1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Floyd Ayite now joins Cairney and Piazon on the injured list. While Rafa Soares starts his recovery plan with some game time for the U23s tonight.

Forest started the season really well but are beginning to show signs of frailty. Nonetheless Warburton is likely to stick to his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation, although he might bring our old nemesis, Zac Clough, back into the side.

This is the first of 2 away games in a run of 3 games in 6 days. Jokanovic needs to acknowledge this and, taking up SuperBri's point in the other thread, not only recognise the strengths and weaknesses of his own players but also those of the opposition. Ojo, for example, clearly has attributes but he lacks discipline and doesn't work hard enough off the ball. On the other side of the field Sessegnon gets little help from Kebano and arguably, Norwood.

As well as that Plan A, B or whichever quote from Jokanovic, he also said bringing on Kamara was a risk. Probably correct but equally probable was that it coincided with him taking off midfielders. One good outcome was it gave us more offensive options - longer balls into the channel(s) that Kamara ran, as well as usual short passing stuff. Reckon that's the way to go for this game -

............................Button...............
    ..Fredericks.....Kalas..Ream....Odoi...
    .........................McDonald......
    .......Mollo...........Johansen.....Sessegnon...
    .......................Fonte...
    ............................Kamara...........

But he won't do that. Formation wise it's likely a change too far for the Gaffer.

Super Brian McBride likes this.
  2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the team I would pick C58, with the possible exception of Kebano for Mollo. You're probably right though that we'll be unchanged (aside from Kebano in for the injured Ayite).

Our style works if we have the best player in the league (Cairney) but in his absence, we have to be slightly more flexible. I know Kamara needs to improve his finishing, but his physicality and directness add a dimension to our play that is sorely lacking. I am also not convinced we get the best out of Johansen by asking him to (in effect) play the Cairney role. Hopefully Fonte can provide that link behind Kamara, which looked to be developing on Saturday.

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think that's a good lineup C58 but as you say I think Jokanovic will stay with tried and tested players for Plan A, unless his quote of sticking to his plan is a bluff for this game. So can't see Odoi, Kamara or Mollo getting the call, more likely Kebano, Ojo, & Norwood. Is this the game where we can take our chances and be 2 or 3 up by half time ?
    If I look at the Forest team I can't really see too many players I'd swap for ours. McKay and Murphy are probably their dangerous players, but I think Warburton is a cunning manager and will look to defence first and hit us on the break and will be happy with a close game to nick it near the end with a late goal.

4. Cottager58

The ref tonight is Scott Duncan.

please log in to view this image

The Geordie whistler upset the Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo last weekend in their game against Cardiff, claiming that Duncan was 'very naive at times in terms of the way they were time-wasting, different little things.' But that wasn't what upset Nuno most. He was critical of Duncan's failure to halt Cardiff's physical side of the game, saying 'if the referee allows these situations to happen without punishing them, then teams are going to continue to do that.'

Different man, different place but doesn't that ring bells!

As it happens the last we had Duncan was the 2-2 draw away to Cardiff back in February. He booked 3, Piazon for us. The only other time we saw him last season was the 1-0 win away to Blackburn in August, when Tom Cairney got the winner in the 94th minute.

It hasn't just been the Wolves game that Scott has hit the spot this season. In his 8 League games, he's on 24 yellows and 2 reds.

5. Cottager58

No Gentleman Jim, so to make up for that - "didn't he do well !"

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Cravingawin and 2whitestripes like this.
  6. Cottager58

Still silence from GJ, so here you go -

PS Notice how I haven't posted Forest's equaliser ? Trust me you won't want to see it ... absolutely shocking defending.

7. Cottager58

And no sooner done, than Forest are well done .... 3-1

8. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

9. Super Brian McBride

I said after the Burton game may be we should let the opposition have more of the ball and we might win :emoticon-0140-rofl: Forest 53% Fulham 46%
    Great Free kick & a nicely worked 3rd goal, but Kamara look just offside as he gathered the ball for his goal. Free Header for the Forest equaliser.
    The 3 points will do nicely, as Forest pushed us all the way.

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Great Result. Seems we didn't play as well as we can and managed to catch hem on the break.

Little frustrated that I could not log into listen to Gentleman Jim tonight. I don't know if there was any other commentary but relied on text commentary which really is not the same. So pleased though. :emoticon-0116-evilg

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm the formation? From the line up it looked like we may well have gone for Cottager's suggested team, but with Ojo starting ahead of Mollo. Is that right?

12. Cottager58

Believe he did pretty much start that way, Captain. However, he changed things at half time by taking Odoi off (for Norwood). In his own words, “in the second half we tried to take a few more risks and try and push forward and press them a little bit harder". Bit of guesswork, not being there or having the benefit of GJ's wisdom, but he seems to have then gone -

..........................Button.........
    ..............Fredericks..Kalas...Ream...
    ..................McDonald..Norwood..
    ..Ojo(Kebano)..Johnsen...Fonte(Mollo)...Sessegnon...
    ...............................Kamara....

Captain Morgan likes this.
  13. Super Brian McBride

Lots of praise for Karmara at the moment as he had a good game yet. They only thing I'd say is we have to wait a bit for more games, the opposition managers will get a idea of how to stop him the more games he plays. But lets hope he's one of those players who is just a natural at scoring.

14. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

a lovely smash and grab 3 pointer for once.

15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cottager.

16. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

That is a fair argument. What I would say is the praise for Kamara is not so much that he is the next coming of Saha but that he brings a different style to our game. Plan A is still the Cairney/Fonte/Kebano team based on quick passing and cutting through balls. However Kamara (along with Ojo) bring a Plan B, a physical style of play that give us another option when an opponent put 11 players behind the ball.

Kamara shows promise but is a very raw talent.