1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Plymouth Argyle - Tuesday 19th January - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 18, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 19, 2021.
  1. Home win

84.5%
  2. Away win

2.8%
  3. Draw

12.7%
  1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't think we're as bad as all that. Get a competent and gobby keeper in, Hume back, O'Nien in CM alongside Winchester or Leads, ditch Grigg and Graham and replace with decent attackers and we'd be a good attacking side with a bit of backbone.

It was grim yesterday and they needed a bollocking but imo it's tweaks needed not a gutting of the squad.

Staying in the championship once you're up is another matter entirely mind.

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Still think we played better football last night than at any point on Saturday. You could see the building blocks are there, just needs ironing out a bit

Nacho likes this.
  3. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

My opinion is that it's the pitch that needed 'ironing out' Marcus . . . . last night we struggled 'cos we weren't able to play our proper game, and were desperate to get the ball up the pitch via means other than being able to employ our usual passing game :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Think my ironing out means we need a player or 2 to make a difference
    Hume and O’Nien will be massive for Johnson IMO. Think O’Nien especially as his press and energy is unreal. He’d start ahead of scowen at the weekend for me

5. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Aye . . . . I knew what you meant, Marcus :emoticon-0148-yes:

Gil T Azell and marcusblackcat like this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think it was the first time under Johnson that I could see the attacking intent that I've been expecting and there was some good football, especially coming from O'Brien and Diamond.

As Gordon says the pitch was a big problem for a zippy passing game and we never seemed to grasp that our balls over the top were bouncing too far away from the attackers because of the rain.

7. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

The Norton Cat likes this.
  8. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210120-110204_Samsung Internet.jpg

As soon as the final whistle went last night I tried to immediately switch off.

Looking at the table this morning and I'm even more annoyed. Win last night and we go 6the above Charlton who have played 2 more games than us.

We seem incapable of putting a run of results together and the gap to 2nd is only going to grow.

Signing a striker before deadline is critical to us making the play offs

9. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

10. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Totally agree with your post, the word I shouted most at the TV was coward, most of them are quite happy to give the ball to a teammate in a far worse position than they were in possession or stand two yards apart and leaving us one short ten yards up the pitch. What can Power or Winchester do with the ball that Wright/Willis/Leadbitter can't, take responsibility ffs. If you want to break teams down, look for space to receive the ball higher up the pitch between their lines, it's not rocket science - rant over
    I'm not having a go at Wright, Willis or Leadbitter by the way, if they have no one making themselves available ahead of them they will either play long or keep possession by playing the safe ball.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    BOYCEY and Robertson like this.

11. Essayyeffcee

That was my pet hate last night watching the match. The amount of times they were passing the ball 5 yards between each other, not bothering to take a man on, playing a pass to a team mate then instead of making themselves available for a return or actually moving into space to receive the ball - even Danny Collins picked up on this a number of times during commentary and for me the worst of the lot just standing next to a team mate when he has the ball! All basic stuff that players who are getting paid thousands a week don't seem to be able to work out. I know the pitch didn't help much last night but Plymouth seemed to master the conditions a lot easier than we did, whether that is down to ability or determination I'll leave others to make that decision.

Montysoptician likes this.
  12. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

It happens regularly with us, I rage about it, even when we are in the SOL, then get a ticking off from my missus <laugh> If I have the ball in space, the last thing I want is one of my mates running toward me, I want him looking for space so I can find him.

Hefty fullback and Essayyeffcee like this.
  13. Essayyeffcee

What really gets my goat is when we attacking down the wings and get towards the 18 yard box. Say the right back gives the ball to Diamond for arguments sake then just stands there and waits for Diamond to take the whole defence on rather than go on the overlap to create space for him or god forbid - receive the ball back and put a cross in! The amount of times I shouted at the tv for a player to go past him rather than just stand there. Maybe I reminisce for football the way it used to be played, in the days when you could actually tackle the opposition to get the ball back without them looking like a total jessie and rolling the length of the pitch

BOYCEY, rooch 3 and Montysoptician like this.
  14. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

He can’t pass, he can’t shoot, he isn’t quick and he gets dispossessed easily. He’s absolutely rancid and not good enough.

15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

That's not CONSTRUCTIVE <laugh>

16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

17. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Yep. It’s only good playing like that if you’re winning and keeping the ball. At no point were we doing that last night so none of the piddly 5m passes were stupid. At times, we looked decent on the ball. The move leading to the goal was very good. Has the attacking intent but it didn’t work with those players. @clockstander rates Neil or Curry (or both??) and maybe that’s the answer? I can’t comment as I haven’t seen enough of them so I have to bow to your superior knowledge clocky. At Sunderland, everyone seemingly comes to look for a point a grab a goal if they can. Even hull did that which tells you we’re a team that is feared. Problem is we look as scared or more scared of ourselves than the opposition are at times!!

Montysoptician likes this.
  19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I shut down the laptop almost straight after the game finished and watched the telly <laugh><laugh>

Over it now - we are 3 points off a play off place <cheers>

20. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

With 2 games in hand on some!! Ever the optimist.

Sunderpitt and RTB like this.