1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That so called pundit Lawro!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lewebster, Mar 28, 2013.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

How we have progressed! Claridge was the hated pundit until this season. Have to say that Claridge at least know something about football and had reasons for his decisions whether we liked them or not. He was also a good sport when he was the commentator on the JPT (he was right in front of me).

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Do you think Chelsea might not suffer the same interruption to their particular momentum..?

On the Pompey question, Lawro is firmly in the camp that if a club has won the top League at some point in their past that means that they'll have an automatic advantage. Oh, and it helps if he's played for them too, so Liverpool can't be beaten - ever. As for the North/South football divide, I think he's firmly in the Bobby Charlton school of football opinions, which means the first answer you get from him, on the subject of Southern based football is... Where..?

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Didn't he play for Brighton? Not that there is any real rivalry.
    Just think he is a miserable sod...on the radio commentary that dry wit can sometimes be amusing during a poor game but often it's just depressing and he offers little insight into the game. Don't think I have ever found anything he says to be of an interest tactically or even psychologically. He just states the obvious and forms part of the BBC deadwood

4. TheSecondStain

First time I heard Steve Claridge give an opinion on the radio as a pundit I wasn't aware it was him [I tuned in after his name was announced], and I thought... blimey, there's a bloke who really knows what he's talking about..! I haven't changed my mind since and that was quite a few seasons ago.

5. TheSecondStain

Yeah, but Brighton is London-on-Sea, so it doesn't count.

6. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Tired of people giving Lawrenson the attention he clearly craves. So he is bad at predicting our results, why do we have to have a thread about it every single week?

And why is predicting a defeat against Chelsea remotely contentious?

7. GoSaint

GoSaint Active Member

I can't, and wouldn't want to, defend Lawro's logic?? that the same break has the completely opposite effects on Saints and Chelsea, I was just conceeding that there have been some times in the past year or two where we've lost points after a break.

Ultimately I think Lawro made his result prediction and then tried to justify it by what he wrote. Based on the steady improvement ours and Chelsea's teams have shown in each of their last 4 games, in all competitions, it could be a cracker, and whatever Lawro says, it's only the result that matters to me.

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Gary Neville shows him up no end.

9. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

If you read his post he says that he thought we played well against Liverpool and let's be honest he not many people would back us against Chelsea. I would rather hear his insight than Garth Crooks who sounds good but then you think about what he has said and then...

10. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I've been doing the IKTS predictions this year and it is tempting sometimes to put down a win for the team that is the 'biggest' when you are unsure, especially if you are not taking form, injuries etc into account, but to fair that's exactly what Lawro is supposed to be doing and he seems completely incapable of it. Its shocking that the last time he has had us down for any points was against Sunderland - even the most cynical of followers of Saints would have expected us to pick up something by then but I would certainly be more aggrieved if I was a Swansea fan, what is it about them he doesn't rate? Clearly a mid table team and not relegation candidates... I won't even start on QPRs place in his prediction table *grumble*

11. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Since the Football League Show is going, I'm hoping against hope that Claridge will get a spot on MOTD. I also heard a rumour that he takes his kids to St Mary's.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Credit where credit is due, he talks a lot of sense and always gives a good assessment on games on the FLS and when summarising on 5 live.

13. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

Personally I far prefer Claridge's journeyman's take on things rather than the Big Time Charlies.

14. Channon walked on H2O

Channon walked on H2O Active Member

When Claridge was on the Beeb coverage of the Pompey game last year, it was embarrassing how much more he knew about Saints than Alan Shearer who had been bought in as the Saints link. Claridge clearly knows his football and must do a bit of research rather than rely on the "remember-me-I-was-great" style adopted by some. A campaign to get him on MoTD would be a great idea.

15. TheSecondStain

Yep, it was embarrassing. Claridge knew far more than Shearer about what was supposed to be happening down here, and at Pompey for that matter, the form both teams were carrying etc... He even knew far more about the plans Saints had for the future. In contrast, Shearer made an issue about Pompey's equalising goal and Guly's inability to do two defenders jobs at the same time, and the twerp presenter Jake Humphries jumped on that as well. Thoroughly unprofessional from the those two, imo.

16. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

I'll run my next article past you before I post it shall I?

I didn't realise there had been posts about this every week, I do apologise.

Just thought as he says something new before every fixture, that I would comment on it.

I actually said the result he has predicted is fine, where have I indicated it is contentious?

17. Downthe36

Downthe36 Well-Known Member

As much as I think that Lawro is a prized douche, the comments he has made this week aren't exactly unfair.

"Southampton have shown us they can come up with some really good performances and results under Mauricio Pochettino, and they were really impressive against Liverpool last time out."

As he is an ex-Liverpool man I was surprised to see him make the comment above, as opposed to the Liverpool having an off day stuff that you see from the rest of the media. Let's face it, if you were a non-Saints supporting pundit trying to guess the results over the course of the season, would you have Saints down to win?

18. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Of course he is! One of the only non-Saints threads I read on not606 regularly is on Fulham's board, called 'Lawro's weekly bollocks'.
    It might as well be stickied, as is almost up the top of the thread list on the build-up to matchdays.

19. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Just had a look and left a comment, glad we aren't the only club who sees how crap he is, get claridge in and while we are at it, why is Colin Murray being axed?

20. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

I think the word that best describes Claridge is "competent". Leroy Rosenoir, who also does the FLS, is a better pundit though IMO.