1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Taking the knee part 100

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

2. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Madness

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

De Kock misses South Africa T20 World Cup game after refusing to take knee | South Africa cricket team | The Guardian

“After considering all relevant issues, including the freedom of choice of players, the board had made it clear it was imperative for the team to be seen taking a stand against racism, especially given South Africa’s history. The Board’s view was that while diversity can and should find expression in many facets of daily lives, this did not apply when it came to taking a stand against racism.”

Read this several times. The implication is that unless you take the knee individuals cannot be ‘taking a stand against racism’. That is ridiculous.

4. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I personally abhor racism, have friends of all colours cultures and races but do not believe taking the knee and so do quite a few / some of them. It was initially a stance against police brutality the final straw being the GEORGE F incident. It had been a common practice against all criminals / suspects irrespective of race creed or colour. KICK IT OUT campaign was and should be the way forward that highlights racism not kneeling which is the result of criminal activity not football [ sport ] related.

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous and if South Africa insist on their players taking a knee than they are bang out of order.
    Whatever happened to personal freedom and being able to express your own values ?

Not taking the knee doesn't make him a racist, maybe he is just as sick of all this BLM nonsense as the rest of the right thinking population.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. realred1952

one has to wonder, in the real world [ where freedom abounds ] and the pro's and cons of kneeling has a very diverse response, in fact support of it is probably very poor, whether given the opportunity proffessional "hands tied ... do as you are told" sports people, to have freedom of choice, would actually bend a knee??? DIDNT SEE many [ if any ] at olympics, the "tours", dont see jockeys ride down to the start jump off do the knee and then get back on. Do golfers start at tee 1 on their knee's .....

7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Whenever a whole team take the knee I’m suspicious. I don’t think Kalas does when playing internationals, maybe I’m just an old cynic, but it seems to me within 11 individuals it’s unlikely they all have the same view, it’s more a case of some not wanting to appear to be taking a different stance.

edit
    If you excuse the pun.

8. Angelicnumber16

The irony is that one third of professional footballers are apparently unvaccinated against Covid, which of course is their choice, yet when it comes to taking the knee, a lot of them do it en masse without questioning what they are actually supporting or doing it for.
    So in that respect they're still the sheep they've always been.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  9. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

It's called "being seen to do the right thing".............even though it's bollocks!!

10. realred1952

it is a team sport and as such it is expected that everyone supports everyone else .... I did watch a match of the day a month or so ago where at the start " most" of the players knelt a couple black ones were amongst the couple I saw didnt, again it comes down to opinions and an individuals interpretation of "it" [ it being whatever ] I see the knee as an important reaction to the criminal act that was used to subdue a criminal resisting arrest. Had George been white not black, or even any other colour race or creed ... it would likely have been reported by the media and slipped away [ from attention] like so many other acts that have now have annual anniversaries. Murdered policemen/ mp's/ innocent terror victims ..........
    FOOTBALLERS SHOULD GET BACK TO WHAT WAS WORKING ....................KICK IT OUT ..........................

Angelicnumber16 likes this.

11. Angelicnumber16

And shamefully the cricketer in question has apologised and backtracked

He's just made himself look a proper fool

South Africa's Quinton de Kock has apologised after refusing to take a knee and says he is "not a racist".
    The wicketkeeper-batsman made himself unavailable for the T20 World Cup win against West Indies because he did not want to make the gesture.
    "I would like to start by saying sorry to my team-mates, and the fans back home," he said.
    "If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so."
    Some South Africa players - but not all - took a knee before the defeat by Australia in their T20 World Cup opener, when De Kock scored seven.
    Cricket South Africa (CSA) then issued a directive shortly before the match on Tuesday against the Windies that all players should take a knee.
    "I did not, in any way, mean to disrespect anyone by not playing against West Indies, especially the West Indian team themselves," added De Kock.

12. realred1952

interesting reply, that magical word "if" means he is not convinced, but will fall in line, so he can play, and also not to degrade the rest of the enforced actions laid down by the governing body ....

13. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Wilfred Zaha doesn't take the knee because he says it's a pointless gesture and changes nothing and that only robust action against the guilty can stop it.

And he is 100% correct and he was racially abused online after Saturday's match v Man City.

Much like players who will sign for Newcastle or players who will play in the world cup in Qatar, most players have no scruples whatsoever when it comes to earning more money from either advertising sweatshop goods or playing for dubious owners or in dubious tournaments, I remember reading that the Manchester arena bomb almost certainly had it financial roots in Qatar and a lot of players from the Manchester clubs (including those born in Manchester) will happily play there.

Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  14. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

What happened to EPL stars taking the knee at the African nations cup? Slavery and racism exists in Africa. is the kneeling having time off in the sun??

15. realred1952

they all probably see the poverty around them and thank "goodness" for history!
    Amazing really most of these nations depend on Europeans / others for support or would rather live here than there ... a lot of twists in humanity!

16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member