1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Hull City - Saturday 9th January - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 7, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

55.4%
  2. Away win

16.1%
  3. Draw

28.6%
  1. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

Despite the draws, overall I still think we look better than we did under Parky. It won't take an overhaul of the squad to turn the season around so hopefully they have something up their sleeve in terms of a bit pace up front at the very least. A creative midfielder would be very nice too!

I do think people need to calm down and get off LJ's back already though!

Nordic, clockstander and Nads like this.
  2. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

Did we create any chances? I can think of Wyke’s shinner which was a half chance in my opinion and that’s it.

Hull had two relative sitters for Eaves (bar hit and Burge save). On that basis we didn’t look the best in the game for me let alone in the league.

rb92 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  3. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

I wish I could see it, I really do. Northampton was as bad as anything I’ve seen.

I don’t really blame Johnson though. Plenty of mitigating factors. The poor squad of players and COVID being the main ones.

4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Wyke was so far off the pace I think he swapped shirts with Dean Windass at the end.

5. Drumburgh1

Drumburgh1 Well-Known Member

He is hopeless he only likes a battle so it looks if he is doing something - he never wins these battles ever he is as weak as piss. He does not want to get into space because he has no touch and hold up play and will be found out even more.

A centre forward who can hold up the ball and bring in other players and has some movement would see a massive up lift in the performance of the team in terms of creating chances.

6. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Thought that Power was very slow in releasing the ball, more evident when he was switched to right-back and tried to put in a couple of crosses. There always seems to be a massive hole in the middle of the park as well. Just need to get our injuries back and I think things will improve.

clockstander and Gil T Azell like this.
  7. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

I agree, if he had any confidence in his own ability he would come off his marker and find some space instead of sticking to him in a wrestling match.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

What about playing Curry up front, McGeady 10, Diamond and Gooch out wide?

Mobility? Sit Leads deep as he can actually pass and have Winchester if he’s capable alongside.

Put more pressure on back 4, yeah, but they should cope we are ok at back, or should be.

I don’t care how inexperienced a player is can be 12 if he’s mobile. Wyke is experienced but he has the first touch of Bill Cosby. It’s not wanted, and is harmful.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  9. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Hmm we need to start a revival quickly... my enthusiasm is starting to wane badly for this season.

I will probably renew my season ticket for next season, but may just write this one off... and not bother following Sunderland so closely for a while. I just get pizzed off.

10. Drumburgh1

Drumburgh1 Well-Known Member

He has not got that ability unfortunately. Look at his goalscoring record its okay not great.

A player like him has to get 25 plus a season which he has never done as he gives nothing to the team so needs the volume of goals to make up for this.

11. Millfield Maestro 1879

The Northampton game was drab but my god it was nowhere near the worst. We will come good, maybe not in time for this season but we will. KTF!!

rooch 3 and Culinary like this.
  12. Montysoptician

Who would you play instead of him?

13. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

It was a mistake which was caused by his damaged visibility. In response to your ‘what more do you want from him’ question. I would have loved for him to have admitted he wasn’t in a position to carry on and allowed Remi Matthews to take his place. Is that okay with you?

rb92 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Diamond is such a positive mind isn’t he?

Good coaching we could have a real player on our hands there.

Fearless, direct, likes the ball. Final decision comes with experience.

15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I thought he was one of our best players last night, but I just read through the comments on another forum and he was getting pelters. <doh>

Nig, clockstander, JammySAFC and 3 others like this.
  16. Millfield Maestro 1879

Diamond was great last night, very raw still but we have to stick by him. Our fans really scare me sometimes with their negativity. Being so critical of a good talented youngster and super critical of Johnson already. The right things are being put in place, I have faith on LJ and we just need to be patient

17. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i see these past 3 games as 6 lost points...EFL should have made the call to postpone wimbledon, yes we could 'field a team' but using that as any sort of guideline then any team could also field their reserves and injured players, we were all not quite sure how we felt about the missed games but figured if we could stay just in touch we would have at least 4 games in hand...as it is, we are only 2 games max behind 2 teams and 2 of the teams above us have actually played less.

we really needed the flow from the lincoln game to get some momentum going...which we have now lost, i still think the squad has enough about it but chances need to be created and taken, a good run yet could save this season, IF it manages to go the distance.

rb92 and Robertson like this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

As you say the final ball will get better over time but he's already not bad at it, seems to have a natural football brain and he doesn't panic either.

Nads and Gil T Azell like this.
  19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I think he looks like he could be a bit of a hothead. I have no problem with that but he is young and inexperienced so other players may try to wind him up. Otherwise he is a Diamond.

20. Montysoptician

Thought he was excellent, a breath of fresh air when he attacked the space in front of him and he did his defensive duties well. He made a few mistakes but he will only get better.

Nig, rooch 3 and Gil T Azell like this.