1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ten games in

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

so Ten games and only Eight points
    which players do you feel make the grade ?
    how do you like the formation ?
    what are your thoughts on Askey ?
    if you were manager what formation , players would you pick ?
    what position would you like strengthened in the January window ?

2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

It looks pretty depressing at the moment Zen. We will be over a quarter of the way through the season by a week today and if we still have only one win by then that is simply not good enough. I do not agree with some of the comments on B and A that the current midfield is better than last years ( I would have any of Ogogo, Nolan or Godfrey back like a shot) but I think in terms all of the individual players we have now it is certainly a marked improvement on those we had two seasons ago when we were last struggling in this league. Askey can be excused the first few games when he had the squad disrupted but surely we should be up to speed by now.
    A common theme to our performances (bar our only win against Southend) is poor game management. The games seem to suddenly turn when the opposition makes a switch in personnel or tactics. We saw that again today after we equalised - Gillingham suddenly came into the game after being totally outplayed for an hour. Askey hailed Angol as the complete centre-forward two weeks ago and then proceeds to play him on the left wing for most of the game - that was an absolute howler by the manager. Despite this Angol was still our best player by some distance. Holloway still does not look fit so god help us if Angol gets injured. Askey has also brought in Waterfall and Kennedy and neither have the pace for this league. The midfield is generally OK apart from when we are trying to protect a lead and the Keystone Cops defending at the end today when we were caught without cover for the full-back, gave the ball away and did not pick up Eaves was simply terrible and very deflating for us all.
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Askey and his coaches do not have what it takes to take this club forward (or even to keep us in this league). I will travel to Walsall in hope rather than expectation as our team is badly lacking in organisation and confidence and might take a heavy defeat when we come up against some of the better teams. I am fed up of talking about games being massive but the Meadow crowd have been very patient and that could well turn if we fail to beat Accrington next week.

3. Zenfootball2

there was a lot of critical muttering around block 15 today and not surprisingly boos at half time( i dont like fans booing there own team).
    the first half was dismal and players looked confused and disorganised. we play four teams in the top eight in october we also play fleetwood 11th and oxford 23rd ,we also play tranmere in the tin pot trophy with a manger who has a point to prove.

4. Zenfootball2

it is easier to answer who dont ; for me waterfall is a liability and Lewis is a second division or lower league player
    i would like us to go 3/5/2 with Okenabirhie on the left wing and angol and Holloway up front.
    Laurent and Docherty each bring something different to midfield but if we are struggling i would bring on Laurent as he breaks up play as well as giving us attacking options

i would like him to succeed in his previous club he showed he can inspire a team to play well, whatever he is trying at the moment it is not working consistently , we do have some quality players and certainly better than in previous teams ,so what is not working and why ?

another forward so we never need to play lewis

5. greenhousmeadowman

I dont think this side is currently good enough at the less glamorous parts of the game such as shutting down the opposition and seeing a game out. Hursts side last year was excellent in those areas. The other thing lacking is quality upfront and the club did little to address this (except for bringing Angol in ) before the window closed. Surely Angol should move back to the middle and we should give Okanabirie a few games to see if he can fill that wide left role - another option away might be to play Haynes in front of Beckles on the left of midfield as he seems happier going forward.
    We have thrown away so many points against some weaker sides that I fear for us playing against the better sides though we did perform well at Portsmouth and Doncaster.

6. Zenfootball2

i agree that some of the players are not doing the basics consistently the second goal we conceded was an example of that

7. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Waterfall isn't the strongest player in his poposition.
    Emmanuel doesn't get forward as much as Bolton but looks strong in defense.
    Beckles needs to tune his agricultural left foot when moving the ball up field.
    Whalley is in League One because of inconsistency but needs to practice dead baballs towards goal.
    Angol should have been up front from the start of the game, possibly alongside Holloway or by himself.
    What's Okenabirhie done wrong?

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  8. Zenfootball2

why is Okenabirhie not playing is the $64 million question , the longer he does not play the less sense it makes , he scored twice in the pre season , he was played in a central role for the city game and looked out of position, he scored in a reserve game against burton and came close to scoring a second he seems to have a good rapport with holloway who also played and the match report was very positive about there contributions ,askey has asked town to be more clinical but does not play a winger who knows were the goal is so it makes no sense.

Playing Angol on the left has the same result as playing payne there
    personal i wish they would let some of the other players take free kicks some of the time.
    i think you are been very kind Master when you say " Waterfall isn't the strongest player in his poposition." personally i think he is a liability he gets turned far to easily and due to no pace he then fouls the player he gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous areas plus most of the penalties have come from him. worse still we have him on a three year contract both Waterfall and beckles should train with eggs up there armpits and have to do five press ups every time they drop them , saddler has much more nous as a defender and manages to do his job most of the time without looking like a wrestling wannabe .
    considering the poor service he gets Angol has done incredibly well
    unless askey can get this team playing to there full potential consistently October could be a long month

Matster likes this.
  9. Matster

Forum Moderator

Did hear rumour a while ago that a new player has some issues with drink and possibly gambling. Perhaps that's why someone isn't playing.

Also what happened to Kennedy, Haynes and Hendrie?

10. Zenfootball2

i heard the same rumour and if true far from ideal but with the season we are having, if that player can score and get us some points just play him

11. Zenfootball2

tonight game shambolic defending , town opened up with alarming ease. players playing out of position and the keeper had a mixed night.
    starting to feel askey is out of his depth , tactically and still does not know were to play his players

12. Matster

Forum Moderator

Yet at the other end a decent amount of shots but only a few on goal. Whalley seemed to be a big threat again.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  13. Zenfootball2

yes he was norburn , whalley and Angol had shots on target

14. greenhousmeadowman

I thought the lads battled hard last night and were value for a point despite Walsall having the more clear-cut chances. Both fullbacks were under real pressure from quick wingers but the centre of defence held firm with Waterfall having his best match for us. Grant played really well, Norburn looked stronger but MOTM for me was Amadi-Holloway who battled really well and looked like he had broken free of their defence a few times without having the ball fall kindly for him. Askey deserves some credit for motivating the lads after Saturday's disappointment but only he knows why he played his best winger in the middle and his best striker on the wing - lets hope common sense will prevail on Saturday against Accrington. I feel a bit more positive about our prospects of survival after that gritty display. I think the coaching team are still on a learning curve and are leaning towards a more direct style of play. That is OK with me if it is played well with good delivery to the forwards but we need our best players to be playing in their best positions and then we can start to move up the table.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  15. Zenfootball2