1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Hull City – Friday 30th July 2021 - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jul 28, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jul 30, 2021.
  1. Home win

37.8%
  2. Away win

20.0%
  3. Draw

33.3%
  4. Meh - who cares!

8.9%
  1. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

Pablo, clockstander, Nads and 3 others like this.
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Especially when Grigg gets a 7 for a one yard tap in but little else.

Oliver's Army and Gil T Azell like this.
  3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I can only remember one misplaced pass in the first half, apart from that he was superb - at least an 8 for me.
    I also think we will see whoever is in goal playing that sweeper/keeper type role as well which nearly caught us out a couple of times.
    Johnson wants to play out from the back as well, it was noticeable how close Doyle and Flanno were to Patterson on his goal kicks, it won't work every time but the crowd will need to be patient with it.

4. Oliver's Army

His new boots looked canny. <laugh>

Gil T Azell and Smug in Boots like this.
  5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

They were the same ones he bought when his feet stopped growing <laugh> never been used.

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Winchester's been doing well at RB, not that I think he's ****e he's just a bit of an enigma to me. It'll be doing him good to be putting in performances in a Sunderland shirt and maybe he'll have a great season. Seen flashes of what he can do.

7. Oliver's Army

He was good last night, looks leaner to me this season. Did a cracking crunching tackle right in front of the fans, which got a big cheer

Nacho and Gil T Azell like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

Is anyone else unsure about starting Patterson against Wigan.

I'm sure he'll become a good keeper but last night was just a friendly and he looked shaky to me.

If we play him and he's poor after 6 or so games we'll have to bring back Burge.

That reminds me of the Steele/Camp situation where he ended up with two unhappy keepers.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  9. Oliver's Army

I can't see him starting. If we get 2 new fullbacks in this week I think it will be a bit too inexperienced against Wigan:

Patterson
    New RB
    Flanno
    Doyle
    New LB

I think he will go with Burge and probably Winchester at RB for their experience and play the new full backs against Port Vale. Assuming we get 2 fullbacks of course.

Gil T Azell and Smug in Boots like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Ironically, the way we're playing, in their half, means the full backs aren't under so much pressure.

I did like the way Winchester stuck to his task and didn't go diving in.

Power was a disaster, imo, continually out of position and making last ditch tackles.

11. Oliver's Army

Winchester's height may also come into play against Wyke if he pulls off to the back post on that side. We need to stop the crosses into him as well. We know if it's layed on a plate for him in the air then he is dangerous, however if he is through 1v1 he has more chance of falling over than hitting the target.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I assumed we'd be going with Burge but with Patterson getting the majority of preseason I'm not sure. Might be the case he would have played against Hull if he wasn't glued to the toilet.

Patterson seems to be a good shot stopper and if he's a bit nervous at times that makes him on a par with Burge imo. I'd say we may as well go with potential and give the lad a try. He was reported to be a loud confident character for the under 23s so it's probably the case that he'll just need some time to find his voice.

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Get a couple more quality signings in and I would be happy to go along with the young uns we already have to make the squad numbers up.

We need to give the bairns a chance at some point. Although only friendlies they have more than held their own in my opinion. Yes league games will be tougher but we have a bit pace a bit style and in Doyle at least quality.

Robertson, clockstander and Nads like this.
  14. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I’m happy we’re playing that way, especially with Doyle receiving it. There’ll be mistakes along the way but it’s the way to go.

15. Oliver's Army

Definitely. The crowd need to get behind them and stick with the plan even if there are a few errors along the way.

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’m with this. We definitely need a couple but there’s been some really nice stuff on the park away from the meltdowns, and that’s what matters.

For years we’ve bemoaned players coming through the ranks not getting the chance, we produce players, look how many have been poached by top clubs.

If the youth level players see home made players getting games and we get up a league maybe that stops.

Embleton, Neil and Hawkes are 3 I really like the look of. As I’ve said throughout preseason we have to remember the league we are in is hardly of a standard where we need massive statement signings.

Wing backs and a physical striker are what I’d like to see, but if we go into Wigan with what we have, and play like the first half last night, I won’t be petrified.

17. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I think Patterson only went long 2 or 3 times from a goal kick last night. That’s a massive change from previous seasons. I’d love someone comfortable on the ball playing alongside Doyle.

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Haven’t seen any of it yet but it’s a great result even though it’s a friendly. A lot (well.. usual suspects really) had a comfortable loss predicted early on. Am at a running event until 3 in Druridge bay today but going to have a watch after that.

Smug in Boots and Gil T Azell like this.
  19. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Doyle will play a big part in whether we go up or not this season, the kid looks an absolute star in the making. Ben Whites just gone to Arsenal for 50m, so weve got a player here that will be worth a similar fee in the next few years. We need to hope and prey he doesnt get many injuries. Itll be interesting to see how good Xhemajli is when he finally returns. Them 2 could end up being out first choice Centre backs.
    Screenshot_20210731-111023_Instagram.jpg

Robertson, RTB, clockstander and 2 others like this.
  20. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Neither keeper is good enough, we need a really good keeper, and we should push the boat out to get one , it is such an important position.