1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Sep 15, 2022.

?

City win?

1. City win

2. Draw

3. Down the Swanee

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

He was a big factor in KLP pushing for a move.

2. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

KLP's agent was hawking him around Premier League clubs well before Shota knew where Hull was.

3. NewcastleTiger

Yes I know but KLP really liked Grant and let’s just say he never warmed to Shota on the training field.

4. Jackthecap

Jackthecap Well-Known Member

I've held my pipe on this to calm down before posting. Shota sounded like a beaten man after the game. It's a long time since I saw any manager look quite as devastated after a game. It wasn't the defeat thats a shock. It's the manner of the last two defeats which are hard to understand and accept. We let the Swans pass the ball around us. Irrespective of the injuries and (lack of) quality that we had available over the last couple of games, the least we should expect is some graft and some running. No pressure on the ball and no closing down. That's inexcusable. Decsions taken by owner or manager are coming back to haunt us. Eaves and Honeyman are the obvious examples. KLP's ship had sailed regardless. There were players who turned out yesterday who were a disgrace to the badge and to professional football. Many of them were here before Shota as well. Unless we can get some of the first 11 back sharpish this is only going to end one way. The look on Acun's face spoke volumes. For me, he's probably got 3 games at the most to turn this round. I doubt very much whether Acun will wait until we are in the bottom three and that's where we are headed. It's a right sad state of affairs. :-(

5. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

I have a feeling a lot haven’t warmed to him. It shows.

6. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

there's no way klp was turning down a move to the prem regardless of whom is manager

7. NewcastleTiger

He might’ve been more likely to accept the 20k a week contract he was offered though if he believed in what the club was building. Which evidently based on recent form was the correct decision

8. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

I'd understand that argument if it was laid at Acun/Tan's door- any player signing for one manager or other in the modern game is going to end up disappointed for the majority of their contract.

What is the average tenure for a manager these days? Months?

Evington likes this.
  9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the Championship is about 400 days.

10. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

So the reported £60k a week and £1m signing on bonus had nothing to do with it?

11. WSTiger

WSTiger Well-Known Member

A lot worse

Jackthecap likes this.
  12. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Wasn’t that an album by The Fall?

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  13. dennisboothstash

I say she’s a lucky girl…

Summerof69 and Der Alte like this.
  14. dennisboothstash

One of my favourite views in the world

Another true story is that sitting on our hotel terrace on the cliff top looking at Vesuvius was the first time I drank Peroni Gran Riserva.

You chose the wrong drink that’s all

Summerof69 and Ernie Shackleton like this.
  15. Mckechnie Orange

He's better than he's showing, just being asked to do something he can't, and is therefore unsure of himself and devoid of confidence.

The alarming thing is they all look less certain of what thery're supposed to do the longer the season has gone on.

A friend of a friend was involved in moving a recent fringe player to London following his departure and pretty much confirmed the alleged Brewdog-gate story.

Said the players hadn't a ****ing clue what Shota wants them to do. And it's now showing.

There should be more understanding 10 games in, not progressively less.

I have to wonder how much of a loss Pennock was in summer in relation to communication between the manager and players. In terms of organisation, we've just gone backwards.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  16. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Moncur? If that’s true, it shows. They don’t look like they know what they’re doing, individually or collectively. Grant had many, many flaws but it’s well-known the lads liked him. I don’t think they like or rate Shota that much.

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  17. Mckechnie Orange

I think its mixed messages and poor communication that's the issue. I actually think Shota is very astute, just limited in his ability to get clear, consistent and precise messages across.

It should be remembered that Keano scored more under Shota last season than Grant. But I think the job is just too big for him. It's a far more competitive league than he, or indeed Acun and Tan are used to and I think they've been caught by surprise at the sheer physicality and competitiveness of it.

Kalman likes this.
  18. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

They shouldn’t have been caught out though, they watched us all last season

19. Mckechnie Orange

Grant was never the answer either. He created an us vs them dressing room which galvanised them and got the most from technically limited players, but we'd never have a united front between fans, media, squad and board as antagonism was always going to be part of his ethos. He was also stubborn and tactically as limited as Terry D.

League 1 manager as much as he was a L1 player. Maybe he can develop a degree of flexibility and warmth towards his supporters and do better, but that's not now.

Kalman and Gone For A Walk like this.
  20. Mckechnie Orange

Half our fans who've been watching decades didn't acknowledge the importance of the Smallwood/Ashbee/Meyler/ Greaves Snr role.

But the ugly stuff that goes unnoticed by many is what gives the platform for your match winners to go and play.

I'm quite confident however, that results and the sheer weight of investment from the owners will ensure they learn that quickly.

Might not be the next manager or window - but bet your life they'll be recruiting some steel into that midfield sooner rather than later.

askewshair and tigerrev like this.