1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Chambers of course is not eligible. The Gaffer also confirmed at today's press conference that Fosu-Mensah and Bryan are out. Kind of as a throw away in the middle of his Q&A he said Cairney may, or may not, be available. It appears that Mawson and Kebano are available to play.

So far as the Arsenal go, it's a pity Petr Čech won't be playing since his attempts to 'play the ball out from the back' have been reminiscent of a certain David Button.

They're in Azerbaijan playing Qarabag tonight and manager Emery seems to be taking the Europa competition seriously so he's likely to field a strong side. However, three key players have stayed in London - Mkhitaryan (for 'political' reasons), Ramsey (his wife is expecting twins) and Aubameyang (hasn't been feeling well) - and we can expect all of them to be 'fresh' for Sunday. A lot will depend on which Mesut Ozil turns up for our game. A real threat though is Hector Bellerin bombing down the wing and getting those crosses in - suspect he'll be rested for tonight's Qarabag match.

For us, it will be all change at the back - again! This time pretty much enforced however and the only question is whether there's a place - somewhere - for Le Marchand. Say that because, while Mawson has been training this week, believe it would be a mistake to rush him back - which seemed to have happened first time round. Similarly, can't see Kebano being ready yet.

Other than that selection is likely to rest on whether Cairney has a positive next couple of days in training. With fingers crossed -

........................Bettinelli............
    ...Christie....Odoi......Ream...Sessegnon..
    .........................Anguissa..
    ...............Cairney...........Seri....
    ........Vietto.........Mitrovic......Schurrle..

2whitestripes likes this.
  2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

This is a match where the players that have come in have to step up and show they are Premier Class. Most were bought for big reputations, Champions League level players on large transfers and wages. We also need Bettinelli to show the reason why he can be an International starter.
    The worry is the unsettled back four again and which drama queen of a Ref we will get, let's hope he is a Tottenham supporter.

3. Cottager58

'Fraid not. It's Paul Tierney, a Wigan supporter.

please log in to view this image

The Lancashire Whistler is fairly new to the Premiership and bedding in as it were. He's only had 4 games so far this season - dishing out 14 yellows - together with a couple as 4th Official.

We saw him twice last year. The 1-0 win over Millwall at the Cottage in November when Ollie Norwood scored with a penalty into first half extra time. And back in August when we beat Ipswich 2-0 at their place. In both matches guess you could sum up Tierney's performance as "pretty quiet".

Nothing more to say about the man, which in itself says something. Fingers crossed it's still that way after Sunday.

4. Cottager58

Very decent game of football first half, which thought we edged and definitely deserved to be level at the break. Although, would have liked to see more of Anguissa and Seri. Interesting also to see Bettinelli kicking long every time, rather than the usual play short at the back.

Then came the sucker punch only 4 minutes into the second..... and you could sense what was coming. While realising that Ream was struggling with that trapped nerve in his back, the initial sub didn't help.

PS Christie had an absolute stinker!!

5. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

We well deserved to be level at half time and I was quietly thinking a 2-2 draw as the final result. The early second half goal and the Ream subbing had a real impact on the game. I agree on Christie, he had a terrible game and was a real weak link. Unfortunately that position is key to our play.

Good to hear no booing at the end. We are all really disappointed, It wasn't a 5-1, more a 3-1. Thankfully the break will perhaps help us and allow us to reorganise and work on that defence. It wasn't awful today but the result makes it look so.

2whitestripes likes this.
  6. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

We looked absolutely lost in that second half. The players didn't seem to know what formation we were playing, with Christie still seeming to play RWB after we switched to 4 at the back and Schurrle, Vietto and Kamara running all over the place. Anguissa went from the sublime to the ridiculous every 5 seconds and there seemed lack of leadership once Ream went off.

I felt that we needed to take Christie off at half time for Mawson and move Odoi to right back. Arsenal doubled up down our left so many times in the first half and Christie just doesn't seem to have the desire. Instead when the change came it was Ream for Kamara, which I felt should have either for Mawson or Johansen.

All in all, I think we got our tactics wrong in the second half and were overwhelmed. Two weeks to get back on track before the crucial game in Cardiff.

7. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Correct on Christie, since he was playing forward the amount of times he took an extra touch instead of crossing was frustrating especially as Mitrovic & the others were making the runs. Odoi for me was the only defensive player to play well. Le Marchand doesn't seem to be a defender able to react or see situations developing. He seems slow. Arsenal were very effective in their attacks. I agree try Odio at rightback.
    As I said we needed for the likes Seri & Angussia to show us their class, but Angussia didn't have it and Seri doesn't take the responsibility of attacking defences head on, always passing instead of going past players and creating panic.
    It's not the first time that Jokanovic has got the second half tactics and subs wrong. The 5-1 flattered Arsenal, but they were clinical against our leaky defence.

8. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Naturally disappointed, on the one hand the scoreline seems deserved, on the other i do think it could have gone either way but for our wastefulness in front of goal and Arsenal's lethal attack. On the whole i thought we played quite well - aside from Seri having a nightmare performance, which included the worst corner I've seen at the Cottage, and Christie threatening to do nothing whilst doing nothing to defend the threat.

I'm loathe to criticise Slavisa and have no doubt he will take us into a run of good form, the starting line up wasn't what i would have gone for, it showed ambition but also lacked in leaders. I like the look of Anguissa, but I'd prefer to see Mcdonald in a midfield with two summer signings to give some stability. I guess Ream was tired or injured, at the time i thought it was a brave tactical move and who knows what way it would've gone if we'd kept with the starting 11 longer

At the end i wasn't that impressed with Arsenal, but on reflection they were good in defense, set up well to counter attack, and clinical with their chances. Torreira looked especially good, along with the young French midfielder who came on late. There is still some way to go before we find a regular 11 but I find it difficult to be too upset with today, the manager took some risks which didn't pay off but that approach will serve us well later I'm sure.

2whitestripes and Cottager58 like this.
  9. Cottager58

The "lack of leaders" was rather significant as silky says. Wasn't all bad though -