1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Cardiff City - Saturday 23rd September KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 21, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Sep 23, 2017.
  1. Home win

35.1%
  2. Away win

37.8%
  3. Draw

18.9%
  4. Meh - I'm going shopping instead

8.1%
  1. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Yes but he promised to get us out of that division, (and indeed did so ) Grayson hasn 't done that

Makemstine Roger and rooch 3 like this.
  2. Squint Eye

Squint Eye Active Member

Guys much as I wouldn't like you being better than my you-surely-know -which-club am really concerned by your predicament. But Short is the symptom but not the actual disease. Football now is a business and that actually takes off the delight in seeing your biggest bitter rival lose because your predicament is never football related but a result of business plan gone wrong. I honestly wish football clubs were dependent on gate collections so that these crazy sums were not being dished on **** players out of necessity

Charley Farley likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Aye righto.

4. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

As someone who has been there a million times before , it is just another hiccup

5. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

It's looking like he is going to get us out of this one

haslam likes this.
  6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

He wasn't the only one.
    In defence of Grayson, if there is one and its been said before four of our very limited strike force is currently unavailable.
    I just hope once we have a preferred eleven on the pitch we are not so far cut adrift that's our league position becomes untenable which as things are going at present could be a real possibility.
    Still its only Preston away next week, happy days.

7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

We have Ipswich away before that one.

8. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be an old man before Sunderland win the Premiership title

rooch 3 and MrRAWhite like this.
  9. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

I agree apart from putting part of our failure on Grayson but if we are still winless by the international break then excuses for SG are over. he has brought positivity to the club and fans.
    He had a massive rebuilding job to do but has come up well Short on the playing side - the important stuff, we don't need a financial target its a football target - the Premiership - I hope this is'nt too big for SG as loyal fans and media are starting to get their knives out - sorrow & worry but :emoticon-0127-lipss atm
    EDIT - last time we were in relegation zone - Keane came to rescue us and we got promotion :emoticon-0148-yes: - live in hope of similar unexpected changes

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  10. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

You need to rein back your hopes for getting back into the PL for at least a couple of seasons yet mate.

The spiral is still downwards. I'm just hoping that the basement is this league and not the next.

Still early days yet and couple of wins can change things but I fear there's more pain than hope to come in the next few months.

Swamp and red&white wanderer like this.

11. red&white wanderer

I agree with you I was meaning our goal is the premiership -but ....when. <doh>

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Grayson did bring short term optimism and he’s a thoroughly likeable fella, but right back to the no subs against Derby there’s been a bit of a concern over his in game management.

We can’t give him a free run just because Ellis is a twat, he must have had at least some input to us signing 2 additional midfielders on deadline day whilst pulling out of the McCormack deal.

McCormack’s salary demands were 20k, I’ll be stunned if any of the 3 we signed are on less than that.

He said afterwards he ‘didn’t believe we needed a striker’, if that’s not company yes man then he’s very naive as every one of us on here, we’ll we were screaming ‘we are in the **** without goals’.

Now, we aren’t playing well, but we were playing well and not scoring and that’s knocked confidence and performance levels have now dropped all over park.

The lack of goals has ****ed us and now it runs far deeper. I’m sorry, Grayson absolutely has to take his portion of the blame, even if it’s not the lions share. He has no vision to change the way we are setup mid game, when he does you can see the players are unprepared for it.

13. red&white wanderer

Agree with much of this but the need for a goalscorer was widely known esp after Defoe went.I think Grayson resorted to what he knew in getting Vaughan and Grabban both on the cheap and both second class.Williams and McMannaman are both good technically but injury prone so not proven at league level.as McGeady is injury prone and not reliable.
    It's a total mess atm and we need patience -now where have I heard this before -nearly every season since supporting the club in 1964 <doh> but I'll still be shouting for my club <cheers>

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Oh I am, and always will continue to support the club.

The point I was makin as you can’t make Grayson exempt, he’s has made some poor choices and he has set the team up badly on several occasions.

As I say I’m not saying he needs to be removed like some but to say he isn’t culpable is just wrong. The squad even with its deficiencies is easily good enough to compete in the top part of this league.

When it isn’t, eyes have to go on the manager.

15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

My dad went to the match and he reckons we played alright and should have won it. Hard to get excited about but I think performances are slowly coming together and we'll be picking up points sooner rather than later.

He also said that Grayson switched to 4 at the back during the game so while he should have started the game like that at least he recognised the mistake.

16. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

We are slowly getting better
    However we actually could of gotten any worse.
    There is a long way to go this season many games to come
    Yes we are a poor side but I see some decent inderviduals in the team that just needs a bit of luck and some jelling together.
    Grayson has a hard job on his hands and it's up to him to pick the best team for the opponents of the day.
    Ok we have had a few injuries but he will have to work with what he has got.
    Team selection is important and he must get it right.
    We shall see what transpires in the next few week.
    Let's hope he can pick a team from our
    Really not that bad of a squad.

17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I agree Vince, the squad is very good for this level.

I genuinely think we are only a striker short, we’ve lost some cheap goals but every team does in reality and it’s amplified when you can’t score enough.

If we ship a cheap goal and win 2-1 or 3-2 you shrug it off.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. leez

leez Well-Known Member

could be worse though

19. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I think get a win and it will all start
    We are not that bad really
    Just hurry up

clockstander, MrRAWhite and Nads like this.
  20. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

The main issue is the absolutely horrendous home form. Barnsley aside we've been okay-ish away from home when the pressure is off a bit. The winless home record is now etched into the minds of the players and the fans, and opposition teams thrive off it.

Not sure what can really be done to rectify it other than win, but we've already played a few beatable teams (Sheff U, Forest) and fallen well short. Really worrying times.

RTB and MrRAWhite like this.