1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team V Man U

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Feb 1, 2019.

1. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

I agree. I didn't think Maddison did a lot throughout the game.

Also, if you take off Mendy for Ghezzal, then the team becomes completely unbalanced.

2. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

When your losing and not creating chances the balance of the team goes out the window. We should have pushed them earlier and had we got the equaliser he could have brought Choudhury to get the balance back

3. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

You say "I am trying to remember what Maddison did the entire game for him to deserve to stay on". I am trying to remember what Okazaki has done recently that makes Puel think he would be a better option.

Proud Fox likes this.
  4. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Mind boggling subs to be fair, to take off someone like Maddison when you need to be creative is like subbing off De Gea when you need to hold a lead.

No joke, this was our formation for 12 minutes when Ghezzal came on

Schmeichel
    Ricardo Evans Maguire Chilwell
    Ndidi Mendy
    Ghezzal -----------------------------
    Gray ------------------- Barnes
    Vardy​

Gray had obviously been told to play behind Vardy, but he naturally drifts out wide, don't think he had a good game at all, not making himself available for Ricardo on the wing which in turn lead to their goal, Ricardo and Ghezzal had more interaction in half the time on that wing.

I don't see why we need 3 wingers (if you count Barnes as one) and 2 attacking fullbacks when theres only Vardy in the box.

Man U played us just like Southampton, get a goal ahead and defend it. You can see how this strategy frustrates the fans, but Puel has not found an answer for it yet. The obvious answer is to not concede early, but we don't seem to start playing until we're a goal down.

Saying all that, at least we did create some chances, Maddison and Ricardos shots in the first half, Vardys volley on the turn, if any of them were a fraction left or right of De Gea, they might have been a goal but at least they were on target. Ghezzels free kick and the miskick by Evans were also some good chances, another day we would have possibly scored once or twice.

Ghezzel had a good game when he came on, solid performance from almost everyone really, just the regular frustration from lack of vision going forward.

Not sure why we didn't take off one of Mendy or Ndidi sooner, as Magure was tidying up everything at the back, he won't be here after next summer imo, our best player by a mile.

We've got a run of 9 tricky fixtures after spurs and before Arsenal, hopefully we can get to 40 points this season.

5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

My take

Overall not a bad performance ... not been may times in my close to 50 years watching that we've had a Manchester United side defending for their lives ..

The substitutions were baffling .... Gray had been the most ineffective to that point and should have been hooked for Ghezzal - Ghezzal did really well when he came on and his free kick was exceptional and made de Gea pull of a fabulous, match-winning save - to put in into perspective, if a United player had hit that freekick withe the same pace and accuracy into the top corner it would have beaten Kasper (as they usually do) ...

Mendy - thought he put in a great energetic performance but his control let him down at times - now he was walking a tightrope to a second yellow and should have been hooked for Choudhry

Maddison - our most creative player - should have stayed on

Barnes and Chilwell caused United no end of problems down the left side - very encouraging

Ricardo - at fault for the goal and it seemed to shake his confidence -but easy to forgive him that one because he has been our outstanding player for many weeks ..

On another day Vardy and Slabhead probably get a goal ... Jonny 'Airshot' Evans on the other hand ..<doh>

6. Proud Fox

When you need a goal you dont take your creative players off. No matter how bad they are playing. Its that simple

7. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Not quite as Gray was on the left most of the time as he is a natural left winger and Barnes drifted in the middle until Okazaki came on and he stuck to the left and played his best.

Shock horror that putting a natural right winger balanced the team but one thing I agreed with was taking one of Barnes and Maddison off for him as they are really too similar - both got in each others way and need to learn fast how to play with each other.

8. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I would disagree there - what incentive is there for players to perform if they know that they would always play otherwise?

Happened to us last season when we suffered with Mahrez as a passenger when someone less creative like Albrighton was on the bench - wouldn't turn games by himself but but would give more of a **** and give Mahrez more incentive to keep his place.

9. Proud Fox

Maddison is capable of making things happen. Having 2 holding midfielders who cant create should be the first players taken off when your losing

10. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

If only things were as simple as that mate - could having 2 holding midfielders be the reason Man Utd didn't score more? Also was them winning the ball the reason we got more chances?

Having 2 them there meant that Maguire had no fear to come up the pitch which he did with some effect.

12. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

They were in different positions to be fair - Gray was covering for Ricardo when he was right winger and then only played in the left/middle for 10 min before he came off himself which isn't enough time to create any more heat.

13. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Not creating chances? We created more than enough, including 3 in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half.

LeicesterWizard likes this.
  14. Proud Fox

Maddison is to us what Eriksen is to Tottenham. Regardless of how he was playint which IMO was miles better then Gray

You dont sub him off

15. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

You sub off anyone that plays bad irregardless of who they are.

If you start giving players free passes then what incentive is for them to perform and anyone else to try to improve - I am going to use Mahrez last season as an example again.

In this case Maddison wasn't playing really badly but this was tactical as I mentioned above - we needed to take off one of him or Barnes irregardless of any other players as neither can play together yet to each other's detriment.

Maddison was the one chosen to go off - maybe the reverse would have been better but as I mentioned above Maddison didn't really do anything while Barnes did and he did play much better.

Gray did nothing and he came off as well later - maybe sooner would have been better but hindsight is what it is.

16. Proud Fox

I think Puel winger rotations cost us alot. Albrighton and Gray cant play down the middle. They are best suited down the wing. Albrighton getting crosses in and Gray taking people on

When they come inside they dont offer much and just congest the middle for people like Maddison and Barnes

17. Proud Fox

Just 1 other point I want to make from the weekend was about Schmeichel

Atm his kicking is causing us no end of problems as he keeps giving the ball away in bad areas. Obviously as a goalkeeper he is physcially fine but mentally he must be exhausted. Its been a very difficult few months for him especially from what he seen on that night is well documented

We all know Kasper is his own biggest critic but the fans jump on him for any bad kicks and its just adding to the toxic atmosphere that is already there

For the first time while Kasper has been at the club we have a decent back up option. I just think now might be a good time to allow Kasper to have a break for a few weeks and give Danny Ward a run. Let Kasper go on holiday for a week or 2 and promote Jakupovic to the bench

I think a few weeks away from football and Leicester could do Kasper the world of good

18. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I agree completely - while it would be nice to have a rotating attacking midfield, we might need to accept that Gray is best on the left and while Albrighton is more flexible he is a winger.

19. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Hopefully Kasper has been seeing a psychiatrist - he does seem mentally shot.

Is Ward ready to replace him though - didn't cover himself in glory vs Newport.

20. Proud Fox

Cant blame Ward for Morgan losing a header and Albrighton putting his arm in the air

Ward has looked more then good enough when he has played in the Carabao cup

Just think Kasper needs a break