1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tarts & fickos in football

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gordon Armstrong, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

To be fair, it could relate to Ronaldos :emoticon-0105-wink:

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Sports commentators are irritating if you listen to what they're saying. I tend not to as I've found I can manage without a commentary when I go to the matches.

However I do listen to our Home Secretary, Priti Patel, as she has some important things to say on behalf of the government.

For someone so well educated, in such a responsible position, you'd think she'd be able to pronounce 'ing' at the end of a word ... she can't.

She'll say 'I'm thinkin about sayin somethin that doesn't wind up Smug on 606'...

... somehow she just can't manage it and occasionally says 'I fink' <doh>

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Guy Incognito likes this.
  3. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

You say that she is unable to pronounce 'ing' !

She can . . . . she's just another lazy bastard that can't be bothered to do so <steam>

Ozzymac and Guy Incognito like this.
  4. Ozzymac

Well said Gordon Armstron

5. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

I do pretty much agree with this. If it's a women's world cup it should be the best female players , with female managers, coaches etc. Of course, in practice, this would mean we couldn't have female coaches in the men's game which would no doubt be frowned upon. And I suppose there's also the thing whereby at least Neville is English. For years we've had the England national team with a foreign manager. That's equally nonsensical, if England are going to compete it should be with English players and an English manager. You could argue having an Italian in charge makes less sense than having an English lass

The Berk likes this.
  6. Ozzymac

I'd go one step further with international sport. The players have to be born in the country they represent, not emigrate and become citizens.

Look at the number of south pacific islanders playing rugby for numerous countries around the world, not to mention Brazilians playing for all manner of nations in football.

7. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Just playing devils advocate. What about if a kid moves to a different country at six months old and lives there for decades before wanting to play for the nation that's pretty much all they have ever known?

I get what you're saying completely. Losing your "Kevin Pietersons and Joffra Archers" @safcfansofaraway characters wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But there is a grey area.

8. Ozzymac

There's only a grey area because of the rules. It could be overcome by making the stipulation of "The first country in which you participated in the sport", similar to state of origin over here. Make a cut off age, for example 12 years of age. The country that you first played the sport in past the age of 12 is the only one that you can represent if you are a citizen of that country, if not then it is the country of your birth.

9. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Fair.