1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Lincoln City – Tuesday 11th January 2022 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 9, 2022.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 11, 2022.
  1. Home win

92.4%
  2. Away win

1.5%
  3. Draw

6.1%
  1. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

I do wonder how much of it is for show (not that I think he deserved his red last night unless he said something to the ref) - almost as if he's trying to act the big angry man to get the fans onside

2. TopCat_

There was a point midway through the 1st half where he was jumping up and down at Doyle and Flanagan just passing the ball sideways. Was noticeable that 18yo Doyle gave him plenty back

Robertson likes this.
  3. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Am really not a happy pixie today
    Firstly, me and a lot of people were saying we should not play the 2 games, we did and we were punished. Perhaps a mixture of arrogance and stupidity, who knows.
    We could not get out of this division with a full team,how on earth are we going to do it with half a team, including playing the 3rd choice keeper, who has let in 6 goals in 2 games
    Even after the game on Saturday it was obvious that we should pull out of the game last night
    Secondly, the pitch
    We are a footballing team, how the hell have we not got a good pitch, this does not reflect well on the people running the club at all

DH4, clockstander and Robertson like this.
  4. Tics34

Tics34 New Member

Nahh we thrive been there done that got the t shirt we will win 4 of them games you wait and see, seems like you badly underrate us, going off a lottery on the first game with a new starting 11 after administration then playing our reserves

5. The realist

The realist Active Member

Which says a lot doesn’t it.
    His reaction to our goal against Arsenal said a lot for me. We are a proud club with a proud history and he celebrated us pulling a goal back against them as if we’d just scored a last minute winner in the champions league!
    If that’s the kind of standard he’s setting it’s little wonder his managerial career has been so ordinary.

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The officials regularly lose control and allow things to blow up.

7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Still no news of any new striker....

Would it have made a difference last night?

I heard the game is officially now known as 'Maguire's Revenge'

Robertson likes this.
  8. The realist

That doesn’t mean managers can take law into own hands. His conduct on sidelines is embarrassing. His antics last night was his own doing, nothing to do with officials.

Porterfield73 and TopCat_ like this.
  9. TopCat_

And the lad shouldn't have even been on the pitch to score his 3 goals. How this isn't a red is beyond me....

DH4, smithy in nl, Whittylad and 2 others like this.
  10. The realist

Yep definite red card.

Whittylad likes this.

11. TopCat_

I admire the club's approach to try and get the games on. 10 seconds away from a victory on Sat and had the ref done his job last night then Maguire isn't even on the pitch to score those goals.

In my opinion, both starting XIs were good enough to win both games

I'm sure Johnson and Speakmann are now in agreement that it was a mistake to play those games

Live and learn

12. Sunderpitt

Yes it looks like a red... but didn’t Doyle(?) do a similar challenge and wasn't sent off either? Like Kane...

Whittylad likes this.
  13. TopCat_

Are you talking about the challenge that led to the scuffle? It was wild but not convinced he made much contact

14. Sunderpitt

Unfortunately I did not see all the game... just read various posts on here and another place..

TopCat_ likes this.
  15. TopCat_

We are committed to playing a certain way and I get that. I'm happy with the style of play this season and we are still in a great position to go up but there have to be times where you compromise your beliefs to win a game of football. Yesterday was crying out for a more direct style because Lincoln were pressing high and the pitch was a cabbage patch. We have a 6'5" striker who won everything in the air yesterday. The obvious thing was to sit deep, ping diagonals onto Stewart's head and get Pritchard/Diamond/Gooch running on to the flick-ons but instead we had Doyle and Flanagan passing the ball to each other whilst everyone stood still and watched.

16. You might be right,but whatever he does it for,it doesn't work. I think it communicates the wrong signals to the players....instead of staying calm and encouraging them to do the same,it seems to instill a feeling in them that they are being hard done by and they then get distracted and stop concentrating on their game.
    I agree with @Prehab26 ,the league are going to come down hard on him.

As for the match,the set up was all wrong. We have to go to a back three for Saturday. If Wright isn't fit,then he'll have to play Younger or the Kosovan boy.

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  17. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I didn't say it did.

18. The realist

So what’s your point? What have officials got to do with Johnson’s stupidity last night?

19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Doyle’s was in injury time at the end. Maguire’s after 10 minutes. Awful awful challenge. Career threatening. But we’ll just give him a yellow and be done with it. Doyle’s was a bit wild, but made very little contact

20. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

The most frustrating thing for me is that there is no way we should have lost that game.

Lincoln were well-organised and closed down the spaces. We needed to be patient and solid. A draw was the minimum result.