1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Tarana Burke me to movement

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarana_Burke

Tarana Burke i have seen her her first name spelt two ways Tarana and Tyrana as most spell it the first way that is what i am going with
    is a civil rights activist from The Bronx, New York who founded the Me Too movement. In 2006, Burke began using the phrase "Me Too" on social media to raise awareness of the pervasiveness of sexual abuse and assault in society.

www.amnesty.org/en/latest/education/2018/08/tarana-burke-me-too/

i listened to her on Hardtalk on BBC in the early hours of this morning, i found her a reasonable and intresting women , who was able to dispell a lot of misinformation that has developed around this movement. Before the Me Too movement went viral in October 2017, activist Tarana Burke had been using the phrase for over a decade.

some of the things she raised was the division in the political system in the US and the difficulties this caused in the civil rights movements.

"that black , disabled , transgender and men who have been verbally , sexually or physically abused have less of a voice than white women.

that me to movement is for men who have been verbally , sexually or physically abused as well as women.

the need to look at the systems in place were these incidents are allowed and purputartors protected.

for things to change the need for men to be included in this discussion to make change happen.

the need for the focus of sex education to change to respect , bounderies and informed discussions so that future generations would not have the mindset that see's nothing wrong in the way women are treated."

"Troublingly, more than half (54%) of 18-24 year-old female students experienced sexual harassment (inappropriate touching, comments or abuse) on nights out. Among these women, half (51%) confirmed this is something they experience most or every time they go out, and only one in seven (14%) were surprised to be at the receiving end of it. It’s not just women, almost one in seven (15%) male students experience inappropriate or unwanted sexual comments and touching on a night out."

www.drinkaware.co.uk/press/sexual-harassment-tops-list-of-risks-for-female-students-on-nights-out/

There is somthing very wrong in a society when such incidents are seen as the norm.
    anaecdotally when i worked in the nhs most of my colleagues were women and i remember my shock when some of the younger staff were talking about a night out and talked about such incidents.

A few years back i went to a traing day on domestic violence a lot of things stuck in my mind but two that stood out was ;three women a week are killed from domestic violence and more money is spent on animal shelters than shelters for victims of domestic abuse.

Over the past five years, rape offences reported to police have risen by about 65% to 55,195. However, the proportion making it to court (prosecutions) in that time has more than halved.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48095118

there are no easy answers , there are no quick fix solutions but we badly need to have a dialougue and start changing atitudes.