1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tate's Testimonial???

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swans-cartoonhead, May 21, 2014.

1. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

Back in the summer of 2013 Tatey was to have a testimonial, rumoured to be against a Manchester United 11 - it was postponed because Manure was our first game the following season; then Laudrup stepped in and tried to get rid of Beaker - cue Jinx saying that Laudrup would be got rid of before Tatey (could have been the start of the animosity between the two), then he's shipped off to Aberdeen on loan!

My question is does Tatey get his testimonial? He'll never play for us again but he is a Jack through and through and deserves a final day in the sun in a match where the Swansea faithful can pay tribute to a great servant of the club and show their appreciation!

I pose this question because I don't want him to be sidelined in the Bertie Big Bollox 'we are Premier League' circus! Beaker has been with us through good and bad and has been a great servant to SCFC! Surely he has earnt the right to a testimonial so us paying fans can thank him for all he has done for the club!

Discuss! ;)

2. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

I hope he gets his testimonial. Very unfortunate that the lottery that is the fixture list ended his hopes of a testimonial last year. I would go out of my way to attend it. He's been the butt of many jokes and the target of much criticism over the years, but he's never given less than 100%, never complained, played out of position, and has stuck by us from the dark days to the good. A true leader who truly loves the club. I would love to have a final opportunity to clap him onto and off the pitch in a Swans shirt.

3. swans-cartoonhead

4. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Something else to kick Laudrup over? Oh Dear.

I posted many times on this in the past and eventually gave up because I was getting stick about supporting a 'has been' who had 'milked the club for a good wage' etc, etc.

Personally, I'd crawl on my stomach from the Vetch to the Liberty and then pay my entrance fee to see a testimonial for Alan Tate. Truly, and in every sense , a JACK HERO.
    That the club hasn't organised a testimonial and given long established fans an opportunity to thank him for his outstanding contribution to the success of Swansea City is an outright disgrace.
    He played in almost every position on the field, he played out of position and with aplomb in the Championship and Premier League, he was given no hope of stepping up to the next level at every promotion and then did, his assist at Wembley were instrumental in gaining promotion to the Premier League and he happily took the proverbial out of Cardiff.

'but I didn’t know too much about Swansea. I spoke to Jim Ryan about the move and although he supported it, his parting shot was to ask me to take a look at the league table, I did, Swansea were rock bottom. But I wasn’t moving to Wales to win trophies. I wanted to go there for the experience, to develop myself as a player – and if I could help the team, then all the better. As it turned out, I had one of the happiest times of my life in South Wales. Even now I can tell you that I’ll always have a soft spot for Swansea, they are a fantastic club, have a great manager in Brian Flynn, and are a great set of lads. I really took to the place and the recognition I received from the fans was brilliant.' Alan Tate 2003.

All proud to be a Jack.

bio5.jpg

tateflag.jpg

3 saes.jpg

5. bigkidderz

What? Why have you quoted my post, which had no mention or premeditated thought of Laudrup, and responded with this comment? My only conclusion is that you've misread my post, or you didn't mean to reply to me. I was doing nothing other than credit Alan Tate.

Oh dear, indeed.

6. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

Think bob was talking to Cartoon and not you kidderz , copied the wrong quote is my guess.

7. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

True - apologies to all I have offended in this thread.

8. bigkidderz

I'm not offended. Was just confused because I was quoted in Bob's message. Makes sense if it wasn't aimed at me, but as I was directly quoted then I needed to make sure.

One thing's for sure, I 100% agree with you on your points about Tatey. Except I'll just walk from the Vetch to the Liberty rather than crawl on my stomach. I don't think my baby-soft skin could take that sort of punishment!

9. swans-cartoonhead

Wasn't intended to be a Laudrup bashing OP, but can see why some think it came across that way, was actually a fan of Mr L most of the time. Just saying that the Tate testimonial got forgotten amidst other goings on and think it would be a shame if Alan missed out.

10. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

I was going to post similar comment to Bob's,but he beat me to it.

Good to see you point out that you weren't "bashing" Laudrup.

As is evidenced by my recent experience,great care has to be exercised when either posting a comment,or creating a thread.

An unintentionally omitted,or wrongly positioned word,coupled with incorrect punctuation, can lead to absolute mayhem.

11. swans-cartoonhead

Haha - yes I know Lib, have experienced that myself before - just wasn't quite careful enough with this post and was pounced on. ;)

12. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Only "pounced on", lucky you.

A day or so back,I got the impression that I had brought Ebola into the City. <laugh>

13. swans-cartoonhead

Glad I got away relatively lightly then - but some do tend to have very thin skins I agree! ;)

14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Poor showing by the club if nothing happens . Great character and as down to earth as you'll meet .he embraced Swansea and became friends with a few of the locals lads and became one himself .It's often forgotten but Tate was here the same time as Leon during our battle against relegation but never has the same been written about him in terms of having played with us right through to and including the PL .A True Jack legend imo

15. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

with us being in the premiership it has been difficult for us to fit in testimonials like clubs in the lower leagues. I don't think the club has forgotten or anything like that and will fit in testimonials for Monk and Leon as well as Tate who still has 2 years to run on his contract...

16. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

match v Hull would be a good testimonial