1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Details - Tickets cost just £5 and include entry, a Pukka Pie (vegetarian option available) and a pint (East Coast IPA or Budweiser). Soft drinks will also be available.
    The tickets will be available to purchase from 9am on Thursday August 16 online at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by calling 01603 721902 (option one), or from the Carrow Road ticket office and the Chapelfield store.
    The Beam Back will be in the Canary Lounge and I'll probably try to get a ticket.

2. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

What is the limit on the tickets?

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's first come first served, but I'd like to think that you must either have ST/membership, but knowing NCFC .......

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I say several fans wearing the new 3rd top on Tuesday and I MIGHT have to treat myself for Xmas. <yikes>

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

These stats from David Freezer's latest article reveal how frustrating our first two league matches have been:

"Top of the average possession stats after two games? Norwich, of course, with 61 percent, ahead of Brentford (59.4pc).

Which team has unleashed the most shots in the division so far? You guessed it, City, with a huge average of 18.5 per game, clear of Nottingham Forest on 15.7.

Shots are all well and good but they need to be on target. Well, the Canaries also top that table so far, averaging 8.5 shots on target.

It’s only two games into a long season but those stats show the fine margins which separate Farke’s team from being the talk of the Championship."

DF just might now have the players to make possession football exciting as well. If we can cut out the defensive errors without sacrificing these attacking abilities we could be on to something special.

6. RiverEndRick

So after last night's win, what are our chances for a run in the league? Well, last night showed that we have some strength in depth in the squad and a good deal of potential in the young players involved, putting pressure on the normal starters.

After Ipswich, we have Boro at home and then Reading, QPR and Wigan. Boro will be tough, but the other four games are an opportunity to pick up points, gain some confidence and try to get back into the promotion race. The cup win helps, but these games are probably make or break time for DF.

Canary Rob likes this.
  7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Definately make or break. Is it simple enough to say, only win one or worse and he must be sacked? some will rest on performance but if we only take 4 or 5 points from those 15 available, his position will look very shakey. Lose to the Binners and go into the international break possibly in the bottom 3 and maybe he doesn't get the chance? For me he cannot lose the next two or perform very badly in either otherwise I think Webber will be forced to consider other options.

Bah!

8. RiverEndRick

Interesting article by Robin Sainty about the Leeds game and where we need to go from here.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-fc-1-5676477

He identifies what went wrong in that game, but fails to answer what is needed now. Certainly DF has a much better group of players to choose from than those he had last season but he now needs to blend them into a balanced and clinical fashion like that shown by Leeds.

With 8 new players joining the squad and Thompson, Godfrey and Aarons coming in as well, that is still work in progress. IMO, the key element Leeds had was confidence from their good start. We challenged that for the first 20 minutes, but two quick goals changed all that. Other than Krul, however, we have an unchanged defence, and can expect that to perform better than it has (Preston excepted). The key is to gain a balance between attack and defence. The 'shadow 11' did exactly that against Cardiff and it showed how well DF's tactics can work if the players get it right. We need points and the confidence good results bring and then hopefully kick on from there.

9. RiverEndRick

In his MFW article, Andy Head poses a very interesting question:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ith-an-axe-to-grind-help-citys-current-cause/

I've had the same question in the back of my mind since the transfer window closed. The football we are playing this season could well suit Oliveira. He could be another option to Rhodes, Pukki or Srbeny. Played up front instead of Rhodes or in behind instead of Pukki he could make an impact as a sub or even a starter.

Obviously he'd have to show commitment to the cause for that to happen, but can we really afford to let him sit it out until January?

JM Fan likes this.
  10. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I haven't a clue what his problem is, but fit and committed he is our best allround striker. Last season he was pretty awfull in the main.

11. RiverEndRick

David Freezer's take on the possibility of Oliveira's possible reintegration:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/ncfc-oliveira-situation-1-5680362

Certainly he needs to ask himself why nobody came in for him, even on loan. Srbeny will certainly start against Wycombe after his heroics in Cardiff, but Oliveira could be on the bench or even take over Pukki's role behind the striker. Be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    JM Fan likes this.
  12. RiverEndRick

Interesting article by Paddy Davitt about the progress so far of our 7 new players. I agree that Pukki has made the most impact so far with his 3 goals (and he got Finland's winner against Hungary yesterday). The comments about Leitner are also particularly apt:

"Leitner’s passing range makes him priceless in Farke’s preferred Norwich City starting line-up. A deeper role at Portman Road allowed him more time and space to pick a pass. Stepping into the huge shadow left by James Maddison is unfair. Leitner is a different operator, and understanding the need to give him the right platform across midfield is key to unlocking his creative potential."

Hopefully all 7 will start to show their full value in upcoming games. Full article here:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-analysis-new-summer-signings-1-5686671

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  14. RiverEndRick

He expresses himself well. I think he's an amazing coup for SW and DF. It's great that he and Rhodes have got goals early, especially after all the negative comments from Celtic fans.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

Pukki now has 5 goals in 9 appearances for City and Finland, and one of those was as a late sub. He does seem to be a natural goalscorer.

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  16. RiverEndRick

With 7 games in three weeks, we should have a much better idea of City's potential for this season.

• Sat, Sept 15 – Middlesbrough (h)

• Weds, Sept 19 – Reading (a – 8pm)

• Sat, Sept 22 – QPR (a)

• Tues, Sept 25 – Wycombe (a – 7.45pm)

• Sat, Sept 29 – Wigan (h)

• Weds, Oct 3 – Derby (a – 7.45pm)

• Sat, Oct 6 – Stoke (h)

EDP analysis here:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-hectic-spell-1-5690640

17. RiverEndRick

So, one win into our 7 games in three weeks, we now have an opportunity to extend our 3 game unbeaten run into something more, building confidence for the longer term. It's now or never really.

• Weds, Sept 19 – Reading (a – 8pm)

• Sat, Sept 22 – QPR (a)

• Tues, Sept 25 – Wycombe (a – 7.45pm)

• Sat, Sept 29 – Wigan (h)

• Weds, Oct 3 – Derby (a – 7.45pm)

• Sat, Oct 6 – Stoke (h)

18. RiverEndRick

Interesting article by PD on Mo Leitner's success playing in a deeper role. As DF says:

“He has played a few times in this defensive role for us. Not in the way of defending against the ball, but it allows him to have the game in front of him and he can influence it. A bit more like a quarter back role,” said Farke. He is able to do this and I don’t think it was a coincidence that at Ipswich he was there with his first goal for the club, a brilliant finish in a yellow shirt.

"It is important we play our style, and that is to control the game with the ball but also to be there with high pressing. We can’t copy a team like Middlesbrough or Cardiff last season. We don’t have the players to do this. We won’t win with only set pieces or concentrating on defending with six tall guys. We have the players to play football.”

And long may that last. Full article here:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...orwich-city-head-coach-daniel-farke-1-5699494

JM Fan likes this.
  19. RiverEndRick

20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

One of the best MFW articles I've read Rick and to quote RBF - 'one swallow doesn't make a summer', so it's going to be a VERY interesting few games between now and the next International break, especially considering our extensive (and ever increasing!!) injury list.
    Edit - Now that we've seen some improvement in our play/results(let's hope it's not temporary!!), has anyone seen any posts/comments from FML???