1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"Sunderland will never achieve anything in division one"

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by CyprusMackem, Apr 8, 2014.

1. CyprusMackem

CyprusMackem Active Member

Words spoken to me by my Dad thirty five years ago. I have to say I scoffed at the time. How wrong I was.
    So to the mess we are now in. Many will blame Gus, Bruce, PDC etc....Any bugger except the real culprit.....
    Ellis Short.
    The bloke is a billionaire yet has invested next to nowt when sales are taken into account.
    Unfortunately Sunderland are a unfashionable team, untill the day we find a backer who will invest big in SAFC like has happened at MCFC we are doomed to mediocrity.
    Got to say I'm bloody sick of being called negative on here when it was obvious we are fooking ****.
    Ive been on this little planet 47 years. In that time we are regularly the sixth best supported team in the country. When did our club last finish sixth? Not in my time.

SMUG you owe me a tenner....Pay up you big fart....:emoticon-0148-yes:

2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

We are Sunderland..We are not a fashionable club, but it is the club I was born to support and that will never change regardless..

3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Agreed

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Up until this season he did invest - he just invested badly

This season he put his faith in de Fanti getting value for money in the European transfer market

Again, bad decision making

5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

ellis shot himself in the foot when he became the patron for the financial fair play rules without fully understanding them prior.

he balanced the books yes, but he deteriorated the squad in doing so, really got it wrong imo

still think he's the right man at the helm, would **** maggie off though

6. rokermicko

rokermicko New Member

I agree I don't think he has invested much, its all off the back of sales. We spent more under drumaville. Sick of people saying he has put his hand in his pocket. We couldn't even compete with hull on huddlestone.

7. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Only thing maggie has going for her is big tits, which I happen to like.
    And a nice pair of eyes of course.

8. BalesBalls

BalesBalls Active Member

Wonder if Short woke up one morning in good olde USA thinking he was now a sunderland supporter, or woke up thinking Sunderland FC maybe I can make some more money

9. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

What do you think?

10. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

He's American, what do you expect? they are renowned for keeping a firm grip on the purse strings mate. He will balance the books and the club will trundle along without owing the banks too much money, we'll buy mediocre players and finish bottom to mid table every season. This is our future mate, we are no longer the 'Bank of England' club like back in the 60's.

11. biffa1965

biffa1965 Member

Here here, Bonny Lad !!

12. Shy Tall Knight

I agree. Short needs to **** or get off the pot. Either invest in the future long term success of the club as a Premier league force or, which is what I think he's up to, get it profitable as quickly as possible and sell it.

There is no sentiment in his decisions just $ signs. What league we're in is matterless as long as the books are balanced and in the black.

(Just to be pedantic like, we are still owned by Drumaville. Short bought Drumaville not the club from them.)

13. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

What rubbish, give the man his due, we are going down, but it is not Shorts fault, just look at the players we have spent millions on, absolute rubbish.

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

So Short is clear of any blame?

15. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Yes, apart from a liking for big Irish tits.

16. Shy Tall Knight

Short has a habit of de-motivating managers to me. From Keane onwards all managers have flourished in the short term then to rapidly sliding results and, ultimately, the sack!

I once read 'The speed of the leader dictates the pace of the team.' Ultimately, Short is the leader.

17. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I think he'll invest more once the books are balanced, our wage outgoings have been ridiculous, there's no point investing if that investment is going to be swallowed up by out going debts from running in the red. If anything he's wised up, he gave Quinn and Bruce an open check book to run around with, they spent his money badly. Never mind some of the questionable transfer fees, the contracts alone are crippling, wouldn't mind if the skills matched the wage.

We've seen so many examples of throwing money at financially troubled clubs only for it to make things worse. Fact is lads is that we run in red, to stop this isn't by throwing 50m of cash at new players and trying to win our way out of trouble, that's trying to paper over the cracks, the way to do it is to cut costs, create a self sustainable business and getting us running in the black every month. When we're in that position, that is the best time to invest cash to give us the best chance possible to get the best out of that cash injection. We need to give Ellis the chance to write his wrongs. He seems intent on doing that and we should think ourselves lucky he is, because if he cuts his losses and walks then we're ****ed.

18. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

And he's getting us sorted, trust me, Your quote makes perfect sense, the only problem is that Quinn was the leader when our problems Occurred.

19. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Last time we did achieve something, which tier were we in?

20. Shy Tall Knight

I understand where you're coming from, even Quinny got a £2M pay-off.

But to be a great entrepreneur you have to have a massive understanding of the business you are attempting and huge desire to make it work. My issue is that, although the desire seems to be there, the knowledge is sadly lacking.

Short is on one hell of a learning curve if he intends to stick around. It's this point that concerns me, will he stay once he can make a profit selling the club?

Anyone fancy chipping in to buy him out?:emoticon-0105-wink: