1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tailed Off Chairboys v Robins 29th April 23

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Well as the season comes to an end with only pride to play for and the Robins arrive at Adams Park safe in mid table although we will be looking at an eighth place finish and revenge from the 5-5 draw from last season the craziest game I have seen at AP.
    Matty may make a few changes well why not.
    I will be going to AP for this to give the lads a round of applause and hopefully a first win for our new manager on a Saturday since his arrival<cheers>

2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

I am also off to this one for a reasonable season when you think what's happened this season, an awful start, sold probably our best player, lost our manager right at the worst time.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Look on the bright side phil. You have generally been finishing matches earlier though...........

4. philhythe

I am quite happy where we are going to finish Greeny when you look at our level of support & obviously the money side with our home support being about 5,000 any large crowds we get are down to the away support, & we wouldn't be the first side to lose in the play-offs & have an awful season afterwards. When you look at the table all of the teams above us are getting at least double our crowds. When we look forward to next season three of the bigger clubs in league 1 will be gone & at least two coming down from the Championship are going to be more on our level.

5. Guywanderer

6. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

franchise losing 1-0 at home to Barnsley. :)

7. mowgli1960

0-1 from a penalty given away by Gape. <doh>

8. mowgli1960

May makes it 2-0 who else get your cheque book out Rob Couhig,ffs 0-3 Taxi for Blooms. :steam::steam::steam:

Guywanderer likes this.
  9. mowgli1960

QPR are safe.

10. Guywanderer

We were abysmal if that is what we will be getting under Bloomfield he has to go
    No pride no passion no idea
    Wrong starting lineup wrong subs at the wrong time after 67 mins took off McCarthy and JJ and played a back 3 without wing backs we were poor before we were dire after Bloomfield hasn't got a clue

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    mowgli1960 likes this.

11. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Makes you appreciate and miss what we had, doesn’t it!
    Always was going to be one of the hardest acts to follow after GA left. I’m prepared to give him the summer to build the team in his mould and a good dozen games in to next season. I hope he can get a style embedded by then that the players buy in to because at the moment we look like relegation fodder. I know people said we gave Ainsworth time, but he picked up a squad with less quality and experience and often couldn’t even field a full bench of players. Blooms has picked up a squad that were play off contenders and turned them seemingly into easy pickings for all comers.
    I want him to succeed, but we look clueless and unmotivated at the moment

Guywanderer likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear

On a brighter note congratulations to Plymouth on gaining automatic promotion

Guywanderer and sensiblegreeny like this.
  13. philhythe

Absoulutely Awful today can somebody please tell me how virtually the same players who kept four clean sheets against four of the top sides & won all four & the other three only lose 1-0 play so bloody awful, & manage to let eight goals in, in the last four home games, agaist what we would have lokked at as average league 1 teams.That must be the first time for a long long time I have left a game before the final whistle. Sitting having a beer before the game joined by two young lads & older guy from Grimsby, who tells me our goalkeeper today is his son, I am glad I didn't bump into him after after that third goal. Wasn't Bloomfield saying about putting some of the younger players in well if he had it couldn't have gone any worse. Now the Couhigs only 90%, if Bloomfield starts next season the way this one has finished he will be gone by the end of September they can not afford for us to be in league 2. As you say Ainsworth & Dobbo are proving themselves to be a far better management team than a lot of people gave them credit for.

Guywanderer likes this.
  14. Guywanderer

I left as soon as the 3rd went in you have seen my opinion and everyone around me was of a similar one I just don't think Bloomfield is the right fit especially as he only retired a little over a year ago so has played with most of the present team and you can't jump from player to manager just like that he needs to go away and learn his trade having a ex manager appoint his replacement is a recipe for disaster just look who Alec Ferguson chose to be his replacement

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have always supported Gareth; from wanting to be our manager right up to when he left. I was gutted he left us. Ask mowgli <laugh>

16. philhythe

The problem now, we have signed a lot of that team on new contracts & on that performance somebody has made a grave mistake

17. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

We've seen what those players can achieve so I guess it's all down to the management team to motivate them and get the tactics right.
    We do need some fresh blood though as some are reaching the very end of their careers and we have some gaps since we let go of Mehmeti, Mawson, Horgan, Al Hamadi, plus a few others. Then we have a few players (who i do like) that we seem to have been carrying for a couple of years, due to being injury prone - Gape, Thompson & Taff. We cannot afford to have a start to the season like we did this year. No recognised keeper in place and a horrific injury list. Rob C has said they have time to prepare properly this year so there are no excuses.
    Have to say listening to Couhigs interview i was surprised that he thought we would achieve automatic promotion. He may have injected some finance into this club, but nothing on the levels that Ipswich, Sheff Wed etc are ploughing in. We also do not have the revenue from ticket sales that these ex prem or regular Championship dwellers have. Look at the salaries the likes of Bolton and Derby (reportedly in financial difficulty) are paying annually in wages. We are definitely one of the bottom feeders in League 1 along with the likes of Accy, Morecambe, Exeter and a couple of others. If you are interested, this website gives an interesting insight in to each clubs weekly & annual wage bill - www.capology.com/uk/league-one/salaries/

Guywanderer likes this.
  18. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This post is in response to Ron's on the Betthread (see what I did there).

This time last season we knew all about wheels and coming off. Who got in the play offs instead? The most remarkable thing about our season this term is the budget difference between us and a shed load of other clubs. You are in the same/worse boat than we are for that so your season has hardly been a failure. Not what you wanted to happen at the end of course but you can't call it failure. In my opinion the worse part for you was Ainsworth leaving. Your club and him just fit together even if sometimes the results aren't great. Tell you what though, my son made a valid comment on Saturday in the Club House. We have been spoiled this season with the win games we have witnessed given the home record. Make the most of it because we will probably get mullered for the most part next season. People keep pointing out the "big" clubs in league one this time around don't they. Well if this league had a shed load of big boys then our next season is going to be interesting. Not sure there are any "small" clubs in the Championship. Just as an aside, our local radio station this morning said Argyle were promoted to "The Champions League". Not in my feckin life time we won't.

Guywanderer and Ron like this.
  19. philhythe

For Ainsworth it's only two results in his new club, I just wonder if a few clubs are thinking have we missed a trick here. As Blue Slasher said in his post & I have said on here a few times for the last few seasons we have been the best of the rest of league 1 after the clubs who can get 15,000 & above crowds. As for the season it has been good up to a point again I have said 7th or 8th would be our place this season. The game on Saturday has to be down to management & how they want the team to play. Ainsworth & Dobbo devised a plan for the players we have & it worked. Look at the team who put Plymouth to the sword on the last game of last season now at different ends of the table. Just hope Bloomfield can do something similar

Guywanderer likes this.