1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That will be a NO then

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by eric cartman, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly seemed to accelerate (or simply exacerbate) the sense of entitlement the two Glasgow teams seem(ed) to feel when it comes to distribution of cash and it allowed them both to give full expression to their rampaging greed and lack of consideration for others, but the rest certainly seemed keen enough to cash in. To my mind you’re probably right, though, in that Sky has killed off the game – or at least played a very significant part in doing so. I’d love live football on TV to be abolished (save for cup finals) and can’t stand all this faffing around with football being played on Mondays and Tuesdays etc – Saturday, 3pm, with all teams kicking off at the same time and the fans can maybe watch some limited highlights on BBC Scotland later on that night, if they behave.

When English football collapses, as it eventually will (surely?), we’d do well to be ahead of the curve. And no, I don’t care if this means a reduction in the perceived prestige (or otherwise) of the Scottish game and I certainly don’t care if it means there is less money sloshing about.

Quite right.

But actually, I think it might be considered by some to be perfectly fair and also, for want of a better word, nice. Or maybe even “lovely” - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Given the state we're all in, now might be as good a time as any to ditch narrow self-interest in favour of something altogether more uplifting. Would I want Aberdeen to behave in a similar fashion (letting go of money they might - for some reason - believe they were more entitled to) if they were the biggest, richest, best supported club in Scotland? Yes. Emphatically so. (And even if they weren't the biggest and richest club etc - which clearly they're not - I'd still want them to behave in the same way if it meant an equality of distribution.) Why should the biggest, richest, best supported clubs receive more money than anyone else, after all? It feels rather ugly from where I'm slouching, a means of cementing the status quo in an anti-competitive perpetuity.

Word, yo.

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

[video=youtube_share;70mf-3cnDWY]http://youtu.be/70mf-3cnDWY[/video]

3. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Come on the Hearts, i'm beginning to dislike them a little less than I did previously.

St Mirren and Aberdeen both appear to be in the NO camp, as do Dundee Utd and Celtic. Game over for The Rangers it looks like.

I now expect a real concerted media onslaught to convince everyone that SPL2 is the best idea since some baker decided it would be a brilliant sales tactic to slice his bread before selling it.

4. eric cartman

eric cartman Well-Known Member

Cheers Rebel

Time for Celtic to come out and state publicly how they plan to vote. The silence from clubs is worrying it shouldn't even be up for debate. The point in rules is it applies to everyone. If Livingston were sent to the 3rd for entering liquidation but ultimately avoiding then I don't see how rangers should be any different.

5. eric cartman

Dundee United tonight met with Supporters’ groups to discuss the newco situation prior to the all club vote on the proposal to transfer Rangers share on 4th July.

Following what was a robust and constructive meeting, the Club’s position on how we will vote was substantiated by the viewpoint of the various supporters groups. The meeting finished with all in agreement as to what the correct course of action would be.

The Board of Directors of Dundee United are unequivocal in the belief that a form of sporting punishment must form part of the reasoning behind any decision made and, therefore, cannot vote the newco into the SPL. General sporting integrity and, more importantly, the integrity of Scottish football must also play a significant part in the decision making process. It is our belief that any form of sporting punishment must be unambiguous in the message it displays.

The financial well being of the Club, both in the short and long term, must also be at the forefront of our thoughts. We would encourage our supporters to purchase season ticket books as a show of support to our Club. The Board of Directors will act in the best interest of Dundee United and our supporters and Scottish football on this matter. The financial consequences of not showing this support for our Club are extremely serious.

http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?tm=2&nid=4224

6. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

We had a chat about the share of the pot recently.

At the time Celtic held the cards. They don't any more and I believe this will be cemented on 04th July.

I am going to qualify my use of words before I use them because I cant think of better ones.

Recent history shows that league finances are rigged. The two biggest clubs got the biggest share by virtue of finishing 1st and 2nd every year (the Hearts gatecrashing party was a flash in the pan). That was not necessarily unfair as these were the two clubs that added the most financial "value" to the SPL. I am going to use the word fair to denote a numerically even divide of funds as opposed to an idea of even handedness where clubs get what they deserve.

A fair split is 8.3% each.

I think that is what most people (outside of Celtic) are arguing for.

Hows about this (assuming the league retains the same structure) ?

1=12%
    2-5=8.0%
    6-11=7.6%
    12=10%

Or a similar sort of split. Would that be more equitable?
    The league winners get suitably rewarded, the top 6 finishers get a bigger slice than the rest and the bottom finishers get a bit of a parachute.

I am just shooting the breeze on that. I still don't know if it is right that the biggest draw doesn't get the biggest slice, but the biggest draw will stop drawing if the deck gets loaded in our favour.

Saying that, the present split has a huge incentive for everyone else to aim for the top two spots.

7. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Dundee United have sold fewer season books than Ross county. Their supporters are really making their say known and the board have listened. Motherwell are abdicating responsibility and handing it to the supporters.
    The new club won't be let in but then they'll all come for us over the split and they'll be right to do it.
    Celtic flexing their muscles might spook a few but ultimately winning that fight might be counter productive.

8. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

If the other 11 clubs outwith "The Rangers" can agree to a more equitable split of prize money and maybe even to an extent, TV money, then The Rangers are facing the trapdoor. What Dundee Utd are saying to their fans is "we intend to see The Rangers punished but you have to help us make up any shortfall in cash by buying season books and coming to games". In effect, it is a two way street, "we will give you what you want but you have to do your bit".

9. eric cartman

So far it looks like no's from

Celtic, hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee united and hibs. 5

The other clubs would be as well saying no now to save face.

Edit: Hearing the vote was 97% no, so much for 2/3's, daily record.

10. eric cartman

lol rangers media is good the night. There pretending they didn't want in and that we'll all be bankrupt. Unbelievable arrogance.

11. eric cartman

If an equal split of tv money helps those teams make up for the problems rangers caused then I hope it gets voted in. Mind you, won't it get voted in as rangers are not there to vote alongside celtic anyway?

12. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

We did have a chat about it, yes - and very charming it was, too. Honest to God, we'd make a lovely couple, Rebel.

I hope you're right about Celtic not holding the cards (and this being confirmed on 4th July). In this kind of setting, I'm not sure it's particularly healthy when someone holds the cards and may use them to wield power (or bend others to their will) accordingly. We demand a share of the cards and we demand to be able to hold these cards until we all cancel each other out in a blur of uniformity. <grr>

Ach, ****e. I'll need to get back to the rest later (hopefully tonight - although it will be very, very late - but definitely tomorrow). I need to cook and make pretty round the house before my wife gets back from Cork (around eleven). I had no idea what time it was. How does that happen? Baffling.

(Savouring the forthright clarity of the Dundee Utd statement. It makes me want to buy a season ticket for Tannadeechay.)

13. EspaniaCelt

EspaniaCelt Well-Known Member

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head - Celtic, without Rangers in the SPL, will be outnumbered in the voting so the other clubs will probably be able to bring in any changes the majority of them want. Celtic may, however, be quite content for changes to be made in any case but if not, will have to rely on their powers of persuasion to get the other clubs to compromise. Much wheeling and dealing still to be done!

14. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jim Spence &#8207;@bbcjimspence

On Good Morning Scotland 8.20 am with Liam McLeod To discuss Dundee Utd no to Newco and I'll be able to announce another club voting NO

15. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

I've always tried to leave the bears alone to manage their own board on here without interference, but I will feel as if I'm taking the piss moving them to 'Other Scottish teams' <laugh>

16. rogueleader

rogueleader suave gringo

create a section exclusively for Sevco United - " Other British Teams " <ok>

17. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

Having a wee read now. Some of this stuff is classic.

They've got a thread called "Should we kill Scottish Fitba'"

<laugh>

Rangers are dead ya spastics. Are the zombie bones from the rotting corpse of your beloved Glasgow Rangers going to rise up and kill our game?

These ****s are both clueless and shameless.

18. Magic Laudrup 11

Magic Laudrup 11 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This means I can save £30 quid a month by cancelling sky sports and ESPN.

On a side note, I put a grand on Portugal last night at 7/10. Almost 'done a gambol' up until the 80th minute. Thinking of putting a grand on Germany at -1 tonight at evens. £1700 profit in 2 nights possibly.

19. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

<laugh>

It did look like it wasn't going to be Portugal's night for a good while. Ronaldo should have had 10 goals in this tournament already.

20. harryhood67

harryhood67 Well-Known Member

Leave espn and sky football to the big boys , Scottish football div 3 is best covered page 57 of the Sunday Post .