1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Jul 29, 2018.

1. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Excellent article. Leitner, Klose and Tetty all in the championship top 10 for completed passes. An amazing stat. We have to tie Klose down to a contract extension, promotion wi!l obviously help that to happen, Tetty is playing the best football of his City career, and what can you say about the impact that Leitner has had. How on earth was he being ignored by the rest of the European football community? He is definitely premiership quality.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'll update my 'form table at the end of the month!! <ok>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

4. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Over 2000 minutes for Teemu in all competitions this season. https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25028/Show/Teemu-Pukki

I think he should be rested at Bristol City to prepare for the difficult schedule coming up. Rhodes can handle the striker duties and get in some good playing time.

RiverEndRick, canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

What's great is the unity of all concerned, as he points out:

"When that Bolton equaliser hit the back of the net with two minutes left on the clock however, Carrow Road reacted differently to what I’ve seen before. There was a rousing rendition of on the ball city and a genuine belief that if we could carve out another chance, we’d have the bottle to take it. The rest is history, Teemu Pukki scored another memorable last-minute goal in front of the Barclay and Daniel Farke’s men remain at the top of the table."

It was like the spontaneous roar that broke out as they set off down the pitch to score the winner against Millwall. I haven't seen anything like it since the early 1990s. Long may it last!

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  6. RiverEndRick

He did have a 3 game break when he was injured, but he could still do with a break and Rhodes deserves a chance to start. If necessary, Teemu could come on for the last 5 minutes to score the winner! <laugh>

Canary Spring, canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  7. Canary Spring

I don't remember Teemu missing that much but I'm getting old. :biggrin:

8. RiverEndRick

You should worry. I've been old for some time now! ;)

Rhodes came in for 3 matches in November (all wins) and scored 2 goals.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Canary Spring likes this.
  9. Canary Spring

Aha! I see it now - Forest, Villa and Brentford. That was over a month ago! I can't be expected to remember that far back. :redface:

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

His winner against Villa at CR when he just managed to get to the ball in front of Chester was classic!!!!!

11. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Excellent article on NCFC here - and not a Reindeer nor a Moose in sight <ok>

Webber: "As a self-funded club, our sole aim is not to win. It can't be. The aim has to be to have value in our squad because for us to survive we have to sell when we are in the Championship. We could have gone all out to win promotion, appointed Sam Allardyce and signed a load of 32-year-olds. But if we didn't get promoted then we'd probably have gone bust."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-table-stuart-webber-explains-how-it-happened

12. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

A very revealing interwiew, in which he basically slams his, and DF 's predecessors, by saying there was no strategic plan or continuity. I remember his amazement when he found that the first team squad and the youth trained seperately.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Cromer and IMO, it has to be THE most in-depth article I have read with the final para being superb - "The great thing about football is that having money helps but that's not the only way of being successful," says Webber. "You have to be optimistic and try to find another way."

If you think that the remaining fixtures in Dec are tough, have a look at what’s in store before the visit of 1p5wich. <yikes>

aa-0119.jpg
    Ourselves and Leeds have a really tough month and I’d expect Villa to creep into the top 6 by the end of Jan.

14. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

Loved that article, really gives you a feeling that the club is in good hands

Walsh.i.am and JM Fan like this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Alex Neil gets a slight tongue-lashing for picking up the precocious (£20m, as it turned out) talent that is / was James Maddison ...and never giving him a game?? <doh>

JM Fan likes this.
  16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

JM Fan likes this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

18. RiverEndRick

19. RiverEndRick

The conclusion to the Sky sports article says it all:

"So what would promotion mean?" It would safeguard the club for the next 10 to 15 years really," he adds. "It would help us not have to sell our best young players and enable us to invest further in the future. There is still more work to do at the training ground and more work in the academy to make that the best it can be. If we are fortunate enough to get back up, it will give us the chance to set it up for the future, whatever league we are in. That would be the dream."

The reality is that, whatever happens, Norwich are finally getting it right."

Long term development thinking at last!

20. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

We must never return to the mistakes of the past if we do go up again. Any stay in the Premiership must be purely for the money and any calls for large sums to be spent in attempts to stay up must be ignored. As some of you know I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to accounts. When the weather was bad last week - yes that does happen in the South of France - I spent some time scouring the accounts for the last few years. It is amazing what information can be gleaned from various attachments to the accounts. I assume that both Jarvis and Naismith are out of contract at the end of the season and if they are I calculate that those 2 players will have cost the Club a total of £28m. It is not the fault of the players but that sort of mistake must never be allowed to happen again.