1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Taking A Deep Breath

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Well, what a day. The 5 today makes it a total of 12 new players. But make no mistake, our squad was so small that buying wasn't an option, it was essential.

Especially pleasing has been the Club not making do with 'discards' or premiership journeymen. Instead, they've gone for quality and (largely) youth. Just take today's five:

Tim Fosu-Mensah (20)
    Zambo Aguissa (24)
    Joe Byran (24)
    Sergio Rico (24)
    Luciano Vietto (24)

No wonder the Gaffer is happy
    please log in to view this image
    However, and the Captain has already touched on this in another thread, bringing in a load of new signings doesn't guarantee anything if they don't gel and tactics don't fit. So Jokanovic has his work cut out.

Immediately he has a mini-selection problem, in having 5 loanees but only 4 are allowed in the 18 match day squad. More importantly though building a new team won't happen overnight and he has to get the ethos right - one of the strengths of the promotion squad was its team spirit.

What he does have is competition in every position - something he's whinged about as lacking in the past. That said, the newbies shouldn't be allowed to assume they can just walk into the team and rest assured the 'old firm' who got us here, won't lie down easily. Kamara and Kebano, just as examples, have had a good pre-season. So there's going to be some disappointed guys and he'll need all his management skills to retain that all important and essential squad togetherness.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

That's a Football League rule, not a Premier League one. I believe that foreign loans are treated as permanent transfers for the purposes of Premier League rules.

3. Cottager58

Ah, okay thanks Surly. That's one less problem for the Gaffer then.

Just out of interest, here's a list of the 28 players who could make up our squad - take out Sessegnon (age), Djalo and Woodrow to give 25. And just look at the average age.

please log in to view this image

4. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Ok so who is going to be the first to have a bash at trying to work out how we will line up this season....

5. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Incredible transfer window, surely better than any of could have expected. As you say there are quality signings, young and with potential for many to get better, a few older with quality experience. Exciting times ahead.

I think we really do need manage expectation and be patient as we gel these players into a team. Target must still be to avoid relegation and with the stronger squad and a good manager we will hopefully be better than quite a few more of the premier teams now.

6. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock to be honest. Hugely impressed with the quality of the players that have come in. Expectations are still not high, I think it will take time for SJ to find his best team.
    COYW

7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

When fully fit, it seems like the first team would be: Rico; Fosu-Mensah, Mawson, Ream, Bryan; Anguissa, Seri, Cairney; Sessegnon, Mitrovic, Schurrle. I imagine there are those who would pick Chambers ahead of Ream, but I think retaining the Ream/Cairney/Mitrovic spine is important, especially with the changes at GK & DM.

However for tomorrow, I suspect we'll go with: Fabri; Christie, Chambers, Ream, Bryan; McDonald, Seri, Cairney; Sessegnon, Mitrovic, Schurrle.

Fabulous Fabio likes this.
  8. Cottager58

Read somewhere that the Club were surprised to find that Sergio Rico spoke, pretty much, no English at all. This got me thinking about communication on the field - essential between a keeper and his back four but important across the board. Don't think our current set up is anywhere near perfect but it could be a jolly sight worse :

French speakers
    Kebano
    Kamara
    Ayite
    Cisse
    Anguissa
    Seri
    Le Marchand

Spanish speakers
    Rico
    Fabri
    Vietto