1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Solid_Air 2, Jan 14, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

15.8%
  2. Draw

15.8%
  3. Away win

42.1%
  4. We'll ****ing smash'em!

26.3%
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

They've shown a bit of fight lately but realistically they are on 17 points with safety 4 points away.

Will they be happy with a hard fought point?

Its january so maybe.

Carlos Carvalhal is not a manager i know a thing about. Apparently he got wednesday to the play offs in the championship twice but then got out of there with them lower half this year and walked into swansea.

It at least shows competance.

they beat watford with him in charge, and drew with newkie away and were leading in that game.

So who knows. Neither side have been any good lately but its a marked improvement since clement went.

Hopefully we can blitz them but we will see.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

TBH this season reminds me of the season where blackburn won the league.

I used to think you have to score two to beat blackburn cos they had shearer bound to score every game. I think he got 34 goals in 42 games that season.

Mo salah is on 18 from 22 games now. He's our shearer.

Blackbrun had colin hendry at the back so VVD might just be that guy for us. hopefully so.

I think if vvd plays we've a set piece goal threat. I would actually start him and lovren not him and matip just for attacking set pieces.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

2nd person to suggest keeping Lovren in the team today, wtf is wrong with you? Lovren has consistantly ****ed up and cost us goals and games, he's had every opportunity to cut out these mistakes and nothing has changed. Matip is a very good defender and for all our talk of sorting the defence out we are at the point of having a solid enough defence in Gomez Matip VVD and Robertson and now people say that Lovren should keep his spot, insanity!!!

organic red likes this.
  4. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

Matip too has errors. He is just less spectacular so you do not notice or forget quickly. For a person his height he heads like a ...... (avoiding feminsist) .

What Lovern is good at is playing RCB and with VVD as the LCB I too will not be shocked if we see him playing more than Matip.

saintKlopp likes this.
  5. theStath

theStath Active Member

Think it's because Gomez has made bigger errors and that has deflected from Lovrens performance

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Gomez needs to sort that out but he's a good player who is playing well throughout games and then there's a silly error now and then I don't think we need to worry about that he'll improve. Lovren has been ok lately, he's not the worst player in the world but is very error prone and at his age that isn't going to change, good backup for our 2 main CB's.

organic red likes this.
  7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Matip just needs a good partner and VVD is that. Before VVD Matip and Lovren play as 2 strangers we will now have a good partnership in Matip & VVD and it will make a huge difference.

There might be an argument that Lovren was good when he had Fonte in his ear all the time but I don't think we should try this. Matip & VVD will be brilliant together mark my words.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I agree with Luv that Lovren simply isn’t good enough and he makes one big error every game. If you look at most of his errors, they are individual errors - VVD won’t make him read the flight of the ball better, or help him not Get skinned.

At the same time, Matip isn’t good enough either. He makes basic errors as well - he should have done better for City’s first goal but it doesn’t get talked about because Gomez and karius’s Errors were more visible.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lovren starts with VVD but we badly need a RCB for next season.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I disagree and think Matip is too often left to cover the errors of those around him Lovren out of position for example so he has to make up ground. Once he plays as a settled partnership with VVD I think we'll see the best of him.

10. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Lovren isn't coming out of this discussion too well <laugh>

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Potentially. But Matip does make individual errors as well - probably not as many or as calamitious as Lovren.

12. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

^ This
    think Matip "looks" better than he really is performing plus as Lamborini said how come he has never learnt to head the ball !

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

for a big mane he is as **** as crouch at headers

rarely gets off the ground and TBH... his head is like a 50p the ball just flies off at odd angles.

I don't rate him as a threat of set pieces as a result.

I think he is a good reader of the game and is rarely in a bad position relative to his opponent so guys don't get in behind him.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  14. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

<ok> <laugh>

15. Solid_Air 2

ah that remind me how when we had corners under Rafa we would often aim at Lucas as he wasn't marked closely and everytime i would shout
    "FFS whats the point his head is like a threepenny bit"

which just shows how old i am :emoticon-0101-sadsm

16. moreinjuredthanowen

its amazing how these lads have heads suited to clearing the ball and it just goes up off their bonces isn't it.

You'd think years of heading it has misshapen their skulls or something.

17. Solid_Air 2

<laugh>

18. saintKlopp

If you're defending all you have to do is get something solid on it.
    Attacking headers require accuracy.

19. saintKlopp

I've said it too.
    In my case, it's what I think Klopp will do, regardless of my opinion of the player.

luvgonzo likes this.
  20. Lucas Talking

Lucas Talking Well-Known Member

Lovren has 2 strikes against him. 1 - he is **** and a coward. 2 - he cant physically play 2 games a week unless he is off his face on pain killers.
    Give me Matip who can pass, good on ball and doesnt feel the need to throw himself at everything anyday

Jimmy Squarefoot and luvgonzo like this.