2019/20 Season Rumour Mill

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, May 1, 2019.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

100% Agree <ok>

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about this, personally I have never seen in him what people rave about and think he has traded on his Dads name so I'm not that fussed if he leaves, but on the other hand it's a continuation of this hopeless damaging policy which has seen us made a laughing stock. Thanks Evans.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If he does end up moving to NR1 that tells you all you need to know about his heart.

It may turn out that big bucks and the bright lights of the Premier League are a motivator. Football on its own certainly isn't.

Decent on the ball but not really a box to box midfielder, not a CDM and not a CAM. I've never really understood what his role is supposed to be. Maybe that's the problem he's always had at Town.

if we get upwards of £1m for him do the deal and don't even think about it.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Knudsen all over again.

Lambert has publicly come out to say Judge wants the QPR move.

If it doesn’t happen now we have a dud squad member for the season. If he goes for under half a million we’ve been mugged.

Either way this is shocking leadership.

5. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

And all optimism slides away for the start of the season...this is a joke

fieldmarshall and Bigalreigned like this.
  6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Latest news is that we've put a 5m price tag on Dozzell. Norwich probably won't go for it. It's a decent price for us and a pittance for a prem team to pay really.

7. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Is he worth anything like that kind of fee in your opinion?

While obviously I don't watch him play week in, week out, I am lead to believe neither to Town fans and he has not been a regular in the first team - is that true?

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I imagine we've quoted you £5m because he's a) a talented young player with potential and b) you're in the Premier League, so therefore can conceivably afford it. Honestly, I don't think he's worth that much, based on what little he has achieved here. I was prepared to accept around £2m with a load of add ons. Dozzell hasn't had much first team football at all over the past few years - I think he's played about 29 games in total - and that's typically down to injury problems (such as missing entirety of 2017/18 season after being injured in the first match of that season).

In my opinion, Dozzell is a technically accomplished player on the ball, with an expansive range of passing and is one of the few players in our team that is genuinely creative and possesses good vision. Off the ball is a different manner - not strong enough, has a record of fitness issues, and looked like he struggled to motivate himself for games last season.

Primarily, he needs to stay fit and play in a system that will actually complement his style of play - rather than whatever style of football we've been attempting for the past three / four seasons.

ThaiCanary and fieldmarshall like this.
  9. fieldmarshall

That's spot on Nuggets, personally I don't see the all round quality that others seem to.

10. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Thanks Nuggets, that it pretty comprehensive. I did suspect that some injuries were playing a part in the lack or performances rather than the lack of ability to get in to the first XI

11. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like the same attributes as we already possess, with Moritz Leitner and Mario Vrancic.
    I'd rather we spent that sort of money on upgrading our DM options,
    as Alex Tettey is not getting any younger.
    Nearly all the bookies have you as second faves to go up, behind Sunderland.
    Strange how they are so optimistic, yet the mood on this thread is anything but! <yikes>

12. Nuggets

We are generally a pretty pessimistic bunch on here, but after several years of stagnation and gradual decline, combined with one of the most unambitious owners in domestic football, well ... who can blame us?

Punters probably assume that we’ll go straight back up just because we’re a relatively big name club at this level. Relegated sides from the Championship from the season before typically get favoured by your average Joe, and I’m sure there are instant promotion stats that often backs that up - to an extent. But people forget that we finished bottom and well adrift in what was a pretty average Championship season last year. We were truly awful with little redeeming qualities. Two of the better, more consistent, players last season (Pennington and Chalobah) were loanees.

Yes, the Norwood signing looks good. And yes, people will say Lambert has been there and done that before at this level (albeit a decade ago and with a stronger backroom staff). Your average punter probably doesn’t spend a lot of time researching each club. If they did, they’d recognise the sorry state of our defence, our terrible record with injuries, and how - stand out players like Waghorn and Celina aside - we’ve collectively struggled to create consistent chances over the last two seasons.

We are effectively banking on League One being easier than anticipated. We are hoping that players who looked out of their depth a level above will be consistently effective the next rung down. And hopefully the opposition will collapse. Bolton’s points deduction and off-field state of the affairs benefits us massively, as cruel as it sounds. Over the last several seasons, Peterborough splashes out in the transfer market and fails to live up to expectations - hopefully that continues. We need Sunderland to bottle it again this year.

I think we can make the top six, and that has to be the target for this team - as I dread to think what will happen if we get stuck down here for another season - but I’m not overly confident we can achieve that. We haven’t spent a penny in transfer fees this summer. We released over 20 players, including loanees, this summer (which is fine, because most of them were mediocre players) but we’ve only bought in three or four players. Not good enough.

13. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Comprehensive and accurate assessment of our woeful position as usual,Nuggets.

14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Being a budgie, I haven't taken too much notice of your recent plight, but as you
    say Nuggets has spelled it out in no uncertain terms in that last comment.
    Lambert surely would have known what a 'skinflint' Evans was before accepting
    the job, so no real point him starting to bleat and plead poverty.
    If it makes you feel any better (it won't), NCFC have spent boogie all - apart from
    offering nearly all of last season's squad improved contracts - which is natural considering what happened.
    A loanee from Manchester City, a loanee GK from Schalke 04 and a freebie back up striker.
    Plus Sam Byram for a (frankly ludicrous) £750k from Wet Sham <ok>
    And he'll struggle to get a game if Max Aarons stays fit!
    Not too clever of Judge to start wittering about joining QPR so soon before battle commences - there's
    only one way morale can go with talk like that circulating. <yikes>

Bigalreigned likes this.
  15. Bigalreigned

TopBunk likes this.
  16. Nuggets

I think Lambert has always been on record saying he wouldn't mind one or two loanees in the squad? However, it is looking like we could have the usual four or five loanees in to shore up the squad, which just isn't sustainable or ideal.

Having said that, the underlying issue with our reliance on loanees is not the manager, but the owner. Mick, Hurst, and now Lambert have been starved of funds in the transfer windows, and have had to offset a lack of investment by relying on the loan market to plug squad gaps and provide some element of star quality (particularly under Mick).

Despite generally being against loans, I'd rather have three or four loanees in the squad, plugging gaps, then just leaving the gaps alone and hoping a bunch of academy lads can make the step up. Unfortunately, the past few seasons have demonstrated that we place too much faith and reliance on the academy lads to make the step up and perform consistently well. Until more money is made available in the transfer market, we're going to continue seeing a fairly high number of loanees brought in. For Christ sake, we haven't even spent a penny on a transfer fee this summer.

17. fieldmarshall

If there's no money available for transfers as usual then its loans or nothing, piss off Evans.

18. Bigalreigned

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Bart done deal to Millwall on loan... so no transfer fee at all. Bonkers.