1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2019/20 Season Rumour Mill

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, May 1, 2019.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

He’s just linking up again with his gaffer, no reflection on us.

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

He wanted paying Bucky so that ended our interest.

Buckyohare likes this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Luke Garbutt from Everton is apparently nearing the completion of his loan move today. While he primarily plays left-back, he's often been touted as a better left wing back / left midfielder. The reaction from Oxford fans suggest he was so poor defensively for them last season, they had to play him further up the pitch to get better performances out of him. Played a lot of games, but frequently got subbed off (sometimes at half time), which points to an appearance clause in his loan deal, so they had to play him for a set number of games. In fairness to him, a few goals and assists - mostly when playing in his advanced role and through a pretty good set piece delivery - suggests he's defensively poor, but better playing further up the pitch. Does that remind us of another left back currently in the squad?

Mixed first impressions on this from me. While we clearly need competition at left back, and arguably somebody better than Kenlock if we want automatic promotion, I'm not overly impressed we're bringing in a defensively suspect player on loan. Willing to give the lad a chance, but I suspect this might be the first real mis-step in our transfer business this summer.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

New season, same old ****e.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Great, a defender who can’t defend!

6. Nuggets

And now we are linked to James Wilson, a defender released by Lincoln in the summer because he wasn't good enough for when they were in League Two. This really smacks of desperation. Are we going to be in the market solely for cast offs this summer? Has Evans learned anything over the past few years? Adam Thompson, who terminated his contract at Bury this summer, was playing League Two football last season as well, and he's been linked with a possible free transfer. Is this really the sum of our aspirations this summer? Does Evans and Lambert truly have that much faith in a side that finished rock bottom in a poor Championship division? If they truly think the defence can be saved by a couple of League Two plodders on free transfers - then they'll be in for quite the surprise!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Seems to me that (for a while) Evans is spending as little as possible whilst desperately trying to find a buyer.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  8. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Looks like the Judge saga is hotting up...and if the newspaper gossip is true in that he wants out, then it looks like he's on his way - just depends how much we can get for him, and who, if anyone, will come in to replace him

9. Nuggets

My gut instinct is that he will be sold, probably for around £600k. While I don't believe our promotion hopes rests solely on the assumption that Judge will be too good for League One - I do think his potential departure will be a big blow to the quality of the team. And as you say Stretchy, do we honestly have faith that the money will be reinvested back into the playing squad?

It seems we are quite content to spend another summer doing things on the cheap and limiting ourselves to loanees and the free transfer market. I know we've got to cut our cloth according to our relegation, which was a costly drop in revenue, but I do hope for a bit of investment and ambition this transfer window, particularly with a sizable portion of the squad being cut this window, a decent haul being brought in by sell-on fees, and the fact that League One status isn't stopping teams like Rotherham, Peterborough, and Porsmouth from bringing in quality additions.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What I would say is that I'm not really bothered about Judge but cumulatively weakening the squad one player at a time is the reason the club has gone to ****. It sounds likely and it's really just a continuation of that.

Instead of looking at the lucrative potential for English teams in the top flight and growing potential in markets like the Far East, Evans seems hellbent on running the club into the ground a slow and painful death rather than investing to fulfil that potential.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Meanwhile, Andre Dozzell who is to all intents and purposes completely useless to us with the current midfield options is being offered IMPROVED terms. Baffling.

12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

If Judge goes & no one is brought in as a replacement (other than freebies and loans), I believe that PL rightly or wrongly will lose a lot of the goodwill that he built with the fans. The EFL transfer window closes quite early so will wait & see if he’s sold and the replacement if any that arrive. Can’t say I am too hopeful as midfield is 1 area, we do have a number of options

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Town apparently in for McCormack.

Maybe he's had his day, maybe he can get going again, but we definitely need more attacking options so this is one I would welcome.

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not sure that it would be Paul that we would turn on, Evans should cop the full force of the backlash if Judge is sold.

Some people are very suspicious of this whole thing. The cynical way to look at it is that Judge signed a two year deal to boost season ticket sales and possibly got told that we would let him go back to the Championship if a decent offer came in, bringing in even more cash for Evans' dusty wallet.

At this moment in time we have done nothing different than the last few windows. Squad quality is still gradually being diluted and money made from sales and add-ons is disappearing into the aforementioned dusty wallet. We will try for a couple more weeks to get some Bosman players in or faff about not wanting to spend 100K extra to secure a deal and then end up with a couple more loans instead.

I still very much want Evans to **** off.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  16. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I think if we sell a Judge & then lose 1st couple of home games, the atmosphere could turn toxic very quickly. Obviously, if we start the season well, fans will be happy. Interesting times ahead

17. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Dozzel going to Norwich by all accounts!

18. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

After over a decade of incompetence we find ourselves in the shameful situation of 3rd tier football, thousands of us saw it coming but still our useless owner continues in the same old way even though its obvious to a fool where the policy of sell and replace with poorer players leads, if replaced at all.
    If ever there was a football Club owner less suited to run a Club Evans is it, and although I'm going to Burton I am struggling to be optimistic, make no mistake if we have a bad start season tickets will be cancelled in their thousands. Surely we should be strengthening to get out of this division not weakening so we struggle to stay there? Evans out.

19. Nuggets

I know it goes against the grain on here a bit, but I think Dozzell is a technically talented player with a good eye for a pass. However, he does appear to have an attitude problem and our general style of play, which is usually quite pragmatic, doesn't bring the best out of his skills. I'm surprised he's been linked to a Premier League club (and especially Norwich, which is quite galling), because I thought Dozzell's next natural move would be a club like Brentford in the Championship. He wasn't good last season, and seemed to struggle to motivate himself when he did play, but then let's be honest, many players disappointed last season.

If he goes, I hope it's for a decent fee because with the right system, I think he'll be a very effective Championship-level player. This move is just doubly painful because a) it's another attacking midfielder being linked away and b) it's Norwich.

20. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Dozzell, unfortunately is a luxury player. Plods about the pitch, doesn't influence games enough, moreso on a consistent level, and has a poor attitude. I also find him quite arrogant, feels he can do better than Ipswich. He needs a huge kick up the backside and bringing down to reality. Has a couple of very good games, then will have 5 or 6 ineffective ones. The longer he stays with us, the less interested he'll be, and the more he'll sulk again.
    I wouldn't be too fussed if he left..yes, he has talent, and is "one of our own", but i don't think his heart is in it, especially at Ipswich.