1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Blackpool - Tuesday 12th February - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 10, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Feb 12, 2019.
  1. Home win

76.2%
  2. Away win

9.5%
  3. Draw

14.3%
  1. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Biggest time wasters of all time Blackpool, but had we done that a few times then we would have won more games. The play offs now sadly for us another bad start cost us, Grigg should have scored as well. 20,000 if they are lucky on Friday (due to being televised) on a game we need to win now to make sure we make the play offs. And don't talk about if we took our chances, Maja has gone now mate. I have a awful feeling that we have gone back to last seasons standard.

The Little General likes this.
  2. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

****ing hell, he really did miss a sitter.
    did absolutely everything else right

3. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I liked Flanagan as the late, last sub. He was active up and down the left side, and his throws into the 6 yard box are lethal, too bad we didn't have more corner attempts with three CB's and Wyke on the pitch.

clockstander likes this.
  4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Morgan

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that haha

6. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Think James was injured meaning we lost our last tactical role of the dice.

RTB likes this.
  7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I've just checked and yes it was Flanagan - I must have missed that one.

8. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Maja finishes that for sure, but does he take the ball out of the air and set himself up perfectly with one exquisite touch?

9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Well - not from a bench in Bordeaux <laugh>

10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

i was wondering who would be the first to mention Maja.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Don’t know what to make of that one to be honest. For all we were a bit better going forward I didn’t ever fancy we were going to pinch it.

I really like the look of Morgan and imagine he starts on Friday, and to be fair, Blackpool have joint best defence in league I believe.

Was still a bit laboured I feel but we did certainly try and press more, and that what we need.

I’m going to stop saying ‘we will be one of the 2’ , as frankly I can’t say with certainty we do have the best squad, I can’t pretend even being in the league I’m familiar enough with others and have been presuming.

All signs are saying Luton and Barnsley are simply better, more in tune sides with a bit more chemistry, and there’s no shame in that.

If we go up through play-offs I’ll be just as happy, if 5 more years aged, but I’m dropping g the ‘we will deffo get there’ ‘we have best squad’ and ‘we are close without playing well lines’ as of now. We are just going to have to see how we press on from here and a more attacking outlook is a positive start to that, even if it’s another disappointment ultimately.

The games in hand no longer put us too 2 so it’s time to back the lads and do what we can to help them get a run together, so hopefully people stick with the players Friday.

I only managed a pint before game as was driving but seemed super relaxed around Seaburn, I dunno about anyone else but it felt a bit choked in the stadium, people are certainly starting to get the fear of the realistic nature that we won’t suddenly run away. We were never likely to is the thing so we need that early season vibrant support back, we are part of the team.

We will be alright, but as I’ve waffled on, it’s another reality bite and we have to manage our own expectations. The top 2 appear better than us. If we accept that, then solid away draws etc will not be seen as negatives it’s a cycle of getting forward. The lads need us, they are trying, we are just a bit short.

12. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Called this one, sadly. We seem to be losing our way in front of goal and we'd better pick it up or we'll be stuck with the play-offs. I'd worry more, but there's a decent gap to the 7th & 8th teams. We're still not losing, but we're not winning much either. I think this poor run of form will eventually come to halt, but Luton and Barnley are hot ATM and we're pretty tepid, frankly. Time for JR to earn his corn...

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

That said, barring Wimbledon, everyone we’ve played in 2019 has been on a good run. Accrington are the first really without that so this Friday might be time for it to turn. Can’t make it on Friday as I’m gigging.

Still think if we play Like that every week we’ll win more games. On another day that could’ve been a comfortable win

Dorset, cumbrianmackem and Nads like this.
  14. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

True enough, Marcus. I've seen us a few times and we've won without being brilliant, so I guess things are evening out a bit. Frustrating though...

marcusblackcat likes this.
  15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Agree totally. As I said to my Dad (who has turned into the most negative supporter in the world! He’s awful to sit with) I’d rather play rubbish and win 1-0 than play well and not win!!

16. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I thought that was stupid. Charlie Wyke didn’t want to give it back either and I didn’t blame him. No idea why we did that.

17. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Sunderland v Charlton in the play-off final :emoticon-0107-sweat

Still time lads....we can still get an automatic spot. Need to get our finger out soon tho

Hefty fullback likes this.
  18. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Couldn't watch the game. Sounds like we played better when we went 3-5-2 ?

We played well in that formation at the beginning of the season, reckon we should give it a go again.

Either that, or get oviedo on. James is a solid defender but doesn't offer as much an attacking threat imo.

19. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

20. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Was saying that last night about James. He’s a decent enough left back as a squad player but he’s not as good or confident going forward as Oviedo or Hume