1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Hull City - Saturday 9th January - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 7, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

55.4%
  2. Away win

16.1%
  3. Draw

28.6%
  1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah does seem to have a bit of an edge to his character but he looks composed on the ball.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  2. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

We have lost some of that momentum but we are only 3 points off the play-offs. It seems that anyone can beat anyone in this league and we have already had our Covid outbreak, other teams will probably go through that in the next few weeks. A good run will see us climb the table very quickly - just look at Oxford.
    Lets hope that we sort ourselves out this week and get back to creating chances, attacking the opposition and winning games.

Table.GIF

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Do you mean that we didn't score? We created that chance with a very intelligent free kick by Grant, a good looping cross and a very good header. That was completely undersold by the Sky commentators.

Hull had one sitter they missed oi the eaves hitting the bar. The Burge save was a tough chance from a tight angle IMO. Have to be a top player to be able tog get that past a keeper.

Our goal was actually a very good goal. Sky were all about how poor the defending was. Nothing was said about their number 5 (the scorer) being offside either (or very little). Can imagine if Hull had scored the goal we did, that co commentator would've needed an entire kitchen roll to clean up his over excitement. Because we scored it it was just poor defending. Pretty sure he even said that the lad who scored for them had to be sharp to get the finish in so well done (or something like)

Nig and clockstander like this.
  4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Remember another player who was a little older than Jack when he signed for us at this level but had a bit of a temper on him? He did OK didn;t he? Despite a few silly red cards (I remember him getting sent off for punching an Ipswich lad after he scored!!)

I don't mind a hot head (hence the fact that Catts was my favourite player for years!!) - You certainly need that edge at this level.

Nig, rooch 3 and Montysoptician like this.
  5. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

I meant apart from our goal, I thought that would be obvious.

6. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Sorry, wasn’t meant as a dig(although, reading it back I can see how it may seem like one - apologies), just basically saying that, for me, Hull created one clear cut opportunity (Eaves hit the bar) and nothing else. The free kick they scored from was a poor free kick.

Culinary likes this.
  7. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

I thought this game, although sensible to rearrange, was a hiding to nothing. Playing a team at the top of the league, who've been training regularly, on short notice after not training for a month or so sounded ominous. Under the circumstances I'd say that's an excellent point and whilst we were ****e Hull were no better and look where they are. I've said all year we're a player or 2 from walking this league, but that's been the case for 3 years

8. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cant argue with any of that 'general build up play' is of secondary importance in this league, all that matters imho is getting the ball in the net then employ ****housery for the remainder of the game..no team has 'stood out' in near 3 seasons and literally any one of them can go on a bit of a good (or bad) run, LJ seems to be getting there but has really been limited with how much he can do with injuries and isolation using zoom to keep in check with them all.

i feel the majority of sensible fans will agree we do not look too far off a squad capable of putting a good run together, something they have not done ...yet.

rooch 3 likes this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Looking at the last 6 results it's clear that a run of wins can make a huge difference quickly ...

... no one seems to be consistent.

samwise_new and RTB like this.
  10. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

We can forget that unless we sign someone who is capable of putting the ball in the net.

Sunderpitt likes this.

11. Smug in Boots

I believe we will.

Wolfy likes this.
  12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Tempus fugit

13. Smug in Boots

Spanish striker?

14. Sunderpitt

Definitely a latin speaker

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. Sunderpitt

Just watching Marine v Spuds, Marine's CF a chubby PE teacher, is giving the Spuds defence some stick. I hope Wyke is watching this and learning !

Smug in Boots likes this.
  16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I think we would have a lot more success if LJ left Wyke and Graham out of the reckoning altogether, and built a team around what is currently available.
    And tell them to stop hoofing high balls to the opposition, but to play it forward along the ground to a Sunderland shirt and see how it goes. We dont need a Kevin Philips to get out of this league I am sure their is enough goals in the players we already have available if we played football instead of hoofball to the three worst strikers in the history of SAFC, its just a shame only one of them is out for three weeks imo.

Gil T Azell and Wolfy like this.
  17. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Completely agree with that. Let’s hope Benji is back sooner rather than later, I have no idea if he will be any good, but he can’t be any worse than the current plodders. Imagine needing a goal scorer in the summer and signing Danny Graham man <doh>

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    clockstander and Gil T Azell like this.
  18. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Who do you think are the best teams in this league ?
    Say top 3 .
    I'm betting you say Hull as one.
    We were the better team second half.
    We are going through a transitional period.
    Burge got injured and dropped a bollock afterwards.
    Another draw isn't ideal but we didn't lose to a top side and hopefully we improve now Parkinson has gone,
    The signs are there.

19. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

It's fine by me ;)
    I'll give the lad credit for wanting to carry on rather than slag him off ;)
    He did well bar one mistake.
    I can imagine some slagging him for wanting to go off.
    The manager let him carry on.
    Was that decision ok by you ?

20. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

I watched the game from the start till about the 60 minute mark, I was getting increasingly irate at how crap we were so gave up for my own sake given my constant moaning was putting the mrs in a mood.

Could see what sort of game it was going to be as soon as Burge decided to stay on with one good eye and he failed to take a simple cross into the box. It annoyed me how he was obviously not 100% but decided to stay on and ended up costing us a goal, saying that he redeemed himself somewhat with a fine save from Eaves.

Speaking of Eaves there’s a revolutionary new tactic our defenders should know about, it’s called “marking”. Absolutely criminal how professional defenders can leave probably the best header of a ball on the pitch completely unmarked not once but twice in the 6 yard box. How on earth he failed to hit the back of the net I don’t know.

Our goal was also soft but credit to Diamond for never giving up on the loose ball and to McGeady who scored a clever header.

Can’t wait to see the back of the Wyke, he just cannot make the ball stick and in doing so we struggle to get players up the pitch and into attacking decisions. Having said that Power and Scowen are not exactly busting a gut to get forward and support. They’re just crap, all they do is recycle the ball left and right, they offer no attacking thrust whatsoever. I’ll let Leadbitter off on that front given he’s obviously been told to sit a bit deeper and shield the defence.

All in all though very disappointing, the one saving grace is that I thought Hull were woeful too and yet they’re somehow in an automatic promotion place.

clockstander likes this.