1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City 3 v 0 Hull City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Swansea City v Hull City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - Swansea.com Stadium
    Date - 17 September 2022
    Kick off - 12:30pm

Following their disappointing, last minute, home defeat to Championship leaders, Sheffield United on Tuesday evening, next up for Russell Martin’s struggling Swans is a home match against Hull City.

On Tuesday evening, the Blades cut the Swans down to size, courtesy of Reda Khadra's late goal at Swansea City.

Joel Piroe and Ollie Cooper missed chances for Swansea while Oli McBurnie and Rhian Brewster both came close against their old club.

Substitute Khadra won an entertaining contest when United broke clear deep in stoppage time.

In some respects, it could be argued the match was decided on 2 moments where the teams were one on one against the goalie: the Swans missed theirs, the Blades didn’t.

The win extended the Blades' unbeaten Championship run to eight games.

As a result of all the midweek fixtures , the Swans drop to 22nd place - in the relegation zone - having lost on a night when a draw probably would have been the fairest outcome.

Russell Martin's side had gone toe to toe with the early-season pacesetters, but - not for the first time this season - they were undone in injury time.

In August 2021, the then newly appointed Russell Martin said that the players weren’t fit enough and he’d not been able to have a pre-season with the squad.

Yet how many late goals have we conceded this season? What progress have we really made over the last 12 months?

The only home win this season was against QPR when we played a back 4 - yet against the Blades, he reverted to 2 wing backs and 3 centre backs?

Whilst the Swans were losing on Tuesday evening, Lewis Baker scored twice as Stoke beat Hull in the Championship to give Alex Neil his first win as Potters boss.

The biditors went ahead when Baker's 25th-minute free-kick took a wicked deflection, wrongfooting keeper Matt Ingram.

And another Baker free-kick led to Stoke doubling their lead just before half-time.

Baker swung the ball in from the right, Ingram failed to claim it and Ben Wilmot headed home - the defender's second goal in as many matches.

Baker sealed the victory with a superb second-half strike. A lovely team move culminated in Dwight Gayle touching the ball off to the midfielder, who fired in from near the edge of the penalty area.

The Swans have played the Tigers on 80 previous occasions, winning 31, drawing 19 and losing 30.

In the corresponding fixture last September, the teams played out a fairly drab 0-0 draw.

As I’ve written in previous match previews of games between the 2 teams, the most famous encounter was in 2003:

Turning to Saturday, we have a vital match for both sides: a home win would lift the Swans above the Tigers, whilst a victory for Hull would see the Swans rooted in the bottom 3, with some daunting looking fixtures to come in October - indeed, based on current standings, the ‘easiest’ matches are against Cardiff and West Brom, with matches also against the likes of Watford, Burnley, and Sunderland.

The match against Hull - who started the season well, having now lost three matches in a row and four of their past five - now arguably represents the Swans’ best chance of a win in the near future.

Will the Swans secure only their 2nd home win of the season? Hopefully, but much really will depend on Martin’s team selection and the formation that he sets them up to play.

If we go one or two down, then I suspect that fan discontent could very well rear its head.

I’d love us to win 2-1, but I have a feeling that if the Tigers score first, we will lose by 2 or 3 <cheers>

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Jeez.... here we go again :emoticon-0107-sweat

Great write up Taff (as always), I sense more of that creeping disillusion though <laugh> I don't think we'll lose but win? Anyone's guess at this point. What the hell, 2 - 1 (also).

3. Taffvalerowdy

I’m finding it more difficult to conceal my increasing disillusionment and frustration with Martin and his seeming refusal to learn from what he surely must see; rather he soldiers on regardless.

4. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff.
    No score prediction from me.
    All I'm saying is we HAVE to WIN or else.

5. Taffvalerowdy

Cheers 55 <ok>

I agree - a must win game :(

55282 likes this.
  6. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

No idea what’s going to happen, even God has abandoned us. Let’s hope we can finally put our late goals conceded to a late winner.

Let’s try and be positive, 2-1 Swans.

7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Hull are above us in the table - as are the majority of teams, so I'm going for Swansea 0 - 1 to Hull with an injury time winner.

8. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff.
    I agree it's game we have to win. Surely Piroe can't miss chances like he did in the week. I haven't a clue regards the scoreline so let's go with a 2-1 win for the Swans

9. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

We're not likely to score more than once, so 1-1.

10. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

jeez.....i thought our boards predictions were grim,
    looks like it will be a cracking game for the cameras <laugh>

neveroffsidereff, 55282, Mono and 2 others like this.

11. Taffvalerowdy

12. Taffvalerowdy

13. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

5-3 us
    Why not ? o_O

Taffvalerowdy and 55282 like this.
  14. daimungeezer

Good odds!

I'm having a good feeling about this one now. Not that that actually means anything. If we can just not give away a stupid goal today I feel positive about a win.

15. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

there's about 45 mins left until we concede.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  16. glamexile

Piroe! 3-0 surely even the Swans cant throw this away or can we!

17. glamexile

We are now up to 13th. If we had those 5 points we have thrown away we would be 3rd albeit the others have a game in hand.

18. glamexile

Glad the BBC has its finger on the pulse. Obafemi making his 1st appearance of the season <doh>
    Screenshot_20220917-142100_BBC Sport.jpg

Taffvalerowdy and daimungeezer like this.
  19. daimungeezer

WTF? What happened to the 3pm kick off time? <yikes>

20. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

That caught me too! Never mind we got a win at last.................<laugh>

Taffvalerowdy and daimungeezer like this.