1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Syndicate Ownership

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by redcgull, Nov 11, 2019.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Just need a bit of advice from the you the good folk of the Not606 Horse Racing site as I've been asked a question that I want to help out on but have no idea on which way to go...

A partner of a good mate of mine has asked if me there are any good Syndicate Horse Ownerships to join as she wants to treat her hubby to the share of a horse as a Xmas present. Now she has found one called The Racing Emporium, which upon looking at is quite good in my eyes, but I'm no expert. See below link

https://www.theracingemporium.com/?...QjGUZRAx9QC3qjA8Iu-PIx60gifKFWMeGX6iC3C-Vxu-8

I have told her that I would take a look and get back to her with any help or information that I can. I have not asked her as to how much she would want to pay, bit too early for that at the moment, but I have already said you can get a good deal if you look around.

I got her hubby into racing after we attended Haydock races last year, it was an office trip out to celebrate one of the girls' birthdays. But since that day we have attended several race days, last year's Betfred day at Haydock proving to be a real good trip, and he has even taken his other half away for the weekend to Doncaster, York and Newcastle, so they are really in to it.

Have the good people of the Not606 forum got any ideas that I can send back to her...??

Many thanks for any feed back...<cheers> <ok>

Ron and floridaspearl like this.
  2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

a few key questions-

What’s the budget
    What do they want to get out of it
    redcgull and floridaspearl like this.
  3. NassauBoard

In the north I’d say Middleham Park are good, as is Nick Bradley racing (formerly of MPR). I’d say it’s worth looking at Foxtrot Racing as well but they are more southern based (Dan is a great chap)

honestly though, it’s probably worth finding what yards are near to home, see if they like the trainer and go from that. Most yards syndicate horses and plenty of people join them.

if it’s a more token offering in terms of budget then you’ve got big syndicates like Elite and the folk who gave us the Triumph winner Pentland Hills. They are racing clubs where ownership is very reasonable but the experience comes at that cost level (ballot for tickets etc)

Ron, redcgull and floridaspearl like this.
  4. stick

stick Bumper King

I endorse what Nass says. To get the most out of it you want to be a good local yard. The real fun of ownership is going to the yard, getting to know people and being around the horses. It is surprising how much you can get out of this.
    Most trainers have their own racing clubs and some have more than one horse so all your eggs are not in one basket.

5. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

I'm a member of Elite and I also have shares in a few Owners Group horses (including Pentland Hills :smiley:)

With Elite I pay a flat fee (first year is £199 but goes down each year with loyalty bonus and if lucky a share of prize money). For that I get at least 10 horses in training (currently horses with the likes of James Fanshawe, Sir Mark Prescott, Nicky Henderson, Alan King etc). A magazine every 2 weeks with an email report the intervening week. Access to website which provides info and regular video reports of club horses and race reports. The Club also organises visits to the races, stable visits and other related visits. I've always managed to get on the visits I want to go on - for example a couple of years ago there were visits to the Newmarket trainers over 2 days in June - day 1 SMP in the morning and Dalham Hall in the afternoon, day 2 James F in the morning and races at Newmarket in the afternoon. A two day visit like this suits me as it makes it worthwhile me taking time off work. You do have to apply to go in a ballot if one of the horses is running for a paddock place. IN addition there is a breeding programme with currently 10 broodmares (9 foals due next year) and its nice to see the foals progress and hopefully make it to the racecourse. Its fair to say the majority do make it to the racecourse and with few exceptions they win (at various levels). I'd say Elite are more flat orientated than NH. With Elite the Club owns the horses - there are no shares like a syndicate.

With Owners Group (same parent company as Elite) you buy a share (or shares) in a particular horse. There is always the chance that the horse does not race or has its career cut short due to injury etc. My share in Pentland Hills cost me £57 as I was in at the start. At renewal this year it was £46 as I had paid my share of the capital cost of the horse. Any shares that became available this year cost £166 as his capital value had increased. As an owner I get a monthly magazine, access to the website, weekly email report and the chance to apply for tickets. Again they also have stable visits etc. The majority of the horses in the OG syndicates are NH (Nicky Henderson and Paul Nichols train several other trainers include Donald McCain and Iain Jardine). The syndicates are divided into shares (usually between 3000 or 4000 per horse). I've not been on any of their visits but hopefully next year I will get to go to Iain Jardine's as I have a share in a horse with him and its the closest OG yard to me.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day it depends what you want from a share/club and how much you want to spend.

Ron and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  6. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Like Nass and Stick have said, I think it is better to go with a yard that is local. That way you can pop in with minimum fuss and at minimal expense petrol wise.

As I live in the Cotswolds I was really focused on getting involved with a yard in the area. I went to visit Graeme McPhersons yard and i spoke to David Bridgwater on the phone who put me in touch with a contact at one of their syndicates. It sounded good but I settled with our fella who is at Sam Drinkwater's yard. Everything felt right about the opportunity, the yard is in a lovely spot, the trainer is really welcoming and the syndicate members are great.

I have really enjoyed the experience so far. I get to attend the yard regularly..get to hear about other horses in the yard and have attended all the races our fella has entered in with a free ticket and food. The wife has even come on a couple of occasions too due to a spare ticket going.

I personally didn't want to get involved in a syndicate with 100s of other members..I wanted a smaller arrangement where you might be one of 10 or 20.

I would recommend speaking to a few trainers in your area. In my experience they are always willing to help you out.

Talking of Foxtrot racing shares are currently available in a 3 year old called Mister Chiang who is apparently well bred by Archipenko out of Rose chinoise. This is what the trainer is quoted as saying about this horse “He is only a three-year-old and yet he has already proven that he is horse with class. He is tough, copes with any ground and he stays. He looks hugely exciting and I’m delighted he’s gone to Foxtrot.”

Trainer obviously well thought of and to get involved costs an initial £1985.00 and then costs reviewed in February I believe. Probably not north enough for you though...

Good luck to your friends in their search..I m sure they will thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Ron and redcgull like this.
  7. redcgull

Budget, not sure, they do have a bit of money behind them but I've not asked that question yet...
    Get out of it, just a bit of fun, and hopefully a few days out in the ring and maybe, just maybe a winner...!!
    Location, well they live just outside of Blackburn, both work in Preston and are looking to move nearer to Preston soon...

8. redcgull

Talking to his wife I think this is what she is looking at, which when you take a look at the link she sent me is basically what you've put here Janabelle.

I said that I was interested in it myself but I had too much money piled in to next years holiday, I'm off to America. But since looking at into it I think it's totally workable and might join her and join one myself...

9. stick

stick Bumper King

https://www.lancashireracingstables.co.uk/home

plenty of options and near perfect location

10. redcgull

Cheers stick...<ok>

11. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

don’t go to Alan Berry ! <laugh>

12. NassauBoard

Interesting, not exactly a hotbed of racing trainers, which poses an interesting puzzle. I perhaps would think about looking at trainers in Malton who like to have runners at Haydock and the like. Perhaps someone like Brian Ellison - https://brianellisonracingclub.co.uk/about-the-membership-club/

I am very much in the view of going into a syndicate rather than joining a racing club, but that is just my preference of feeling involved with the yard, have conversations with folk and feeling i've got a tangible share. Currently i've got a 10% stake in one with Fergal, but to be honest the value of going down to the yard, speaking with those who look after the horses and being involved with something that is friendly and inviting has been a pleasure.

Even if you/they are putting in a seemingly small amount, make sure its worth it for what you want out of it. Most of all, its about that enjoyment factor!

And don't go to Alan Berry!!

rudebwoy, Ron and redcgull like this.
  13. redcgull

Might be a bit of a stupid question as I suppose but what would be a good age of horse to choose from...??

Suppose it's all down to what you want from it really isn't it...??

14. stick

stick Bumper King

Thats a real personal thing Red and of course depends on whether it is flat or jumps that floats your boat.
    I have always been more interested in unexposed types as you still have a possible dream. Having said that JENNYS SURPRISE took us to places we could never have imagined when we first got involved.

15. NassauBoard

Another question and a half. It'll be interesting to hear Stick's views on this.

My experience has been with a horse with Middleham Park, and also one with Foxtrot Racing. The former was a modest handicapper who I knew a lot about form wise, that gave me the ability to judge what sort of racing I was likely to see him in and what I wanted out. The one with Foxtrot was an unraced juvenile, which meant we could dream about what could be (then I realised he was trained by an eejit).

I've now gone for a horse who I believe is very well handicapped, and is with the right yard. I could have put the money into a higher rated handicap horse with a different yard, but one that probably was handicapped out of winning races (but has already run at Cheltenham this year).

16. stick

stick Bumper King

MISTER CHIANG sold out in 24 hours!

17. redcgull

I know he prefers the jumps, got that from me, but you two, Nass & Stick, know exactly what your looking form you have a greater depth of knowledge etc than many let alone my mate of myself. He partner is shooting in the dark so wouldn't know a good one or not...

If it's just a started pack she wants then the syndicate thing of paying the initial £59 or whatever and taking it from there maybe the option. But, and I know if I did this then I would want a bit more out of it so would prefer a different kind of involvement, probably going to the yard etc...

Ron and stick like this.
  18. NassauBoard

You obviously didn't see how my previouss two horses raced!!

The other option would be something like - https://www.ownaracehorse.co.uk/viewhorses.php

However, when you work out how much people are making out of it, it can be a bit scary!!

19. NassauBoard

20. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Wow...not surprised as sounds like a very exciting opportunity and the trainer always does really well with horses sent to him. It's still currently indicating shares available on their website..