1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

3. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

What I used to do was edit the post, delete all text and just leave a full stop.
    I'm sure there's a more technical and sophisticated way, but mine used to
    get the job done, after a duplicate post, say.

Canary Spring likes this.
  4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yes, I liked that article as well. It looks deeper than the promotion race:

"Whether we go up and struggle, flourish or even remain in the Championship, the club are currently delivering on all fronts, so at this current moment in time success isn’t necessarily linked to the end result, it’s the process we’re going through to achieve it. The fans have bought into what Norwich are looking to build, both as a business and on the pitch, there’s a structure and a setup that should outlive the players and head coach if they ever decide to move on. Whether it’s the squad we have now, or the academy prospects coming through, or even young exciting players from other clubs that aren’t getting an opportunity, they’re the mould we want to see at our football club, buying into Farke’s style of football."

The Farke style is at the heart of our success this season because it has become ingrained into the players so they react instinctively to situations. That takes time to develop and bringing in expensive PL players won't achieve it.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From today’s MFW - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ries-soared-these-lads-have-earned-our-trust/
    Edit - Just seen this - https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwi...column-nothing-to-fear-championship-1-5878428
    'Leeds United away was supposed to be the biggest test the Championship can provide. Throw-in the sell-out crowd, the number of inexperienced players in the Norwich City squad and the spotlight on the top of the Championship that has got brighter in recent weeks after the ‘Spygate’ shenanigans surrounding Marcelo Bielsa and it felt like an occasion far beyond anything that had happened in City’s 29 previous Championship matches this season.
    A fan’s default setting is to mull over all of the bad things that could happen.
    A pessimist is never disappointed after all. Those concerns were completely misplaced as Norwich City roared out of the blocks at Elland Road with the sort of composed, eager and self-assured performance that sparked memories of how Alex Neil’s side had handled the Wembley play-off final against Middlesbrough four seasons ago.
    '

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. RiverEndRick

The comparison with Wembley is apt, not least for the fact that Bamford was on the losing side that day as well.

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's the same player who was pretty rubbish last season!!!
    #incredibledifference

8. RiverEndRick

Rubbish is a bit harsh, JMF. Like others, he struggled in the first half of last season as he adjusted to this league. He improved in the second half, but had to play in a variety of positions (much like Stiepermann). This season he had to wait for his chance, but he's certainly taken it in a big way. Leitner has a big challenge to gain his place back. It also shows the importance of a run of games in the same position. Seven goals in 23 league appearances, some as sub, is pretty good going for a CM and his defensive work has been good as well.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent post Rick and at long last we have round pegs in round holes. Some of the link up play with Stieperman is awesome and IF some of that clicks on Sunday .......

RiverEndRick likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If ever there was a MUST READ for EVERY NCFCffan, this is it - https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwi...s-trying-to-copy-his-side-s-success-1-5881742
    Just read this- - https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/david-hannant-post-leeds-1-5881702
    'I never thought I’d be writing this about a player I’ve spent the vast majority of the season purring over, but I honestly don’t see how Mo Leitner is going to win his place back. Last time around I wrote about how well Mario Vrancic has filled his boots – and he’s just got better and better.
    Just as we saw with Grant Hanley, I think the slick German may have to play the waiting game to get his starting berth back.
    In the recent weeks, Vrancic has added a real extra dimension to his game – chipping in with important goals, pulling the creative strings and putting his foot in whenever needed.
    Tom Trybull has also looked terrific. Ditto Emi Buendia. Onel Hernandez is just such a different player and Marco Stiepermann can’t be too far out of the running for player of the season. In fact, I’m struggling to think of a more complete midfield than the one we currently have. While I have no doubt that whenever Mo needs to be called on he’ll deliver, but I officially take back what I previously said about him walking straight back in.
    '

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    ncgandy likes this.

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

And the whole lot of them cost (probably) less than FLDC paid for Bradley Johnson <yikes>

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

13. RiverEndRick

I think we got all of them for less than Derby paid for BJ. DF gets to the heart of it here:

"We believe in developing players and lads who are desperate to wear this yellow shirt with pride. We know we are a surprise and other clubs are a bigger favourite to be top of the league, but we try to be there with our strengths. We know for many we are perhaps over-achieving and that is good. Let’s not go for realistic targets, let’s try to create something extraordinary."

The management guru Tom Peters talked about achieving "extraordinary results through ordinary people" and that is what DF is achieving through these players, with SW getting them here in the first place. It's all about synergy where the results are more than just the sum of the parts. Our best teams in the past have had it and this squad has it in abundance. You can't buy that.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Melissa Rudd: Daniel Farke has proved us all wrong ... even a pessimist like me. 'Saturday’s outstanding performance at Elland Road has this pessimist believing City can win the league, never mind scrape a top-six finish.'
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/melissa-rudd-post-leeds-1-5881689
    Edit – although she could have gone to Wembley as a member of the press and with corporate hospitality, she opted to go with her Dad as a normal fan!!!! <applause>

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...&utm_source=eshot&utm_campaign=newsletterlink

canary-dave likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

The latest Super Computer predictions of the final positions:

Norwich City 95
    Leeds United 85
    West Brom 84
    Sheffield United 84
    Middlesbrough 80
    Bristol City 75
    Derby County 74
    Nottingham Forest 71
    Birmingham City 70
    Hull City 66
    Swansea City 65
    Brentford 64
    Blackburn Rovers 64
    Aston Villa 63
    Preston 61
    QPR 55
    Sheffield Wednesday 54
    Stoke City 52
    Wigan 52
    Millwall 49
    Reading 40
    Rotherham 35
    Ipswich Town 29
    Bolton 28

Be nice if it happens.

17. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Looks rubbish, what sort of computer thinks the binners can get off the bottom?
    I call it a two bit silly thing!

Bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A quick glance suggests that, were that scenario to play out, we could confirm promotion on the same day Ipswich confirm relegation. Wouldn't that be something.

19. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Leeds have Ipswich on the final day too. We'd better have first or second tied up by then as I don't think the Binners will do us any favours there.

RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member