1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Reading

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Gaffer confirmed in his press conference that Marcus Bettinelli is still out. However, Kevin McDonald is available.

After highlighting the Norwich injury woes last weekend it's probably best not to dwell on Reading having similar if not worse problems. Anyway we know how Reading will play regardless of their team line-up - hard, defensive and every little trick to disrupt our play, including time wasting.

For us, McDonald is key to what makes the team tick and let's hope he is okay. Have to say, have worries floating in the back of my mind about his situation however. Otherwise it will be interesting to see what "solution to meet their aggressive play" Jokanovic comes up with. Will he risk young Ryan Sessegnon at full back? Will he change the format of last year to bolster the midfield; playing all three of Johansen, Cairney and Norwood ? Will he venture into the unknown of Kamara up front rather than the tried and tested?

Lots of questions this week then. The answers I suspect will be a no, no and yes -

...........................Button...............
    ....Fredericks..Kallas..Ream...Odoi..
    ........................McDonald......
    .............Johansen.........Cairney....
    .....Aluko..........Kamara........Ayite...

Allowing him to bring on Sessegnon, Piazon and/or Kebano if we need to change the offensive line up.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Agreed C58, but I did think Norwood grew into the role somewhat at the weekend. I'd still rather have McDonald, but I think Norwood could stop us from completely floundering when K-Mac is injured.

I am really not convinced by Cisse yet, but I am hoping he's just a rough diamond (like Kamara!).

Cottager58 likes this.
  3. Cottager58

The man up today is Simon Hooper.

upload_2017-8-12_9-40-44.jpeg

Hooper, an IT service manager, is used to overcoming set-backs. At 16, as a promising centre-forward he was released by Swindon Town after seven years at the club. He turned to refereeing while also playing semi-professionally then in 2006 broke his left leg playing five-a-side; an injury which went wrongly diagnosed for three weeks - it was initially dismissed as a calf strain. That put paid to that season as the man in charge.

The wee man is a solid, straightforward character on the field. He doesn't take any nonsense but neither is he flamboyant. Last season in 30 games he handed out 108 yellows and 2 reds.

We saw him right at the start, in the Newcastle game when of course Matt Smith got our winning goal right on half time. Four got booked that night; 3 of theirs and Denis Odoi. It's only been one match after that, the 3-1 home win over Preston. Sone Aluko, Martin and Neeskens Kebano getting our goals while 2 of theirs saw yellow.

4. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Interesting line up. No Cairney, Aluko is captain. Let's see what happens. COYW

5. Cottager58

Tom had a late fitness test and was on the bench. But after 5 minutes of warm up he had a word with the medical lot and went back to the dressing room. Tayo Edun has replaced him on the bench.

Great to see MacD back - gives us much needed leadership.

6. Cottager58

Boy did I get everything wrong, except 'Reading play like Reading play' - cynical. Even against 10 men for 95 minutes they couldn't resist. Worse of all was my build up of wee Hooper, who by all accounts was woeful, horrible and stronger expletives.

But what guts and determination by the lads. And what a brilliant, composed equaliser -

2whitestripes likes this.
  7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I just got back - terrific team performance today, very disciplined great leadership from McDonald and great result all things considered.

It started off as bad as it can get with the red card for Kalas. Unfortunately it was a red, he grabbed the Reading players legs as he went through,I don't think you can argue against it. I thought then it was going to be a miserable game thereafter but we were so disciplined and defended so well. It was all about getting to half time with a clean sheet then seeing what we could do in the second. Paizon's equaliser was well taken, that was a pressure situation.

Players were dead on their feet at the end. It was a well earned point.

Great support today. Supporters kept behind the team. Very proud of the team today.

Only other point I'd make is Sessegnon needs some help at the back there. Johannson eventually came to back him up but he is being targeted.

Doriley and Cottager58 like this.
  9. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Just watched the 90 mins again. Funny how you see the game differently when you know what happens. On the red card there has been much dispute on whether it should have been red or yellow and I haven't seen any replays with an angle that shows Kalas grab the Reading players leg to take him down. He certainly did and had he not done so it might have been a yellow. I've not heard anyone else mention this ankle grab. I couldn't have been the only one who saw it (apart from the Ref !)

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Cottager58

The Gaffer provides the only logical reason for it being a red card:

"I'm not going to blame the referee, it's not the first time strange decisions happened in this stadium"