1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 18, 2019.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a good idea ot have a thread for such issues.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  2. yorkshirehornet

Question:
    I cant , this week, access Not606 on either of my mobiles using my username and password. However still works fine on my PC

I unistalled the app and reinstalled.... but it wont let me in.. .says i dont have permission to perform that task

any ideas??
    :huh:

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I haven't the slightest idea as it has just taken me a couple of hours to put a new sim card in a phone I wanted to use, and get connected to the airways again. I can ask for you as problems like this do seem to crop up from time to time.

4. brb

brb CR250

It's not worked since the hack. I can only assume @Micko has done something - not the first report i have had. I don't use the app so can't tell.

5. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Good idea.

6. yorkshirehornet

Thanks guys.... I didnt realise it had been hacked...... any updates welcomed

7. yorkshirehornet

I can get in via the browser OK. So bypassing the app for the time being is a good option...
    Thanks to Toby who also advised me by a pm. Crazy that he has been banned for posting on our threads...

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

I always post via the browser. As for Toby PMing you to say he was banned, the ban was from the home page of the Prem board, sadly that affects his ability to post on the Watford board, but as GC where he is a regular poster does not come under that domain he is not affected there.

But yet again I will reach out the olive branch and lift the restriction, I doubt it will last long knowing Toby, but at least I've acknowledged your comment by a goodwill gesture on my part.

Deleted....... likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

Ban lifted <ok>

Deleted....... likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Cheers brb. As you say others have been having troubles gaining access to the site via mobile app, do you have any idea if the great and mighty one is going to fix the problem?

brb likes this.

11. brb

brb CR250

I'm not sure is the answer to your question fella. I did report an instance from another user to him, but I'm assuming it is something he has done to disable the app, but that is just an assumption. Some of the stuff that came back to me via PM from users not the mighty one, suggested that is where the weakness was. I suppose Eddie (GC) who has put his hands up to the hack would know more about this than me. I've seen it often mentioned that there is a GC Whatsapp group which Toby I believe is engaged in, possibly Eddie too, so maybe Toby knows something about accounts being hacked in more detail than me. I asked recently where Tina has disappeared to, a regular on GC. It appears she was doxxed via twitter and facebook and since disappeared. This is the sort of stuff I have to deal with to stop people getting into your accounts, even if 'just for fun' - but somewhere along the line it will be my fault as usual. I actually got the blame for making it worse because i spoilt their fun, because I banned a couple of accounts reported to me by board mods that had been hacked. I'm not sure what is expected from me, oh that's ok guise, you just have free access to people's accounts and post them to GC and I'll just sit back and turn a blind eye. But as I say the excuses will follow and it will be all my fault as per usual. I actually had to shut the site down in the end to stop the hacker accessing multiple accounts and for Mick to patch the problem.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

You are in areas now that I, and I feel pretty sure that none of the regulars here are into. I had my first look this week at GC, and only saw one the name that comes here. As we have seen earlier most people didn't even know what hacking was going on, and I reckon they would have given a vote of thanks if they had been aware of the efforts you made to stop the whole thing going down.

yorkshirehornet and brb like this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

Thanks. I was having private conversations with all the mods from affected boards. Mainly, Southampton, Hull City and Newcastle. I did also keep in touch with Watford mod(s), but no accounts on here were hacked but you might all have lost the App as a consequence. I have been asked two questions throughout;

Why not just ban the hacker, basically you can't, it's a hacker. As for Eddie I don't see the point in banning him, he could quite easily come back under another username, and the problem as far as my acknowledge allows has been fixed.

The second question was publically announcing password changes, the problem with that is that at all times I knew where the hacker was accessing so able to shut him down, if people had all started password changing, it would have helped the hacker to hide in the flurry of changes. Bearing in mind, initially I didn't know how it was being done or where the weakness was in the site.

Also everything i post on the open forum gets back to GC, that only aids the hacker.

However, people should always use strong passwords.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  14. yorkshirehornet

Appreciated... We are a small bunch on here and we welcome Toby back...

brb likes this.
  15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Passwords can be fun when you forget them. I was setting up a different phone this morning with a new sim card as the one in the existing phone was too large. When I was asked for my password I thought I knew it, but had I changed it, and I wasn't sure. So having put in what I thought was right and having been told it was incorrect I had to find the paperwork that came with the original phone in 2015. Found it with the original password which was correct, but then it told me that I would have to change it as it wasn't strong enough. Must be a minimum of eight characters, a mix of capitals and lower case letters and two numerals. The change to my password has been confirmed, so hopefully I will remember it next time it is needed.

16. yorkshirehornet

Passwords are a nightmare eh.. As they get more complex you have to add a capital, numeral or a version of #£_@* to each one. I have about ten versions of one password. I dread being locked out!
    An avg update hid all my saved passwords on Firefox last week.. But thankfully Firefox twigged it and created a patch which I was able to use...

Anyone got any views on master passwords or password creators?

17. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Anyone had any experience of password safes software, I keep thinking I should use one. Lastpass comes to mind. I always say no when google asks to save my password.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I allow Google to save some but not all of my passwords. Anything that could give access to my banking, is a no, no. A forum such as this does not create a problem to my mind, but no doubt someone will say that I am wrong.

19. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

This site is at least identified as safe by Microsoft whereas some of the other WFC forums aren't!

20. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Hi Yorkie.

I wouldn't recommend any password managers, as there are 2 associated risks:

1. The master password gets stolen, someone will then have a list of all the sites you access + the passwords for them

2. You may forget the password to it...

I use different levels of password complexity depending on the site, but by complexity never see it as more 1s or !s, just the length of a password.

Example:

To brute force guess someone's password, a program will be used to test a list of passwords derived from the most commonly used passwords. The program will try them in sequence, hoping that one would match. They don't guess a section of your password, they need the full one to match it.

My usual trick is to go for a long sentence, like 'mynameisYorkieandi'mawatfordfan' would take a password cracker 1 Decillion years to crack it. Reckon that should be safe enough :smile: The wifi password I set at work would apprently take 220 Undecillion years to crack :smile:

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

The main threats are malware on your device that act as keyloggers, thus recording every key you press, poor website design/security where the passwords aren't protected properly, sites getting hacked and not storing the users' passwords securely (thus giving hackers an email/password combo to try) (also which is why it's not recommended to use the same password for your Amazon account and online banking for example) or Man in the Middle attacks, where someone will fake a Wifi network and record all data coming through it.

To be honest most serious websites are secure from hackers nowadays, it's the malware/MITM attacks you need to watch out for.

Hope that rant makes sense!