1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So the ‘Super Computer’ has come up with its ‘End of Season predictions’ and I wonder how far out it will be??
    I’d be quite happy if it looked close to what is shown here, but I’m not convinced that 1p5wich will be relegated!! 050519.png

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

My point was a comparison between the present team and the one playing at this time last season when we fell away so badly. Had Krul and Lewis had a pre-season we could have taken more points early on. Our form over the last 10 games has been worthy of that of a top team and could have been even better if we'd had Hernandez and the other injured players during that run. As always in the Championship, however, it's about consistency over the whole season and that will separate the top six from the rest.

The top 12 in JMF's table looks about right to me, but the order of finish will be determined by each team's consistency over the whole season. I do feel that we now have a squad with the skills to compete with the rest and the depth to ride out injuries as well. There's also a team spirit and togetherness which can also be a crucial factor in achieving consistency. The potential is there, but only time will tell whether it will be achieved.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Your last sentence says it all Rick - we have the potential for a top ten (whisper it, top 6) finish, but it's whether we can get the consistency to achieve it.
    It will be very interesting to compare the current league table with the one at the end of December once all the teams have played each other at least once!!!

4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I don't think we do have a weak link, it's not like we have: Husband, Martin or a stroppy Portugueser in the starting eleven. Every player in our starting XI over this season is i think a solid player for this division. What we maybe don't have is: positivity in or the right tactics, stars, or even enough players that are better than solid at this level.
    Of course all of those points are a rolling assessment. Pukki could very well prove more than just solid as could many of the team. The tactics look better this season than last as the players perhaps are getting to grips with them. Let's see where we are at halfway, we will know a lot more then.

Bah!

RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Roll on boxing day <cracker>

6. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

1p5hit have won a game, don't you know. The first of very few.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

You can now get a 'half-season' ST which starts with the Boxing Day game!!
    Contact the ticket office for details. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. RiverEndRick

I agree, but part of the current strength is the lack of a 'star', a key player like Madders last season who the opposition seeks to nullify. We have recruited some players who have been stars in the past but then lost their way. Leitner and Krul look to be getting back to their best and Rhodes has already scored 5 goals this season. Pukki was a star with Brondby and has carried that on for Finland and for us. Hernandez was showing star quality before his injury and hopefully he can get back to that now. Then there are Buendia, Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell who have come into the line-up and played well from the start. Any of those could become stars. The key thing is that they also put the team first and play with a togetherness which we haven't had since Lambert was here. That said, we need to keep improving to create the consistency needed over the whole season. That's what we'll have a better idea of by the time Boxing day arrives.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It really is taking shape and looking forward to when they have seating installed so that I can take my granddaughter to watch Under 18/23 games there, as she's really keen on football.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

11. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Speaking of Ben Godfrey, he seems to be in a holding pattern. He's not getting very much playing time in league games, but we can't loan him out because he's needed as a backup at CB. I don't think cup games are enough to help him progress.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  12. RiverEndRick

It's a question worth asking, CS. Ben is capable of playing at DM, CB and RB. He's currently behind Tettey, Trybull and Thompson at DM, behind Aarons, Pinto, Marshall and Passlack at RB and behind Hanley, Klose and Zimmerman at CB. Should injuries occur in any of those positions he has a chance. At the moment, Hanley's injury means he's more likely to feature at CB, as he has as sub before now and in the cup matches. His time will certainly come, but he just needs to be patient.

JM Fan and Canary Spring like this.
  13. RiverEndRick

canary-dave likes this.
  14. Forgot_My_Lines

Does look and sound impressive and exciting.

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's only just over 3 miles from home and if car parking is a problem, I can always park at IFR and walk up to see games.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just seen this and it can only be fantastic news that the youff believe they can develop better under DF than moving and possibly only occasionally playing - 'Daniel Farke revealed the likes of Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis rejected overtures from suitors to pledge their futures to the Canaries. Lewis, Aarons and Louis Thompson all penned new Carrow Road deals - announced over the international break - after buying into an exciting vision under Farke and sporting director Stuart Webbber.'
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...ore-signing-new-deals-reveals-farke-1-5744533

17. RiverEndRick

It's quite amazing that we have 4 youffs either starting or competing for places. It'd be a shame to see them move and be stuck in the U23s for years. There's also those out on loan who could be competing for places next season, all of which creates a buzz throughout the club and the fans as well as being a spur to others coming up through the Academy.

JM Fan likes this.
  18. Forgot_My_Lines

3 miles from Colney? Don't think I'm far off that.

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've just seen this article by Robin Sainty and his last few paragraphs sum up most of how I feel about NCFC at the moment - 'There are many good things about the club at the moment, not least the fact that the accounts have now confirmed how well the ship has been steered through difficult financial waters (and huge credit must go to Steve Stone for that), but perhaps the most pleasing is the way that the fans have bought into Farke and his team this season.
    The level of support on Tuesday was excellent, particularly after Villa’s goal, but the way in which the crowd sensed the need to lift the players in the interminable injury time caused by the injury to the unfortunate Louis Thompson and responded with a barrage of noise was outstanding.
    That sort of support allied to the combination of technical excellence and flair that we’re seeing on the pitch could be a winning combination in a league that once again looks wide open, but it’s important that expectations are managed, particularly for such a young team. However, with some big players on the way back from injury there are good reasons to be optimistic.'
    The crowd I feel played a VERY important part in 'lifting' the players and JR's 2nd goal was exactly what was needed and deserved to ensure we were the eventual winners.
    Quite a length article, but well worth reading - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/robin-sainty-on-wins-at-forest-and-villa-1-5752877

carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  20. RiverEndRick

Excellent article JMF. That support on Tuesday was amazing, particularly when things weren't going well. We've talked about the importance of consistency over the whole season and that togetherness of players, coaching staff, club and fans is crucial to achieve that. Sainty is also right in pointing out the players' reaction to adversity and the joie de vivre that drives them on, as it has in the last two matches. In addition to that is the technical prowess and instinctive passing now seen throughout games. As Sainty says:

"And there’s the difference between this squad and last season’s in a nutshell. Last year City only very rarely managed to rally in the face of adversity, but this group of players seem to positively relish a challenge. We saw that again against Villa on Tuesday. Despite the loss of Alex Tettey shortly before the game and having to adjust to the different skill-set provided by Tom Trybull, City still looked slick, and while they lacked a cutting edge in the first half could consider themselves unlucky to go in at the break trailing to James Chester’s deflected header. However, despite Villa trying to take the sting out of the game after half-time, City’s relentless passing and movement ground them down, topped off by the predatory finishing of Rhodes."

City's poor run of results lasted the first 5 games. This good run has lasted 11 games, including the undeserved loss to Stoke, and the quality of play seems to improve match after match. Most of us feared the worst when Pukki was injured, but Rhodes has risen to the occasion and suddenly we have two potent strikers to call upon. The amazing pace and competence which Lewis and Aarons have shown has also been a stimulus to all concerned and long may that continue. Brentford will be another tough test, but it should be one we're ready for.

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.