1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2014 Masters Championships, Augusta National GC, Augusta, GA

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Apr 8, 2014.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Welcome to one of the greatest golf tournaments in the world for the 77th edition of what is just simply called The Masters. Augusta National opens its doors once more to let us become enthralled by what some of the best golfers in the world can do on one of the best looking golf tracks in the world. From 1934 when a certain Horton Smith won the inaugural event, and prize money of $1500, this course has had all players yearning to be called the Masters Champion. It has a ring to it. It means something much more to the players who win it. It carries a huge amount of kudos to any player who says. ‘I’ve won the Green Jacket…’ History seems to seep out everywhere you look here at Augusta, with some of the best players to have ever graced a golf course making a name for here at this tournament. It is ‘THE’ one they want to put on their CV, the one that makes them stand out as a top golfer. But it is not that easy to win here and one or two of the greats have not won here and it can prove a bit of an albatross to some, ask Greg Norman…!?!?! So, who will be making the headlines this year and trying on the fabled Green Jacket…???

First of all we need to remember some of the facts and stats that you need to do to win here. There dos seem to be a few things that pop out at you that your selection needs to be able to do to fit the winners profile here. You need to score well on the par 5’s. Secondly, you’re putting stats need to be strong to read these tricky greens. And a good knowledge of the course is absolutely paramount to plotting your way around this gorgeous looking course.

So with this in mind I will go through the most likely contenders for this year’s MASTERS, starting with last year’s Champion and the Top 10 in the market…

Adam Scott…
    I will start with the Champion, Adam Scott, as he looks to emulate Tiger Woods in 2001-02 when he retained his jacket in back to back wins. Nick Faldo is the only other player to do this in the last 25 years, so it’s going to be a big ask for the Aussie to do. He has had a good start to the season this year, not missing one cut and finishing at worst 12th out of his 5 tournament this year. Shot 69 three times last year in recording his final score of -9, and will be strong again this year. Although he hasn’t played enough rounds to enter the stats for Birdies made on par 5’s, if he did he would be leading the list by a country mile…!!! Current odds 12/1…

Rory McIlroy…
    He infuriates me one day, and then has me in disbelief the next. Supremely talented, the Irishman should one day say he is a Masters Champion. He has it in him, and I just hope he isn’t looking back in time, over those two holes back in 2010 where he blew the chance to win here. But that was then, this is now, and we have yet to see the Rory Roar back on the golf course where he just blasts the opposition away with his power and precision of his golf shots. The change of clubs he made last year just now seems to be working for him, but he still seems a little bit of the pace for me… Current odds 10/1…

Big Phil…
    Phil Mickelson is one of the greats around here, and he has 3 green jackets to prove it. His last victory came four years ago in 2010 but he came close again in 2012 when finishing only two shots off the tied pair of Oosthuizen and eventual winner Bubba Watson. Has had a few issues this year with his play, but he will always give you value for this play if you back him. He hasn’t broken into any Top 10 this year but if any course can bring the best out of him, then Augusta National is one of them… Current odds 14/1…

Jason Day…
    The one they call ‘All-Day’ because of his slow playing style, Jason is certainly one for the punter to take notice of. In three starts here at the Masters he has a 3rd, WD and a T2nd to his name, which is not too shabby a record, is it? He has got a problem with his left thumb at the moment, and has had some cortisone injections put into it, that's a concern for me. Also this will be the first time he has played since the winning the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship six weeks ago. He says he is fit, but a golfer has to have good hands, and in a Major event I would like him to have really good hands. It just puts me off him this year… Current odds 16/1…

Koooocchhhhhh…
    Matt Kuchar is a one of the most consistent players on the Tour, and has been for the past 2 years if were honest. He has finished in the Top 10 five times out of his eight events he had played in this year, though he hasn’t won any of them. But that has to be the only negative towards him as he plays great golf shots with intelligence around the course as well. His stats don’t jump out at you saying that he is the best at this or that, but the few stats that will help him is that his putting is superb in most categories. Has a great chance to win his first Major if everything clicks together… Current odds 22/1…

El Nino…
    Sergio Garcia, along with Lee Westwood are in that category of golfers who have yet to add a Major to their winners column, and god only knows with Sergio as he has gone mighty close in his time in them. His record is not very strong here, with only three top 10’s in 15 visits here, where he has also missed the cut on 4 of those attempts at winning the jacket. T8th and T12th in his last 2 visits here though means that you have to think about him maybe going close again this year. Comes here on the back of a 3rd place finish in the Shell Open, and has the best scoring on the Tour at the moment. Could this be his year…??? Current odds 22/1…

The Ice Man...
    Henrick Stenson, last year’s best golfer by a long drive, see’s this year’s campaign not exactly following the form guide of what he achieved in 2013. He doesn’t exactly come here in the best of form after his T54th in the Shell Open last week, and coupled with his so-so record around here we might not see him trouble the scorers again in this year’s event. A best of T17th, he has missed the cut 3 times out of his 7 attempts around here, coming T18th last year. We know he is capable of winning a Major, but will it be this one…? Current odds 25/1…

Dusty…
    Dustin Johnson has huge potential to win a Major. He plays long, can putt like a demon, and has a good short game. So what has stopped him from doing so? Well, he always seems to have some sort of niggling injury every year, and that seems to stop any consistency from building up. If it’s not his wrist, it’s his back. Or he then complains of a side muscle problem. If he stays fit though I think he can have a big say in this year’s Masters. Scores really well on the Par 5’s, and has improved his putting stats year on year. With drew himself from last week’s Shell Houston Open because of stiffness to his back, he is looking to better his T13th last year and make the Top 10 for the first time in 5 attempts here… Current odds 25/1…

Bubba and the Pink Driver…
    If any one player reminds me of some of the club players that I have played with it is Bubba Watson. Although they are not in the same league as this bloke, they all seem to try and smash it as far as they can, and fail, unlike Bubba. And they, and me included, try and take on shots that with a bit of thought we know we can’t pull off, but we go for them anyway. When you watch him at times you’re saying to yourself, ‘What you doing here Bubba…?’ and then he goes and plays some ridiculously hard shot and makes it look easy. The hook shot he pulled off in the play-off to win the Masters back in 2012 is one shot that springs to mind straight away, just pure Bubba at his best. They say that lefties seem to have an advantage around here, and although that stat stands up to be about 50/50 over the past 11 years – (Phil Mickleson, Bubba and Mike Weir have won 5 of the last 11…) it doesn’t mean that they will feature come Sunday night. He won the Northern Trust event in February this year but pulled out of the Arnold Palmer two weeks ago… Current odds 28/1…

Rose of England…
    Justin Rose broke the hoodoo of a Brit not winning in America last year when he won the US Open at the Merion GC, and thus thrust his name forward to be considered for each and every Major he plays in. This will be his 9th time around the Augusta National, where he has a best finish of T5th back in 2007, though he should have done better than T25th last year. After the second round had been completed he sat in the Top 5 at -3, but faded in the next two rounds to finish +3. He hasn’t played much this year yet and maybe he is gearing his start to the season by winning the Masters this week…??? Current odds 33/1…

So that is the top 10 in the market looked at, but what about the other contenders, as we have plenty to go at…

2. redcgull

There is a big thing about players making their debut around this course, not since Fuzzy Zeoller in 1979 has a debutant won on his first attempt, and I don’t see that stat being repeated here this year. That’s not to say it won’t happen, but I doubt it…!!!

Players usually have to played on average 6 times around here to make a great fist of it to even win here let alone place, but here has been the odd exception. Charl Schwartzel won here back in 2011 in only his second appearance here. Zach Johnson took 3 attempts, so did Tiger Woods. But Phil Mickelson took 12 attempts before he won the first of his three jackets and Adam Scott’s took exactly the same amount of tries. So maybe he can follow in the great mans shoes and win three of the next 7 trips to Augusta…???

Of the other contenders left in the market who I think have a chance are…

Brandt Snedeker made his first Top 10 last week in the Shell Open, but he has been inconsistent this year. A slight injury concern, he has not hit the heights that we know he can this year, plus his putting is indifferent at best… Current odds 33/1…

Charl Schwartzel, the 2011 winner, comes here with little form to his name and not a lot of golf behind him… Current odds 33/1…

Another past winner is Zach Johnson, who claimed the green jacket back in 2007, but hasn’t broken into the top 20 since. He won the first event of the year in Hawaii, and finished T6th last week in the Shell Open. Has made more puts than anyone else from over 25’ and that can be a big factor around here on these greens… Current odds 35/1…

Keegan Bradley makes his 3rd trip to Augusta and he will definitely trying to improve the T54th and T27th finish he has to his name at the moment. Is still using the soon to be banned long putter, which amazes me, and sits 11th in 3-putt avoidance on the Tour. But he isn’t playing to his best at the moment… Current odds 40/1…

Jason Dufner broke into the league of Major winners last year when winning the USPGA, and he is on a mini roll at the moment finishing T14th, 9th, 9th in his last 3 events. Though to temper that he hasn’t bettered T20th in his past three times around here. Maybe he is one who is still getting to know the course before featuring at the top… Current odds 40/1…

The New One on the block, and highest ranked with the bookies, Jordan Speith makes his debut at Augusta with the golfing world predicting big things for the lad from Dallas. Though it is hard to see a debutant winning here, he has been consistent all year. Four top 10’s already this year show us that he is more than capable… Current odds 40/1…

Hunter Mahan is one of those players who could be right for this course if he gets it all together. Three missed cuts to his name in his 7 visits here doesn’t say so, but if he makes the cut he is T28th, T10th, T8th and T12th. Ranks 9th in the scoring for Par 5’s this year 14th in Total Driving and 19th in All Round Putting… Current odds 45/1…

Lee Westwood…?!?!? What can we say about him that won’t infuriate us that he hasn’t managed to win one of the Majors in his professional golfing career? His last four attempts here have seen him finish T8th, T3rd, T11th and 2nd, so he knows his way around here. So what has stopped him? To be honest I think it’s been down to a bit of bad luck, coupled with him seemingly throwing in a couple bad holes in a round where he drops3-4 shots. He is the only golfer in the event to have featured in the top 15 for each of the last 4 years, that’s gotta count for something… Current odds 50/1…

Luke Donald is at something of a crossroads for me, as he always seems to be in contention each and every year but never seems to deliver the big Major win he should. He finished T3rd in his first attempt around Augusta back in 2005, and apart from a T4th in 2011 he has either missed the cut or finished outside the top 25.He hasn’t set the world alight on either side of the Atlantic this year… Current odds 50/1…

If Ian Poulter brings that Ryder Cup form to any tournament in the world put his name on the cup straight away. But he dosnt play like a world beater in these events and it will start to niggle him that he hasn’t won a Major title yet in his career. He missed the cut last year after finishing 7th the year before, he isn’t exactly pulling up trees this year at the moment and I can see another missed opportunity in a Major for him this year… Current odds 55/1…

Some of the longer each way players out there…?

Bill Haas is a 70/1 shot at the moment probably because he hasn’t been any higher than T20th here but he dos have a chance. The big factor against him is if the rain slows down the course as he wont be hitting the green with pitching irons as he isn’t the longest hitter on the Tour… Current odds 70/1…

Jim Furyk, he of the weird back swing, but great follow through, picks and chooses his events nowadays and he can prepare himself for the events HE wants now. A Major winner back in 2003 when he won the US Open, his record in the big ones is very good. One win, three seconds and thirteen top 10’s… Current odds 70/1…

Steve Striker, like Jim Furyk, is another player who is picking and choosing his events. Not as good as Furyk, he has had mixed fortunes here at Augusta where his best finish is a T6th in 2009. Current odds 80/1…

Gary Woodland is only making his 3rd appearance here but he has a T24 and a WD to his name. Probably not one for total faith, he dos however hit it long, Ranked 14th for Distance, and is 7th for GIR on the Tour. He dos however need his putting to stand up to the scrutiny of what Augusta has to offer to feature at the top… Current odds 80/1…

Mark Leishman came 4th here last year in only his 2nd appearance, which takes some doing. If he can replicate that then backers of him will be very happy. Current odds 80/1…

Ryan Moore is one player who I think will eventually break into the top 20 of the World and stay around for a while. He isn’t the longest off the tee but he is accurate, plus his GIR stats are good across the board… Current odds 100/1…

Nick Watney has a half decent record around here without being spectacular. Made the cut in every one of his 6 visits here a solo 7th is the best show for his efforts… Current odds 100/1…

Francesco Molinari makes his 5th appearance here and has a best of T19th here back in 2012, but he is playing well at the moment, finishing 5th in the Arnold Palmer last month… Current odds 100/1…

Peter Hanson is another player who bucked the trend of having to have played Augusta a few times to get the feel of it when he cam T3rd in 2012 only 2 shots back of eventual winner Bubba Watson. Anything like that again here and he might go close again… Current odds 125/1…

Thorbjorn Olesen finished T6th, -4 under par here last year making his debut, and comes here with a T3rd and T5th on the European Tour recently. He can only have good feelings about playing here and could go well again here… Current odds 125/1…

3. redcgull

4. redcgull

Tee Times for the opening two rounds...

Round 1 + Round 2 Times - Players
    7:45 a.m. + 10:52 a.m. Stewart Cink, Tim Clark
    7:56 a.m. + 11:03 a.m. Ian Woosnam, John Huh, Kevin Stadler
    8:07 a.m. + 11:14 a.m. Ben Crenshaw, Y.E. Yang, Jonas Blixt
    8:18 a.m. + 11:25 a.m. Mark O'Meara, Steven Bowditch, *Jordan Niebrugge
    8:29 a.m. + 11:36 a.m. John Senden, Boo Weekley, David Lynn
    8:40 a.m. + 11:47 a.m. Craig Stadler, Scott Stallings, Martin Kaymer
    8:51 a.m. + 12:09 p.m. Tom Watson, Billy Horschel, Brendon de Jonge
    9:02 a.m. + 12:20 p.m. Mike Weir, Matt Every, Roberto Castro
    9:13 a.m. + 12:31 p.m. Angel Cabrera, Gary Woodland, Ian Poulter
    9:24 a.m. + 12:42 p.m. Fred Couples, Webb Simpson, *Chang-woo Lee
    9:35 a.m. + 12:53 p.m. Graeme McDowell, Rickie Fowler, Jimmy Walker
    9:57 a.m. + 13:04 p.m. Zach Johnson, K.J. Choi, Steve Stricker
    10:08 a.m. + 13:15 p.m. Miguel Angel Jimenez, Bill Haas, Matteo Manassero
    10:19 a.m. + 13:26 p.m. Hideki Matsuyama, Brandt Snedeker, Jamie Donaldson
    10:30 a.m. +13:37 p.m. Charl Schwartzel, Jim Furyk, Thorbjorn Olesen
    10:41 a.m. +13:48 p.m. Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, *Matthew Fitzpatrick
    10:52 a.m. +13:59 p.m. Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Rory McIlroy
    11:03 a.m. + 7:45 a.m. Kevin Streelman, D.A. Points
    11:14 a.m. + 7:56 a.m. Larry Mize, Branden Grace, *Michael McCoy
    11:25 a.m. + 8:07 a.m. Sandy Lyle, Matt Jones, Ken Duke
    11:36 a.m. + 8:18 a.m. Jose Maria Olazabal, Lucas Glover, *Garrick Porteous
    11:47 a.m. + 8:29 a.m. Nick Watney, Stephen Gallacher, Darren Clarke
    12:09 p.m. + 8:40 a.m. Vijay Singh, Thomas Bjorn, Ryan Moore
    12:20 p.m. + 8:51 a.m. Matt Kuchar, Louis Oosthuizen, Thongchai Jaidee
    12:31 p.m. + 9:02 a.m. Trevor Immelman, Graham DeLaet, *Oliver Goss
    12:42 p.m. + 9:13 a.m. Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Derek Ernst, Sang-moon Bae
    12:53 p.m. + 9:24 a.m. Bernhand Langer, Francesco Molinari, Chris Kirk
    13:04 p.m. +9:35 a.m. Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson
    13:15 p.m. +9:57 a.m. Bubba Watson, Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia
    13:26 p.m. + 10:08 a.m. Joost Luiten, Marc Leishman, Hunter Mahan
    13:37 p.m. + 10:19 a.m. Keegan Bradley, Victor Dubuisson, Peter Hanson
    13:48 p.m. + 10:30 a.m. Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Justin Rose
    13:59 p.m. + 10:41 a.m. Harris English, Lee Westwood, Russell Henley

Ive highlighted some of the bigger names in the list and on first glance I think Westwood has been handed a tough start... I always think that last out on day 1 and first out on day 2 means you get the tougher conditions, but we shall see...

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Cracking write up!

6. redcgull

Cheers Stick... I've not quiet got my picks down yet, im at about 6 players at the moment, but i'll get them up posted soon... Lets hope we can find the winner or fill the placing's as the forum had a good year last year if memory serves me right...<cheers>

7. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Great write up and analysis Red. 2 for me against the field; Stenson @ 30s and Furyk @ 75s. Good luck narrowing down your selections.

8. stick

stick Bumper King

Harder than trying to solve the National this one and similar in as much as course form is almost vital.
    Last years top three all have the game to go close again, ADAM SCOTT (12-1), ANGEL CABRERA (66-1) and JASON DAY (18-1).
    Two players that also do well here are LEE WESTWOOD (50-1) and MATT KUCHAR (25-1). Westwood is frustrating and I think its a lot about nerve but each way punters need him in their portfolio as you should get a great run for your money.
    Improving American HARRIS ENGLISH (70-1) could have the game for Augusta and you always have to throw in the obligatory lesser known Swede so a mention for JONAS BLIXT (300-1).
    Sod whittling it down to any less than that!

9. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Like a child on Xmas EVE! Cannot wait!

My bets this week;

Keegan Bradley 40/1
    Jordan Speith 40/1
    Louis Oosthuizen 70/1
    Hideki Matsuyama 80/1
    Brendon De Jonge 200/1
    Thongchai Jaidee 250/1

All varying degrees of each way bets!!

Also have a few 72 hole match bets on. 2x £20 4 folds

Bubba v Dustin 10/11
    Rose v Stenson 10/11
    Charl v Zach 10/11
    Donald v Fowler 4/5

English v Walker 10/11
    Bradley v Sneds 10/11
    Mickelson v Day 10/11
    Spieth v Westwood 10/11

Goodluck to all who play!

10. redcgull

Well after ive pulled my hair out at who I think will or wont do well around here ive gone with the following...

Matt Kuchar @ 28/1... Did him last year, and he is in great form. He also looks like he has the game at the moment and will put himself in great position come Sunday I hope...

Hunter Mahan @ 45/1... This will be his 8th attempt around here and he has T10, T8 + T12 to his name for his last 3 completed rounds. Time to step forward and break into the top 6, or win it...!!!!

Lee Westwood @ 55/1... The only player in the field to finish in the Top 12 for the last 4 years, and although he isn't having the best of times at the moment, for a bloke with his record here recently you've got to take a look at it... Goes out last on the first day and obviously first out on day 2. If he gets a good first round in then he will have the softer conditions on Day 2... Well, that's my thinking...<laugh>

Ryan Moore @ 80/1... Fits the stats well, Accurate off the tee, 9th in GIR, 6th visit here and is 13th in making the most Birdies this year...

Thorbjorn Olesen @ 125/1... As I said in my preview of the players he finished T6th, -4 under par last year making his debut, has had a T3rd and T5th on the European Tour recently. He can only have good feelings about playing here and could go well again here&#8230;

All bets done to the usual £2.50 e/w... PadPow pay 1/4 odds top 6...<cheers>

So there we have it... Bring it on...!!!

11. YouCanCallMeJeff

YouCanCallMeJeff Active Member

You've mentioned the whole field but not my two picks Red! I've gone for Fowler and Harris English both 60/1 with PP. Though the draw for tea times has not been kind on either. People are saying that English hasn't got the course experience at Augusta with this being his first masters, he will have played Augusta whilst at college.

I read somewhere, which makes sense, the Augusta national has 7 right to left doglegs so suits the players who favour a draw..

12. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Spot on and 'big' Philly's power fade also for the lefty's :emoticon-0148-yes:

Have it narrowed down to about 72 players now :grin: will post selcetions once final decision has been reached.

13. SaveTheHumans

Thorbjorn Olesen 125/1 backed him in this last year and have backed him for a fair few ET events which he has done well in. Been watching this lad over the past few seasons and he did remarkably well last year on Debut and I was thrilled with his showing. Possibly should be winning more with his game but he has time still. Very cool customer and it stands him in good stead on the course where he can be patient and wait for a better opportunity to arise for scoring rather than play stupid shots and that is a key feature of Augusta, score on the 'scoring' holes and bore it to death elsewhere. I hope Olesen is using his wedges well because if he is I think he can put in a strong showing once more and with that little experience now in his favour hopefully he and caddie have all the nuances sussed out for a good week.

Pat Reed 60/1 breaking my own rules here backing a virgin Masters player but this guy's confidence is infectious and he has been on fire thus far this year. Don't see to many problems with his game really and if he can bring his recent form into this event he will do well indeed. A bold showing expected.

Nick Watney 125/1 Used to love watching Watney play and then not so much but 2014 has seen his form comeback and now after all the rigmarole with ex coach Butch Harmon out of his mind he can go well. Is possibly as solid a golfer you will find tee to green and if he get's the putter rolling well, can get in contention to land a blow at a time when he really ought to pushing on in his career for the success his game deserves.

3 bet's at 5 e/w done with Skybet for interest over the 4 day's (hopefully)

Good luck as usual lads and let's home one of us brings home the bacon...hmmmm bacon!!

14. SaveTheHumans

Anyone think the bookies are being a bit skimpy with the odds towards the top of the market? They are obviously the most likely winners and best talents on their day but I reckon they could still go 20/1 the likes of McIlroy and Scott I mean their good but this Is the best golfers on the planet, technically they are all of equal ability on any given day the robbing cants!

15. SaveTheHumans

No one keen on Ol' Freddy Couples? Always seems to perform well here if he could just not tire come Sunday..

16. redcgull

Jeff, I think that Rickie Fowler might struggle as he has had a cortisone injection in his left thumb, and I crossed him off my initial list, sorry... As for Harris, its that debut player thing that puts me off...

I wish you well, like I do everyone who has a little flutter, I didn't mean to miss out on your choices... Maybe next year I will do a mini profile on them all...:emoticon-0113-sleep :emoticon-0126-nerd: :emoticon-0173-middl <laugh><laugh>

17. redcgull

STH, as soon as Tiger pulled out with his injury most of the top 25 in the market shrank by 5-10 points...!!! Those bleedin pesky bookies...<grr>:emoticon-0146-punch

18. SaveTheHumans

I know red they are some chancers. BTW ..you may want to rethink that Ryan Moore bet he's only gone and burned up the par 3!!
    Someone has to break the duck though surely...

19. YouCanCallMeJeff

YouCanCallMeJeff Active Member

Wasn't having a pop, you can't cover them all! Where did you hear about Fowlers problems with his thumb? I have a quick google but can only find a story on Day having had a cortisone shot for his left thumb, have they both got the same injury??

Moneys on now so I am buggered if he does have a dicky thumb!

Bookies are c***s but its not as if we won't bet whatever liberties they take!

20. redcgull

Jeff, my mistake, it was Jason Day who had the cortisone... Ive looked at too many players this week, they have all morphed into one...<yikes>

I know you wernt havin a pop, its just one of those things when you put a write up of your thoughts...<ok>