1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

talksport drive time......does it annoy the hell out of anyone else?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Schrodinger's Cat, Feb 6, 2015.

?

Should football fans pay tribute to opposing players who have no connection to your club?

1. yes

10.0%
  2. no

90.0%
  1. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I was listening to Talksport on the way home from work, and had the misfortune of catching a debate in which that Peterborough supporting idiot who poisons the airwaves at this time, was arguing that the Everton fans ought to give Gerrard some kind of tribute as it will be his last Mersey derby, and that football fans with any class should recognise his contribution.

I didn't think he'd get a of of support, and I'm aware that an awful lot of what he says is the verbal equivalent of clickbait, but I was frankly amazed he would even come out with such an idea - as if Everton fans would think they owed Gerrard anything, let alone respect. I could never do it as I find the idea illogical and pointless, especially concerning Gerrard who I think is an odious thug at the best of times.

Does anyone out there think that there is ever a time when fans of one club should pay tribute to a player with no connection to that club, during or before a competitive match, and if so, who?

2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Maybe we should give Arry some sort of tribute on Saturday? Buy him a nice box of chocs, flowers for the missus maybe?

3. Schrodinger's Cat

He'll be at home, resting his poor job ending knees.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I would never say never as there may be circumstances I may not have thought of, but as a general rule no. However, if you have no axe to grind, being quiet wouldn't hurt. In the example quoted, I can't see why Everton fans would be respectful to Gerrard.

5. Schrodinger's Cat

Durham was inferring that Everton fans should, if they had any class. Like Durham knows anything about class.

6. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Rosie deserves a treat.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I'm sure Saints fans will have their own special tribute prepared for a couple of Liverpool players on the 22nd of this month.

8. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Michael Owen got a good reception at SMS when he signed off. But no, I don`t think it is necessary or appropriate, unless it was someone really iconic, like Bobby Moore. I can`t think of anyone playing today who warrants it.

9. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I was one of the people that gave Michael Owen a standing ovation when he came on in that game - one of my favoutite players. But i do agree that is the exception not the rule.

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

In answer to the thread title, "no, because I never listen to it; its ****"

11. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Did listen to the debate about Everton paying some sort of tribute to Gerrard. Adrian Durham is an absolute knob, suggesting Everton should give him a guard of honour onto the pitch etc. Its a local derby ffs and he's plays for the enemy. Both managers, players and fans will only have one thing on their minds, WINNING not bloody Steven Gerrard

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If Gerrard had captained England to victory in the World Cup then I would personally have carried him on to the pitch when he comes down with Liverpool. As it turned out, he was a ****ing useless captain and his ineptitude cost us the games against Uruguay and Italy. And he cost Liverpool the title last year.