1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Cheltenham Town – Tuesday 28th September 2021 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 27, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Sep 28, 2021.
  1. Home win

96.2%
  2. Away win

1.3%
  3. Draw

2.6%
  1. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

Another thing I loved from last night. The two lads he brought into the team Broadhead and Huggins were probably our best two players. Our strength in depth this season is crazy

2. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

It very much feels like the fans and club are pulling the right direction which hasn’t always been the case over the last few years.

there is no negativity in the stands and I think the lads in the pitch are reaping the rewards.

enjoy Pompey, I’m hoping to try and get to a few aways this year. Will be first ones in at least 10 years.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  3. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Not sure this has been mentioned yet, but looking back on last night, I noticed something that I haven't seen in a long time.... determination. Each and every play had look of determination on their face. Willingness to work hard for each other and pure concentration. McGeady probably could've scored late on in the first half but wanted to T up Ross. There's a togetherness there, not players going through the motions. We now have some squad depth and what looks to be a clear plan. It could've been 10-0 last night, but the 5-0 was a statement to the rest of the leauge. I truly believe the Chelt manager went in at half time and basically said "Dunno lads". If and it's a big if we can continue with this attitude I see no reason why the rest of the league will have to fight it out for 2nd. We will have a "dip", but hopefully enough of a points gain that we don't loose too much ground.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

A couple of really class goals and in reality we could have been looking at double figures.

5. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Yeah mate, we've had loads more Scots, but Ozzy just wondered if we've had a Scot in our team every year since we were founded. I've just shown that apart from the War years, we have.

6. Bank of England 2

He certainly had very little chance with the goals and, as you say, his attitude was spot on, considering that the defence in front of him was being carved open at will.

I would love to hold on to Hoffman mind, if we climb the leagues. Yesterday, he should have taken a pillow and a newspaper onto the pitch with him. <laugh>

7. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

sign of a good 'keeper though, nowt to do really but ran to every ball coming into the box as if defending a 1-0 lead and was in the right place when needed, some of his distribution was excellent considering we were pretty comfortable...might be wrong but think there is a clause that if we get promotion we have the option to buy/keep him.

8. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

That's the highest crowd ever to watch Cheltenham apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...sunderland-v-cheltenham-town-live-5980785.amp

Their manager admits it could have been worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...ball-news/it-could-been-six-seven-5984639.amp

@Gordon Armstrong
    Hows the old bones today ?
    You've reminded me of the time when I was young, about 11-13.
    Used to ride me Eddie Merckx bike a lot and regularly swim at the local baths.
    One day riding home with me towel in a tesco bag hanging from the drop handlebars, and only round the corner from the baths.
    Me bag got caught in the front wheel and I went head over straight on me chest and face planted. :(
    Fook me I couldn't breathe, literally.
    There was a group of about 6-7, maybe 16 to 18 year old girls passing (all fit as fook) and one was cradling me, she was panicking and kept asking if I was ok ?.
    I was totally bereft of air and gasping, I was trying to speak but couldn't. Except "cant breathe" type croaks and the odd "fúck" :D
    I remember lying there thinking, fook me am gonna die. I'm outside a police station but no sign of police and the girls were panicking and not informed the cops,
    I'm surrounded by fit lasses and probably the fittest is cradling me head in her bosom but I can't enjoy it :D and I feel I right tit <laugh>

Suddenly after what seemed an age, I gasped for breath and my lungs felt like they'd been inflated by a giant pump.
    Riding home and with my bag in a safer place, I realised I should of milked the situation to get a bit more tit cuddling <laugh>

Anyways, I told the Mrs that story years ago. She's 4 years older than me and was local to that area.
    She said " ooh I could of been one of them girls".
    I said "don't you listen love ? I said they were all good looking"
    <laugh><laugh><laugh>

SAFC2403, The Berk, RTB and 6 others like this.
  9. Bank of England 2

Agree with all of that. Even at 5-0, he gathered the ball and threw it to a team mate on the half way line.

10. Bank of England 2

I know what you mean Gil.

You can't drop Winny after his recent performances.
    You can't drop Cirkin after his performance last Saturday.
    You can't drop Huggins after his performance last night.......... Oh!

Great problem for LJ to have, but he hinted last night that changes will be made depending on the style of play our opponents adopt, so hopefully he can keep everyone happy.

Gil T Azell likes this.

11. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Just spotted this Gordon, I hope you are on the mend soon, and your recovery is as pain free as possible. Take care

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think if we go up we have to buy him, which I can't see being a problem. If we don't then at least we know they're open to selling him to Sunderland.

samwise_new likes this.
  13. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

Superb from 1-11 (and 12,13 and 14...)

Started quickly and they just seemed to freeze, certainly once the first goal went in. Attack after attack and I don't think they could have complained if we ended up with seven or eight.

Some wonderful interplay for a couple of the goals, certainly the second and third. A big mention for Broadhead who deserved a goal of his own, one of the most unselfish displays from a forward I think I've ever seen.

Of course they were pretty poor on the night, but all you can do at that point is win the game and to do it in such convincing fashion is pleasing.

A big, big game on Saturday now.

Robertson and samwise_new like this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

sorry had to do it but it does sound more confident:emoticon-0100-smile

Nacho and Nig like this.
  15. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

Joseph was another.. never lost a header when the ball was played up to him..

Smug in Boots likes this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I do fully believe we will this season, it's time.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Nailed on, hope it's early on too.
    I want to get celebrating as soon as :emoticon-0148-yes: :emoticon-0169-dance <cheers>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I’ve backed Cheltenham to go down @ 5/1. We were excellent last night but they really were garbage.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  19. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I'm only allowed one designated visitor, although I found out today that I can go 'downstairs' and see as many visitors as I like :emoticon-0105-wink:

Saf and Sunderpitt like this.
  20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

41e6Mq7P57L.jpg

Best bike for seniors...?