1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Portsmouth - Saturday 17th August - KO 12:30

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 15, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Aug 17, 2019.
  1. Home win

55.9%
  2. Away win

11.8%
  3. Draw

32.4%
  1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Can anyone beat this, I was with my two young grandchildren in what was termed 'crazy science' poking pencils in plastic bags full of washing up liquid, making slime, volcano of vinegar and bicarn, and big bubbles..
    Meanwhile my mobile was in the table so I could watch the match.... what the other adults thought of my outbursts I dread to think.

Ps best science lesson ever

2. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Eh ? WTF does that have to do with is he injured or dropped ?
    Ross started him 1st game and he looked good pre-season, he looks like he can play a killer ball , I've not heard anyone get on his back, quite the opposite.

clockstander and ImissedShack like this.
  3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’m with you on this.

What we do lack Embleton looks like he has, he’s not scared to run with the ball, looks forward and he doesn’t mind a shot. You’d only fancy McGeady from range and that’s a good tool to have, goals from nowhere.

I’m thinking it might just be JR being smart, get a few points on the board then start introducing him. CM is unforgiving in this league but as the teams confidence grows we will want to do more.

It’s 5 goals in 2 games of course so regardless of stats, that’s been a massive upturn.

clockstander and Gil T Azell like this.
  4. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

No joking but maybe Loovens could do the same and make us all eat our words, this time last year Baldwin was by far our best defender, now he has been written off, its the same with Flanagan, the scrapping of the reserve leagues has left many players in limbo, maybe the powers that be should look at that decision again, (necessity is the Mothers of Re-invention). :rolleyes:

Gil T Azell likes this.
  5. clockstander

Surely JR should have spotted this, just about everybody else had, I could not believe it, when he announced that team for the first home game, it was a disastrous team selection imo., and wrecked our chances of a good start to the season, casting serious doubts in my mind about his ability to manage the squad.
    He has finally blundered his way to rectifying the mistakes of that selection, I watch his next moves with interest. OaU.

Gil T Azell and Nads like this.
  6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

How can a defensive selection wreck our chances in a game where we only concede 1? I thought it was the forwards which cost us first match. Got the ball in good areas plenty but Grigg never looked like he wanted to get there and McNulty was always the one chasing down so he wasn’t going to score. Coupled with the lock of midfield options.

I agree Ozturk should’ve started but don’t see that as a reason we didn’t win. They huffed and puffed but created little.

7. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Just wondering on thus but their first goal came directly after a blatant shove on one of our forwards. Every little push we did was penalised yet they seemed to have to halve us to get a feee kick given. We had more booked than them despite them committing by far the 4 worst fouls of the game (his that number 6 was on the field at the end I have no idea!)

Great win. Decent ish performance without being scintillating. Central defence was excellent. As said, should be the season pairing. Full backs jury still out. O’Nien Portsmouth seemed to avoid completely. Ball never came down our right.

8. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Reading playing Cardiff right now. It's on espn so it must be on sky. Interesting because Reading sit dead last in the Championship table, but look to me to be a very dynamic side. Just shows how much things will need to change over our long journey upwards. Matt Miazga, a US international CB, has rejoined Reading on loan after being on loan with them from Chelsea for the second half of last season. John O'shea is an assistant at Reading and no doubt is involved with the CB's on the training pitch. I think this makes my hope that Miazga could join us in the Championship evermore likely.

Fentonpell likes this.
  9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Came across as if he wasn't quite up to your expectations that's all if he was dropped and not injured.

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Watched most of that game he looked very tidy and pretty comfortable with the ball.

Hefty fullback likes this.

11. The Little General

<doh>
    S hite, read the post, its crystal clear, was he injured or dropped, no expectations or nowt, Embletons the future, looked great last year, christ, you're another bed wetter<doh>

12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

You've got track record being cynical to be fair so maybe I've taken that into account too.

Thanks for the kind words.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. The Little General

Ha Ha, and your bed wetting mate is liking it <laugh>

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. The Little General

Eh ? Maybe the mid field have to defend this poor selection rather than get on the offensive ?

You're thick , no idea <laugh>

clockstander and marcusblackcat like this.
  15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Grow up man!

16. clockstander

17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

??