1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Swansea pubs

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swantastic, Mar 17, 2012.

1. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Wow Dai - that's a sharp political lesson! Couldn't agree with you more about food ruining pubs though.

2. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

It must be sad for you Dai being old enough to remember the way pubs used to be, you make them sound very good btw compared to the the way they now are ?

3. Monty Fisto

Monty Fisto Well-Known Member

The chinese reteraunt is the Sea Garden, can't remember the old pubs name for a minute, it's on the road from Penclawdd to Gowerton. The Blue Anchor was in Penclawdd before it got demolished to make way for housing.

4. Monty Fisto

Monty Fisto Well-Known Member

The Berthlwyd

5. PGFWhite

You can't argue with Dai about this. He is right. There are proper pubs and there are cafes. Most pubs these days are cafes.

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

there are plenty on here guys who knows what it was like to have a true local, food,bands,kids running around were not heard of, clubs and community centers are where you would find them. the bar would be full of working men chatting or playing cards,doms or darts, some had skittles where you would challenge another pub. week-ends you would take your wife/girlfriend to your local and sit in the lounge with others from your street, when the pub shuts you would make your way to your local fish & chip shop for your supper. a good night out for you and your partner was affordable then and not like today where it costs an arm and a leg, sometime for a change we would go to the tower ball room or townsman or even the top rank and would dance the night away and on the odd occasion the pub would organise a bus to take us to titos in cardiff, to me all that community spirit and togetherness has gone and some people today dont even know their next door neighbour and that is very sad......

7. PGFWhite

Dai - tell them what the landlady would have said if you asked for a latte in a proper pub, lol.

8. swantastic

Dai i remember when i was a nipper my parents going to pubs like that and bringing us back crisps or chips im sure we went on some trips from the pub to porthcawl and the like .

9. swanseaandproud

saturdays would consist of if not working i would be off at 10am to play rugby for my local team and after the game we would have a couple of pints in the club house and set of home for dinner....2pm after playing with the youngsters i would get ready to go to the vetch to watch swansea town, it cost around 2/6 to get into the north bank and a shilling for a programme, after the match it was of home for a bite to eat and arrange a baby sitter so me and the wife could go to our local for the evening. i still cherish those days where greed and self importance was non existence......

10. Stid

Stid Active Member

Now back open though :)

11. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

I agree with everything Dai says apart from the bands i made a descent living on op of my "Propper" wages havin a knock in various bands

12. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

The problem with that is, if pubs didn't offer food they would close, the only profit for landlords is the food, the breweries are squeezing the blood out of pubs, if you have leased pub you have to buy alcohol that is 2-3 times the cost of going to the stores. The only ones who can realistically make a living wage are the freehold pubs that offer food and live music, and even they are struggling with the obscene taxes from the government on booze sold through pubs.

I think the traditional pub sucks to be honest, how can you cater for just half of the population ? The spit and sawdust pub has gone , never to return! The ones that are left are the ones where there's not enough money in them to be upgraded to a decent standard because the trade is not there.

There are many things wrong with pubs , the main one is that there are to many of them, you go to almost any village and there are 3 or 4 drinking holes, it's not sustainable and some if not a lot will go.

13. swantastic

zanzibar - knocked down
    George and dragon - gone

14. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

Woodfield club - closed

15. swanseaandproud

portmead social club knocked down....what a dump anyway...

16. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

Was that the one on the common between caerethin and caersalam ?

17. swanseaandproud

yes a breeding ground for thieves and muggers, even the bar staff stole £2,000 shortly before it was closed and demolished...

18. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

Was wondering what happened to it, haven't been in that area for years and went past there about a year ago and thought where it had gone to, I am surprised houses haven't been built there. Wasn't there an old coop and petrol station there in the 70s-80s as well ?

19. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Birchgrove social club, lasted about 15 years
    Surf house down by bracelet bay,
    Rising Sun ( Village tavern ) Bonymaen
    Star Inn ( just closed its doors) Llansamlet
    Travellers Inn llansamlet opposite the Esso garage (Now Dylan thomas restaurant)
    Lamb & flag morriston.
    black Hill grill on fair wood common
    The Pines on Llangefelach road
    The New Inn Bonymaen.
    Trallwn social club
    Double decker Llansamlet social club

20. pontyjack

pontyjack New Member

Hi , came across your threads by accident while searching old swansea clubs and pubs, so I registered on here just to ask you something. Do you remember the cavalier nightclub? It was opposite the old david evans shop. I went there a couple of times before it shut down . Dont think there is anything there to this day. Just a thought