1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea 2 v 0 Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Just got back in - took the Mrs. for a meal after the game.

Much better today - what a difference it is when we play with width & pace.......

That said, given our PL position going into the game, understandably there were some nerves & Huddersfield had a golden opportunity when the scores were level - but the chance was missed when the guy blasted over.

I thought that Fernandez, yet again put in a great shift and Mawson did well, thankfully not making his (seeming) customary howler in each match.

Talking of Fernandez, after the game, dressed in his lounge suit, he was sitting on the floor amongst some kids - a sight to behold.

Narsingh, Tammy & Ayew worked well together - whilst Bony could well have enjoyed having Narsingh & Ayew alongside him, I can't see him displacing Tammy any time soon.

Leon, Carroll & Fer worked well together. Whilst not possibly Carroll's best game, his anticipation & foresight brought about the all-important first goal.

Fer did well after getting booked in the 2nd minute, never putting in any rash challenges.

Leon was, simply Leon.

For once (?), I thought that Clement's substitutions were spot on. Bringing on Ki for Fer maintained the energy level in the midfield; great to see Dyer coming back onto the field - although Narsingh had done well, and his run largely created the second goal. Given Clucas' last 2 performances, thought it was sensible of Clement to give him some minutes at the death when the match was "won".

So 8pts from 8 games - Leicester at home next. We need to build on today.

2. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Kick off point to the season IMO , a ton of confidence will come out of this game . Pretty pumped on Fernandez's play the last 4 games or so and Ki could get back on track after a few seasons of injury and such ....and wingers ...woohoo .

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  3. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Not sure about that as it was Hudders we played.....Lets see how we do against Leicester and the Arsenal before we can say we have turned the corner...

4. Taffvalerowdy

Saw that Bony parked his car in a Disabled Car space......

5. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

I still think Fer is a lazy pr*ck. Interesting that Mesa, Sanchez did not play after once again splashing the cash, they injured? also Clucas on the bench. Bench still looks suspect when the likes of Dyer, Routledge. For Taff, Carroll was BBCs MOM. Good 3 pts, hope we can keep it going. Is there a regular site that streams the games as over here Foxtel lost the PL contract and I only get to see the early match live?

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

7. Taffvalerowdy

Yep - saw that and did wonder whether their Reporter (Michael Pearlman - Chris' British brother ?<laugh>) was actually at the game......

Carroll put in one lovely pass to Abraham early on, and as I said, his anticipation made the first goal. But the rest of what he did was "average" - for example, 2 consecutive corners in the first half didn't get passed the first defender and were barely higher than midriff, his linkages with Olsson were so so....

For me Fernandez was MoM, closely followed by Tammy.

But Musty, it's all about opinions!<cheers> (In fact, one guy I bumped into after the match told me he thought Carroll was terrible...... <yikes>)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    ValleyGraduate12 and seabreeze like this.
  8. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Clemo didnt mess up and the players did what thier paid for at last ! We need to be beating teams like hudders so it was pleasing to see and feel what winning is like again at last !
    78%

seabreeze, 55282 and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  9. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I don't want to put a dampener on things but I thought Huddersfield were piss poor and are now being found out. Having said that I thought we were much more positive but still don't understand the Mesa situation.

10. Taffvalerowdy

I agree - I thought at times that they looked technically inferior and were uncomfortable on the ball. Hopefully, they and Brighton will fill 2 of the relegation places come the season's end. Just need someone else - Stoke?

ValleyGraduate12 and 55282 like this.

11. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Clucas, Mesa and Sanchez either subs or not in the squad = roughly £38m. Huw done well again <doh><grr>

12. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Palace will go down too. They're result yesterday was a one off <ok>

13. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

.... and Bony injured!!

14. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

A massive 3 points against relegation rival and well taken finishes by Abraham.

But, and I hate to do this as it appears we are well on the way to winning the league(!), yesterday we were no better than in another game this season, Huddersfield were absolutely shocking. It is not surprising that after 8 games they have the same goals scored as us!
    Our first goal was as a result of two cocks up by defender and goal keeper with no other defenders alert to situation.
    After their mess Carroll did well to square the ball, Ayew to leave it (as he was offside) and Abraham to steer it home.
    The second goal was well taken but quite a few balls in like that have resulted in nothing this season. So although praiseworthy it could not be described as an improvement.
    Other than the shot their goalkeeper saved in the first half we created no clear chances.
    Corners and free kicks were poorly delivered (we had a few corners for a change) and resulted in nothing close to a goal.
    Had they come to attack rather than to stop us scoring (at any cost) I fear we would have struggled.
    In the second half it was difficult to tell whether Clement was ordering a defensive line to preserve the 2 goal lead or if Huddersfield had gained control. Mooy made a big difference for them whereas our subs made no impact; in fairness Ki & Dyer were both returning from long lay offs.
    Yes, we had a bit of speed but mainly from Abraham, who ideally should have been receiving the benefits of wide players, and Narsingh who were aloud masses of space. Olsson played further forward as there was no threat but once they realised Naughton was pushing on they attacked his side.
    This was a game between two poor sides.
    The crowd, even when 2 up were very quiet until the final few minutes, there was a lot of disquiet among fans in the area I sat; Mawson for the first time was being criticised for his lack of concentration, aimless long passes and over-estimating his footballing skills; calls for Carroll to be taken off started early and continued throughout, Narsingh's contribution was also dismissed.
    Although hardly required, Fabianski was again reluctant to take command of his six yards area.

Sorry 'glass half full people' I'm just being honest and realistic.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  15. Taffvalerowdy

Bloody hell Valley - don't write down anything for the Estyn Inspectors...... <whistle>

<laugh>

swanseaandproud and 55282 like this.
  16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Piss off <grr>

<laugh>

17. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

If Newcastle score again we could be up to 12th place <yikes>

18. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Two poor sides and relegation candidates playing a typical dog fight game...I would not read anything into that game as Hudders should have scored a couple themselves, Lets see how we do against the better sides before we can say we are better and turning the corner.....We cant say that playing Hudders at home...

Bob the slob likes this.