1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That penalty and blatant cheating

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by nickyb, Oct 19, 2014.

1. StokieSmit

StokieSmit Member

View attachment 33953

Not sure if this'll work, but hopefully here's the latest oicture from the BBC. No doubting it was a soft penalty, but you can't argue about contact...

2. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Well done Smut,
    Great photo, maybe he is pulling Moses UP with his shirt. <doh>

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Looks like he was trying to stop him from falling !! <laugh>

4. Pottermouth 328

****ing hell you are being serious I take it! <doh>
    Either way its contact, and you know what happened next we won.

5. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Nice one Taff <ale>
    Most people took my original post seriously.

Funny old world innit

6. Taffvalerowdy

No - I'm not being serious, it was a joke! <cheers>

Decisions such as these happen to all of us. Most refs wouldn't have given us the first penalty; after that, it was always on the cards that Oliver would "even things up".

Anyway, all the best for the rest of the season, apart of course when you visit the Liberty! <ok>

7. Pottermouth 328

Likewise <ok>

8. Taffvalerowdy

Cheers!

Anyway, back to the Word Association threads..... <laugh>

9. Pottermouth 328

10. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

He is right to apologise and big of him of him to do so but I am absolutely amazed at the media reaction to the whole incident. It may have been minimal contact and a rather soft decision but the ref awarded the penalty, we scored from it and went on to win the game fairly and squarely. It would appear that Monk is sticking to his guns though and I hope the FA bring him to task over his unnecessary outburst. Had the outcome of the game been different I doubt the hysteria would have happened.

11. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like I said earlier in the thread the penalty should never have been given, but as if the letter of the law the ref was technically right. Except, he couldn't see it from his angle - so that makes him technically wrong!

12. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

Moses cheated in that incident, and Mark Hughes is a hypocrite - he has mouthed off so many times about referees in the past but then has the audacity to patronise Garry Monk! Pulis has come out in support of Monk, and remember he fined a Stoke player last year for diving against us! Garry spoke his mind and if he is punished for it then fair enough - we all know that the FA pretend that they want to crack down on 'simulation' but they are gutless and not fit for purpose! Diving could be stopped tomorrow if players could be cited and given a retrospective ban - dive and you can't play for the next three matches; simple! But unfortunately the FA are just a bunch of big 5 sycophants who couldn't care less for the 'lesser' clubs. If Manure had been on the end of Oliver's decision then they would have sprung into action!

Hope Garry sticks to his guns - if he gets a ban and a fine then so be it! His integrity will be intact whilst that of Stoke and the FA will be worth nothing! Hughes has always been a miserable little sod and I didn't think my opinion of him could get any lower, but it has! He has defended the indefensible - so Rangel grabbed a little bit of Moses' shirt, and that was enough to make a supposed athlete fall over!!!! If that is the case then I think he should give up playing football and get a new hobby - knitting perhaps! ;)

13. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

In your eyes unnecessary perhaps but not for the majority .cheating is cheating end of ,can't argue about who won the second half as you did fairly ,we went into a shell and didn't adjust to Hughes changes .

14. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

Such is life.

The certainty is others draw the occasional blank as well, among them, on the evidence of this week, one Mark Hughes, who was moved to rebuke Garry Monk for daring to take the referee and Victor Moses to task after Sunday's diving controversy at the Britannia Stadium.

Hughes said: "It's a little bit emotional after games, especially when you've lost a game you were winning.

"There's a 20-minute window. Sky cameras want some flesh and sometimes you just have to bite your lip and be careful what you say because you can get yourself into trouble.

"There was no need for that from my point of view. He's disappointed, obviously, but the longer you're in this game, the more experience you get and sometimes you have to curb what you really feel. It's a situation that he needs to learn from."

What is to be said?

In the interest of clarity, we must ask the Stoke City manager: "Are you the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2005, accused referee Steve Bennett of making a 'diabolical decision' and said of El-Hadji Diouf: 'He has a reputation for diving and he has enhanced it tonight'"?

Did you further say: "The referee was in exactly the right position to make the decision but he didn't &#8212; the lad dived. We have lost a point to a very poor refereeing decision. I blame them both, the referee and the player"?

Let's try another one.

"Are you the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2006, accused the then England captain John Terry of deciding to 'collapse his knees' and fall in a heap to win a penalty for Chelsea against Blackburn"?

Did you say later: "Simulation is creeping into the game"?

Still unsure? Well, let's consider a more recent example. Could you be the same Leslie Mark Hughes who, in 2014, suggested England striker Raheem Sterling had gone down easily in the box against Stoke, the referee had 'bought it' and made a 'poor decision'"?

Thought so.

Really, you wonder how Hughes can seriously offer Monk advice given his own past candour in these matters.

Sometimes, speaking out after a questionable decision or action is admirable.

On Sunday, Monk's frustration was borne out of a poor refereeing decision and his reaction was understandable, if likely to land him in trouble, because the football authorities tend to celebrate straight talking as the Noise Abatement Society tend to applaud all-night raves.

He has in the past had issues with Chico Flores, underlining that individual managers can do only so much: simulation will be rooted out only if the game's rulers provide a clear lead and crack down harder on those who tumble too easily.

As for Stoke chairman Peter Coates's supposed intention to complain to the BBC about John Hartson's Match of the Day punditry &#8212; "Hartson was a disgrace. He's a big fan of Swansea and their manager &#8230; and it showed," opined Coates &#8212; if Big John were so inclined he might think of seeking legal recompense for having his professional integrity called so harshly and publicly into question.

But he is bigger than that.

Victor Moses?

The question is how he managed to stay on his feet when he walked to his car yesterday, given all that wind that was about.

15. Pottermouth 328

And MONK is a Saint, ? Hypocrite is what last week's Independent called Gary Monk.
    Chico got Andy Carroll sent off, even big Sam had to LAUGH. Pity you failed to mention that.
    Chico feined an injury, is that not CHEATING. I read the report, but I haven't come onto your board bleating about that.

Pot_ Kettle oh and Monk even played Chico afterwards? But now? He will BAN any player who CHEATS.

Bet that's hit a nerve eh. Now go win your game on Saturday<ok>

16. koskikabow

koskikabow Active Member

Attention Swansea fans , I am sincere in what I say , " you will feel better if you just let it go , and move on " , life is too short to carry the pain for so long.
    If you can't deal with inconsistencies from referees , then stop watching football.
    And the intended inflammatory comments you have made aimed at the Stoke fans , have proved ineffectual for one inescapable fact , Stoke got the three points. So the Stoke fans read your messages and laugh at your discomfort.

17. Taffvalerowdy

Pottermouth, just for clarity, Laudrup was Manager when Chico got Carroll sent off. Chico's actions at time were embarrassing and comments to that effect were made often on the Swansea Not606 Board.

Anyway, I agree with koskikabow, time to move on. Stoke have the 3pts - those points have gone forever. Better to focus on the points at stake against Leicester today! <cheers>

18. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Enough is enough.
    My original post was "tongue in cheek" - sick to death of repeating this.

This will be my last post on this thread

Mods...can you lock it please?

19. Pottermouth 328

Embarrassing or as you call it cheating, I rest my case Ma Lord. Sorry Nicky. Yeah just close it please.

20. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

Haha...couldnt happen to a nicer team today ... my heart pumps purple panther piss for you lot ...